Author Topic: Traded paint today on the motorcycle  (Read 7060 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Traded paint today on the motorcycle
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 06:39:18 PM »
I wouldn't trust a tow company

Load it up an take it to your local shop
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Traded paint today on the motorcycle
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
A thousand times yes. Only once had bike on tow truck. Not my idea. I was cuffed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 07:15:29 PM »
Jesus *expletive deleted*ing Christ on a *expletive deleted*it Covered Punji Stick.

Tow truck shows up at my house.

Load bike on flatbed tow truck.

Suddenly, tow truck does not have authorization to tow my bike anywhere.

Wait around for half an hour while the left hand talks to the right hand.

Then unload the bike and tow truck leaves.

Got on phone with USAA (dumbass Saturn driver's insurance) and complained.

Dispatching another tow truck.

Yay. :mad: :rofl: ;/ =|
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 07:17:03 PM »
Load bike

Take to shop yourself

Avoid heartache
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 07:24:20 PM »
Load bike

Take to shop yourself

Avoid heartache

Haz nothing to load bike onto. =(
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 07:26:16 PM »
Haz nothing to load bike onto. =(

Ah

Bummer

For future reference - a very serviceable motorcycle trailer can be constructed from harbor freight components

If you were close to me I'd bring over my truck
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 07:49:36 PM »
As part of that rebuild I had a line made at Pirtek (they are an industrial hydraulic line supplier). Teflon lined, stainless braided, with a polymer coat over stainless. About zero expansion and should last forever.

Nice! How much was that?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
Bike gone now.

Down to 1 bike, my old XR600R.
--Lysander Spooner

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 08:10:59 PM »
Bike gone now.

Down to 1 bike, my old XR600R.

I'll take it off your hands
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 08:31:10 PM »
Nice! How much was that?
If I remember right, somewhere around $45-50
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 09:41:05 PM »
Ah

Bummer

For future reference - a very serviceable motorcycle trailer can be constructed from harbor freight components

If you were close to me I'd bring over my truck

please elaborate?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 09:46:06 PM »
Sure....

I got the "folding" harbor freight trailer with the larger wheels on sale.

Added two sheets of pressure treated plywood, assorted hardware , and a decent Moto chock. Extra bolts so it doesn't fold anymore

Total? Under 450 including trailer registration

Lemme go find a pic
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2013, 09:48:12 PM »

Here's a pic
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2013, 10:06:59 PM »
thanks, I'm probably going to ask a friend for a tow sometime in May. I do have to get one of those though.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2013, 11:31:42 PM »

Here's a pic

Cool!

How do you load it?  You've got about 12-16" to lift the bike, seems to me.

I was talking to the guys in the service dept, describing the hit and the damage to the bike.  Service guy actually suggested the bike might be totaled, which shocked me.  It was $8000, with $1200 in accessories on it (windshield, saddle bags, brackets, passenger backrest, luggage rack, aftermarket kuryakyn pegs).  Add in almost $1000 in sales tax and such and it's $10,000 to replace the bike.

I'm guessing an insurance company would try and screw me down to $6000 to $7500 at the most, and to replace the bike I'm looking at a $3000 discrepancy.

If it gets totaled, I'm thinking I'm going to go with a slightly different bike.  Something a bit more traditional in orientation, and a bit more power.  That Honda CB1100 that we were talking about a few weeks ago interests me, as well as a Triumph Bonneville.

But I'd prefer to just have my bike fixed for now.  It's got visible impact damage on the suspension and rear hub interface with the shaft drive.

Getting a new bike would screw over my motorcycle trip.
--Lysander Spooner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2013, 08:17:35 PM »
Do you really want a "totaled" bike fixed?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2013, 08:39:13 PM »
Do you really want a "totaled" bike fixed?

It depends. A friend of mine was hit in a parking lot, and it tipped over.  It was totaled from minor cosmetic scratch on the frame, the labor to switch it cost more than the bike was worth. He took a pile of cash from the insurance, bought the bike back from them at salvage value, replaced the fairing and a few other parts, and pocketed about a thousand. The bike has a salvage title now so resale value is down, but he planned on riding it for a long time anyway.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2013, 08:57:50 PM »
It depends. A friend of mine was hit in a parking lot, and it tipped over.  It was totaled from minor cosmetic scratch on the frame, the labor to switch it cost more than the bike was worth. He took a pile of cash from the insurance, bought the bike back from them at salvage value, replaced the fairing and a few other parts, and pocketed about a thousand. The bike has a salvage title now so resale value is down, but he planned on riding it for a long time anyway.

yup, as a mc messenger I went this route more then a few times.
It's only totaled in name only ( tino ) .

In place that have yr round motorcycle riding their is often folks that specialize in motorcycle towing, might be worth looking into for future reference.

Cool!

How do you load it?  You've got about 12-16" to lift the bike, seems to me.

fold-able ramp, cheap at harbor freight.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2013, 09:52:59 PM »
yup, as a mc messenger I went this route more then a few times.
It's only totaled in name only ( tino ) .

In place that have yr round motorcycle riding their is often folks that specialize in motorcycle towing, might be worth looking into for future reference.

fold-able ramp, cheap at harbor freight.

Yep. I have a foldable ramp
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2013, 10:22:34 PM »
fold-able ramp, cheap at harbor freight

There's stuff made out of dead trees too  ;)

Heck, I made something to haul a car out of two big timbers and four planks to set on the back of my log truck which only had the bunker turntable. 
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2013, 02:01:47 AM »
oh yeah trees, I always forget because we don't have em here in the desert.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2013, 02:15:42 AM »
oh yeah trees, I always forget because we don't have em here in the desert.

Telephone poles kind of count, don't they?  :angel:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2013, 09:40:11 AM »
Telephone poles kind of count, don't they?  :angel:

Mostly made out of the shiny parts that come out of rocks, around here. ;)
--Lysander Spooner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2013, 09:45:32 AM »
Around here we have stores that sell pieces of murdered trees.

The stuff is pretty useful for some things.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2013, 09:56:26 AM »
I had to rescue a motorcyclist friend about 6-8 months ago... his tire contracted leprosy and started flinging pieces of itself at high speed on the highway.  I borrowed a trailer from a different friend and went to pick friend #1's bike up.  Ended up using some really skanky plywood as a ramp that we REALLY shouldn't have used.  It held up to get the bike about 18" off the ground and onto the trailer.

Friend was teaching an Appleseed so I left him where he was and took the bike to my house.  Unloading, I used T-posts as supports and a big sheet of plywood as a ramp.

I was just curious if Fitz' rig had a fancy ramp built into it somehow, or if he was using one of those folding aluminum bike ramps.
--Lysander Spooner