Author Topic: Will 5.56 prices come down?  (Read 2514 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Will 5.56 prices come down?
« on: March 22, 2013, 08:13:55 PM »
I'm really thinking of trading/selling my 5.56 upper in favor of 5.45 after seeing ammo prices...

Do you think we will ever see reasonably priced 5.56 again?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Will 5.56 prices come down?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 08:26:52 PM »
This has happened before, and it will happen again. 93, Y2k, 08. Prices will come down when production catches up with the insane spike in demand. When it does come back down, start laying in a supply so you can relax next time it happens. I've actually sold a lot of factory loaded ammo this time around.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 08:28:23 PM »
I ran across a receipt the other day... 34.95 for a 250 round box of remanufactured .45acp

Sigh

This was around 2004
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 08:29:51 PM »
My thoughts on this after reading up on and just now purchasing a 5.45 upper...

I'm not going to trust a 5.45 upper as my main go to rifle based on the reliability reports mostly around the magazines.  That said, it is a really cheap way to practice so I am setting it up with the same stuff as my good 5.56 rifle with lesser optics.  I also have a lot of it stockpiled already.  The other reason is there is all manner of good defense loads for 5.56, not so much with the 5.45.  FMJ is the order of the day except for Hornady v-max and there are some wolf soft points.  Reloading is not really an option either with 5.45 right now.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 08:33:21 PM by 41magsnub »

Lee

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:34:48 PM »
The last time I thought it was reasonable, was 1995, and about 10 cents a round.  It's all perspective I guess.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 08:35:16 PM »
Some day.

However, I wouldn't put all my eggs in the 5.45x39 basket.

You're solely dependent on former Warsaw Pact manufacturers, of dubious quality, and ALL of that ammo is imported through U.S. Customs.

There are neither domestic manufacturers, nor handloading components for that chambering.

I actually looked at forming brass from something else, and swaging 5.56mm bullets when I was getting excited over the East German 5.45x39 bolt sniper guns that were coming in back in the day.

IIRC, it was either an Executive Order or BATF edict that killed steel-core 7.62x39 after Thomas Spithaler's OA-93 AR pistol fiasco.

That's a mighty thin logistics tail, easily severed. If you've already got a stash, or can lay in a decent stash, I'd say you might have some fun for at least a while.

Just keep your .223 upper handy.   ;)

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 08:36:14 PM »
Either ammo prices will come down, or the price of everything else will skyrocket to match  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 09:01:44 PM »
Need to hurry up and get my garand out here and get it fixed. Doggone korean surplus 30.06 is stil reasonable

I'm just frustrated. Ammo prices are retarded right now
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 10:56:22 PM »
Either ammo prices will come down, or the price of everything else will skyrocket to match  =|

This. Prices fall back, but barring something disruptive in the market, they don't fall back all the way. We have a bit of a plateau, and barring more panic, the plateau gets cheaper in real dollars adjusted for inflation.

I'm hoping the ammo hoards depress demand at the end of this, reducing prices a bit further.
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 11:04:21 PM »
5.56 is the caliber of the usa, in a right running world, the CMP would deliver it by the case to the post office for local distribution to scout troops and marksmen.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 09:16:26 AM »
5.56 is the caliber of the usa, in a right running world, the CMP would deliver it by the case to the post office for local distribution to scout troops and marksmen.

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 10:37:02 AM »
I've got a 5.45 upper.  Works great with new manufacture steel case ammo.  So far, the surplus ammo isn't working so well.  I am still slowly working through that to see if I can get it to work. 

If you can get one, a 5.45 AK would be better.  I have dust cover rail coming for mine so I can try it with a red dot scope.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 11:28:27 AM »
I've got a 5.45 upper.  Works great with new manufacture steel case ammo.  So far, the surplus ammo isn't working so well.  I am still slowly working through that to see if I can get it to work. 

If you can get one, a 5.45 AK would be better.  I have dust cover rail coming for mine so I can try it with a red dot scope.

What brand of upper?  Mine is a Spikes tactical and from what I have read it eats up the surplus commie stuff just fine but has had trouble with the softpoints and hollow points of which I have none.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 11:41:09 AM »
What brand of upper?  Mine is a Spikes tactical and from what I have read it eats up the surplus commie stuff just fine but has had trouble with the softpoints and hollow points of which I have none.
Mine is a Spike's Tactical upper with their battle trigger on the lower.  It made a pretty deep dent in the surplus primers, but only fired one out of 5.  I have not yet emailed Spike's about it.  I need to do that.  I got a high power hammer spring, but looking at it, their battle trigger appears to already use a high power spring. 

Work has been heavy lately or I would likely have done more with it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 11:50:23 AM »
I'm still buying ammo at normal prices at academy and Wal-Mart, including 556.
Availability will come back.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 12:07:22 PM »
Ah..  one thing I did was order a wolff extra power hammer spring after hearing about that issue.  Actually, I ordered a Giselle SSA for my go to rifle and am moving the decent GI trigger that I polished up in it to the 5.45 rifle along with the new XP spring.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 12:20:36 PM »
5.56 prices will come down shortly after Obama gets our military out of active involvement in Middle East political affairs.....

.....  :rofl:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 12:48:42 PM »
Need to hurry up and get my garand out here and get it fixed. Doggone korean surplus 30.06 is stil reasonable

Be careful with the Korean surplus.  The KA headstamped ammo is corrosive and some lots of the PS ammo are not safe: http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?25547-Interesting-Report-on-Korean-M2-Ball

Of course, I find this out after buying a metric buttload of PS headstamped fodder . . . .
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden