Author Topic: GRILLS!  (Read 4276 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
GRILLS!
« on: March 14, 2013, 02:36:41 PM »
Cooking type, that is.

I need a new one.  Mine has rusted in too many places to be useable. 

The number and options for grills makes car buying look easy.  So, are any of you grill experts?  Afficionados?  Opinionated jerks?

What I'm looking for:

- Propane only.  No natural gas around here and I'm not interested in charcoal or wood or anything else.
- Medium to small size.  400 - 500 square inches of cooking area.
- Insulated lid to help hold in heat.
- Ceramic/porcelain coated cast iron grills.
- Don't need a side burner.
- Side shelves are good.
- Don't care about IR burners
- No rotisserie

I've looked at several grill websites, but none have a worthwhile search function.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: GRILLS!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 02:45:53 PM »
The Chargriller barrel shapped ones are very good. Very affordable at Lowes too
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 02:52:40 PM »
Budget?

If you can fit the ticket in your wallet, the Weber Genesis is pretty much the pinnacle of priced-within-reach mammal flesh charring devices.  They run $700-900.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 03:03:19 PM »
Honestly for the simple type of grill that you're looking for, most any of the less expensive ones you find at Home Depot and Lowes will do you. They may not last as quite as long as top of the line (or they might -- my dad's el cheapo is 8 years old), but you're talking ~$150 versus $500+.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 03:05:29 PM »
My el cheapo lasted 10 years before rust killed the vital parts.  I liked it well enough, but wish it had a better insulated lid to retain heat.

Brad, do the Webers have insulated, or at least completely, closing lids?

Budget is about $600.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 03:06:45 PM »
My low rent Home depot grill is rusting pretty baddly (stainless my but  :'() and I'm looking to downsize grill real estate so I think I'm in the same market as you.

I've been carressing this one every time I walk through Lowes.  It's well built, gets great reviews, and feels really solid.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_277024-505-6511001_4294703259__?productId=3318328&Ns=p_product_price|0

The one I linked has porcielen coated steel lid.  So some insulation.  It closes pretty tight as well.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 03:11:48 PM »
I've got a Char-Broil that I purchased at Home Depot about 3 years ago, that I love.

It was about $300, is stainless steel, with a side burner and 4 independent internal burner controls for the main cooking surface.  Temperature controls appear to be very consistent and repeatable.  I don't have much of an opinion in regards to rust since it sits under a covered patio in the AZ climate.  It is exposed to some water from the sprinkler system via mist or condensation at night, and I have no complaints to how its handled that over the last 3 years. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 05:25:11 PM »
I've got an old Weber that you can have if you want to come get it  :P

The undercarraige needs fixing.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 05:35:49 PM »
I've never had a Char Broil or other cheaper gas grill do as well or last like my Weber Spirit 3 burner.  Lid closes up pretty darned tight.  I have straight cast iron grates, and they do extremely well.  Minimal rusting in the 4+ years I've had it.  In fact, the only thing I have done to it is vaccuum out the inside every once in a while and brush the burners.  Worth every penny.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 05:40:47 PM »
Guess I should add that I allso have my father's Weber charcoal grill.  I use gas for cooks that take 30  inutes or less.  For low and slow, I break out Old Smokey, throw a handful of wet wood chips on the liit charcoal, and let it cook for an hour or more.  I use the gas year  round,  even shoveling the snow off the deck if I need to.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 06:26:57 PM »
My next propane grill is going to a Weber Q, probably the 300.

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/q-300/weber-q-300-2

I have a Weber charcoal grill that I use over my current propane most of the time, only time the propane gets used is if I am in a hurry or don't want to deal with waiting on charcoal (or forgot to buy charcoal)

Plus the Weber Q is portable so I can use it camping and tailgating.

I've never heard of a grill with a insulated lid.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 06:36:56 PM »
My next propane grill is going to a Weber Q, probably the 300.

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/q-300/weber-q-300-2

I have a Weber charcoal grill that I use over my current propane most of the time, only time the propane gets used is if I am in a hurry or don't want to deal with waiting on charcoal (or forgot to buy charcoal)

Plus the Weber Q is portable so I can use it camping and tailgating.

I've never heard of a grill with a insulated lid.

I have the Baby Q, which is good for a few steaks, bacon, etc. and also great for going portable. Very well made, but my one complaint is the BTUs are a little weak.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 06:38:06 PM »
The Big Green Eggs have insulated lids.

I'd be happy with a normal lid that has a full enclosed back. Mine has a large vent in back.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 06:59:08 PM »
The Big Green Eggs have insulated lids.

I'd be happy with a normal lid that has a full enclosed back. Mine has a large vent in back.

The BGE is charcoal/wood fired, not propane there.

I've had the best luck with propane grills that the bodies are made from cast aluminum for heat retention. I grill year round and I also can grill indirect on a bigger propane grill, its not as good as a charcoal but it can be done.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 07:32:31 PM »

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 07:40:09 PM »
Deez Grillz? Yo?

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 09:12:43 PM »
These are what I've been looking at getting.  Best of all three.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/smoke-hollow-combination-grill-gas-charcoal-smoker/prod8420002.ip?srccode=cii_22032207&cpncode=30-131404210-2&pid=CSE_TheFind

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/smoke-hollow-combination-grill-gas-charcoal-smoker/prod8420002.ip?srccode=cii_22032207&cpncode=30-131404210-2&pid=CSE_TheFind
I have that very one.  Function: A to A+.  Durability, not so good.  I use a lot of salty marinades, and the little metal tents over the burners are rapidly failing.  Have used hickory in the firebox to good effect.  Still like it, a lot.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 06:50:05 PM by scout26 »
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 09:28:47 PM »
- Propane only.

Pffff, why bother.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 12:20:21 AM »
Pffff, why bother.

Simple. Natural gas isn't available here and I don't want the extra work of charcoal.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 12:24:15 AM »
I'd love to assist, but I'm running the same Holland Grill I've had for going on 9 years...   ;)

http://www.hollandgrill.com/

My charcoal grill is an Aussie, but it's starting to show signs of age - although I can replace the ash pan when the time comes.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 12:29:07 AM »
Hickory, pecan, cherry, apple, mesquite, oak... Charcoal is ok for quick grilling but for the serious work ya gotta use real wood. Gas is for stoves for the wimmins to cook at.  =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 12:43:29 PM »
Just re-red the thread...I said I had my fthare's ld Weber charcoal grill.  Didn't mention that I bougt it for him as a Father's Day gift...in 1986.  All I had to do to get it ready to cook was replace the grates.  I need to replace the internal dampers for the bottom vent holes, as they have rusted through, and let the temps get higher than I want for a long smoke.  And, Larry, I have used harwood in the Weber.  Charcoal is just more convenient.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 03:50:51 PM »
we have a charbroil "red", which indicates that it cooks with infrared.  no direct flame, as it has a pan slung under the porcelain grills which gets hot enough to cook the meat.  upside, i think the meat stays juicer and no mess on the burners, as it catches all the fat drippings.  downside, it takes longer to heat up, and it will sear ok, but not super hot.  i highly reccomend getting one with a cover, as ours looks pretty much like new after 4 years.  one regret that i have is not getting one with a side burner for corn, rice, pasta, etc, as it would help keep the heat out of the kitchen in the summer.  also, keep your idiot friends from using your grill and forcing the knobs the wrong way.   :facepalm:
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 06:50:19 PM »
I have that very one.  Function: A to A+.  Durability, not so good.  I use a lot of salty marinades, and the little metal tents over the burners are rapidly failing.  Have used hickory in the firebox to good effect.  Still like it, a lot.

Which one Hutch?  There are two different ones.  I've been leaning towards the Sam's Club one.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.