Author Topic: Traded paint today on the motorcycle  (Read 7039 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Traded paint today on the motorcycle
« on: April 02, 2013, 12:25:52 PM »
<Jitter>

I work from home most days, but every Tuesday I physically go into the office.

I saddle up on my Honda Shadow and hit the highway, US-60 in Mesa.  Work my way over to the carpool lane during 6:30AM rush hour traffic, no problem.  About 2-3 miles down the carpool lane, I'm doing a nice comfortable 55-60 mph and the lane next to me is doing about 35-40. 

All of a sudden, a cascade of brakelights shine out about 100 feet ahead.  This little Saturn swerves so hard into the HOV lane that I can see his undercarriage.  He leaves a curving skidmark on the yellow line and veers back into his lane and tags a car, then swerves back to the HOV lane, now maybe 30-40 feet ahead of me.

I'm hitting the brakes as hard as I dare without locking them up and losing traction, desperately looking for a window to steer into to be safe.

He smashes into the concrete separator on the far left of the highway.

No matter what, my bike and it's two tires starting at 55mph isn't going to shed speed as quickly as this guy starting at 40mph and braking/swerving/smashing like he is.  I can brake, or I can steer.  I can't do both and once I lock the brakes I have an unchangeable vector. 

I move to the right side of the HOV lane, doing about 20-25mph, my only chance to avoid the accident is to pass in front of his passenger fender while he's still moving, but I have cars in the lane to my right, behind me, and in front of me (him). 

Misses my left leg by about 8 inches, his forward momentum tags my left saddlebag and shatters the kydex liner inside of it and rips the top off the saddlebag.

I come to a stop about 100 yards later on the left side of the HOV breakdown lane, afraid of out-of-control cars behind me that I can't see.  I didn't go down, but felt a good shove from his car on my rear tire from the side.

Took 30 seconds for me to frantically find neutral on the bike once I pulled over.  Nothing seemed to work right.  Just too much adrenaline.

DPS shows up, fire truck, two witnesses pull over.

Everyone agrees the swervy Saturn is 100% at fault and a dumbass. 

I now need new saddlebags.

And shorts.   :laugh:  (No, not really.)

So glad I've taken 3 MSF classes over the last year.  Gonna go take another one this month.

I think I could have avoided this if I were a more aggressive motorcyclist, along the lines of a crotch-rocketeer or experienced dirtbiker.  Cut across two lanes and lane-split or something.  But then again, I might have just gotten pasted by something else instead.

Aside from that... this is that damned-near-impossible-to-avoid scenario of nowhere to evade on the left, danger to the rear, nowhere to evade on the right and a window of safety about the same size as my bike.  And the threat comes out of nowhere and is essentially undetectable by scanning the road ahead.  Guy literally manufactured an accident out of thin air. :mad:

So, there are two types of motorcyclists:  Those that have had a fall and those that will.  I am still the latter, and hoping to stay there a bit longer. ;) 

All in all, I'm very grateful that I got through this with nothing worse than a broken saddlebag.  I need to get the rear end inspected to check alignment and the shaft drive and the fender, but it seems okay so far.   I finished my ride up to work and I'll ride her home tonight.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Traded paint today on the motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:29:42 PM »
Glad you're ok. That's a nightmare scenario, and as I'm going to be starting to commute on my bike a good cautionary tale.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 12:33:23 PM »
how many times did you say "oh shucks" while it happened?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 12:36:49 PM »
I'm terrified to drive in that kind of traffic in a car, let alone on a bike.  :O

Have you considered an M35 6x6 ?   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 12:39:01 PM »
how many times did you say "oh shucks" while it happened?

At least 47,325 times.   =D

This has me thinking about trading my bike in for something with ABS.  This model Shadow has rotor up front, drum in the rear, no ABS.  And while doing that, getting a little bigger motor than the 750cc I currently have.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 12:40:02 PM »
Took 30 seconds for me to frantically find neutral on the bike once I pulled over.  Nothing seemed to work right.  Just too much adrenaline.
DPS shows up, fire truck, two witnesses pull over.
Everyone agrees the swervy Saturn is 100% at fault and a dumbass. 
I now need new saddlebags.
And shorts.     (No, not really.)

*I* need new shorts just from reading that.  :O  (glad you're OK.)  His insurance gonna pay to fix your bike?
"It's good, though..."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 12:41:46 PM »
Good job avoiding the hazard.

Without those MSF courses (which provided you with much practice stopping quickly) you might not have had as positive an experience.

I recommend you go to an advanced rider class (MSF or otherwise) and practice threshold braking. Not that you did anything wrong, but more practice never hurts.

Outcome was good. Your training has clearly helped. I'm glad you didn't have to test your protective gear.

Stay safe
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 01:44:41 PM »
A guy that my wife worked with was fourth in a four car, actually three cars and his bike, pileup.  He was a very agressive rider and probably was following too close.  He did not make it.  I have not been riding at all this winter.  Traffic is just too heavy and dangerous, by cell phones and texting, to consider riding.  It is scary when in my F150.  I can't wait to get to my summer home up north so I can ride in the country.  I have my Ural Gear Up there.  That bike is so  unique that it attracts attention from every driver.  Every time I go somewhere I end up giving a history lesson on the bike.  I can't wait to sell this house in town and move to my east Texas place......chris3

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 01:47:57 PM »
Was the guy drunk or otherwise impaired?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 01:59:20 PM »
Was the guy drunk or otherwise impaired?

No, just a bad driver following too close and not paying enough attention.  Maybe even not following too close.  Just not paying enough attention and let himself get too close.

I may avoid that highway for awhile.  US-60 in east PHX is a bit of a cage match.  Taking the 202 in north Mesa is a bit more peaceful, but the merge from 202 to the 101 (north to my office in Scottsdale) is a significant bottleneck.

--Lysander Spooner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 03:14:20 PM »
Glad you're not writing this from the hospital.

Oh, and I was saying "Oh %&@!" while I read your post.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 05:13:06 PM »
How much assistance to you require to break the seal with your seat?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 06:03:46 PM »
good to see your still with us.   =)
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 07:16:44 PM »
You did great.  Anything you can walk away from.  Commuter traffic is hell. I lost my next door neighbor on his morning commute last year-- he locked up the rear brake ,went sidewise and released it which highsided him into a curb headfirst. Never made contact with the car he was avoiding. He was an aggressive rider, on a cruiser.
 I am a believer in ABS, even though my bikes do not have it- some experts poo poo it because they can stop better without abs- but the test is always in smooth dry controlled conditions. I think it would be entirely different on a dark rainy highway with no warning.
  fitz is right about practicing hard stops- a very useful exercise.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 07:52:31 PM »
You can second guess your reaction, but you walked away with minimal damage to the bike and none to you. That's all upside.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 08:23:44 PM »
You did great.  Anything you can walk away from.  Commuter traffic is hell. I lost my next door neighbor on his morning commute last year-- he locked up the rear brake ,went sidewise and released it which highsided him into a curb headfirst. Never made contact with the car he was avoiding. He was an aggressive rider, on a cruiser.
 I am a believer in ABS, even though my bikes do not have it- some experts poo poo it because they can stop better without abs- but the test is always in smooth dry controlled conditions. I think it would be entirely different on a dark rainy highway with no warning.
  fitz is right about practicing hard stops- a very useful exercise.

There is quite a bit of research suggesting that it's a wash in dry weather, and ABS is vastly superior in wet weather. And that's with some pretty expert riders.

Anyone who poo poo's ABS... well. Unless their last name is Rossi or Edwards, they don't know what they're talking about.
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 10:27:08 PM »
No, just a bad driver following too close and not paying enough attention.  Maybe even not following too close.  Just not paying enough attention and let himself get too close.

He was probably (make that almost certainly) texting. I was almost on the opposite end of something like that a year+ ago. Driving my wife's Cherokee on a 4-land, divided highway. Light traffic, I wasn't in a hurry so I was cruising at about the speed limit in the granny lane. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a HUGE, lifted and tricked out Jeep Wrangler roaring up behind me. There was nobody beside me, so I kept watching, and waiting for him to move over into the hammer lane.

Didn't happen. Just about the time my dinosaur brain registered "Jeebus! This dude ain't slowin' down!" and nailed the go peddle, he apparently looked up and stomped on his brakes. My Cherokee took off, he locked up all four brakes and probably rubbed several hundred dollars off the huge mud tires on his Jeep, and he missed my rear bumper by at least six or eight inches.

Any time you see something like that, it's a good bet the driver was texting.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 10:56:26 PM »
I have heard that ABS can be a bad thing on bikes, like after you've hit a pothole and need to stop it might not work when you need it. Just repeating the rumor.

Glad you're OK, I've been forced to lane split at times, but being its legal in CA where I lived for a long time its no biggie for me.

I can never really describe all to well how I've avoided the serious crashes, instinct simply takes over and I don't panic.

You did a great job both minimizing the crash and writing about it.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 12:53:06 PM »
There is quite a bit of research suggesting that it's a wash in dry weather, and ABS is vastly superior in wet weather. And that's with some pretty expert riders.

Anyone who poo poo's ABS... well. Unless their last name is Rossi or Edwards, they don't know what they're talking about.

Many ABS systems are set to max at 1g or slightly less, which is apparently the theoretical limit- but due to deformation of the tire conforming to the minute road surface roughness, the actual limit can be slightly higher- allowing a REALLY skilful rider to make marginally shorter stops- the better the ABS system, the less the difference.  Motorcycle Consumer News usually publishes figures with the abs engaged , and not engaged when they test a bike so equipped.
 I think ABS is  a huge benefit, and it is nice to see more manufacturers getting on board with the idea.

It would really be cool to see a system that would work well in a leaned condition, maybe to sense lateral g load reduction as the tire slips?..

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 01:15:54 PM »
Many ABS systems are set to max at 1g or slightly less, which is apparently the theoretical limit- but due to deformation of the tire conforming to the minute road surface roughness, the actual limit can be slightly higher- allowing a REALLY skilful rider to make marginally shorter stops- the better the ABS system, the less the difference.  Motorcycle Consumer News usually publishes figures with the abs engaged , and not engaged when they test a bike so equipped.
 I think ABS is  a huge benefit, and it is nice to see more manufacturers getting on board with the idea.

It would really be cool to see a system that would work well in a leaned condition, maybe to sense lateral g load reduction as the tire slips?..

Modern abs in conjunction with traction control does account for lean, from what I understand. Not sure if all that has made it into production bikes yet, but i do know that there's some sophisticated *expletive deleted*it happening in MotoGP and Superbike.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 02:57:20 PM »
I'm just happy I rebuilt my rear brake over winter and replaced the fluid in the front before riding. This morning some dork suddenly decided he didn't actually want to turn right and almost ran up on the little island at the turnoff, and someone behind him got all confused and just panic-stopped in the middle of the road. Naturally, I was behind the panicking guy.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 04:18:14 PM »
In addition to regular fluid / pad replacement, Id highly recommend stainless lines.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 04:52:13 PM »
In addition to regular fluid / pad replacement, Id highly recommend stainless lines.

As part of that rebuild I had a line made at Pirtek (they are an industrial hydraulic line supplier). Teflon lined, stainless braided, with a polymer coat over stainless. About zero expansion and should last forever.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 04:53:04 PM »
Niiiiiice
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 05:25:46 PM »
Ah, the insurance fun begins now.

No damage to me, but one saddlebag is destroyed and the bike took a glancing hit from 7:30 or so from the car that swerved all over.  Worried about shaft drive, alignment and rear fender.

Talked to idiot's insurance company and they're supposed to send a tow truck to pick up my bike and take it to my repair facility of choice.

Tow truck showed up at my house without making an appointment, I was unavailable at the time they showed up (was on a work call). 

Been trying to get either tow company or insurance rep to re-schedule bike pick-up, haven't heard back from anyone in two hours now.  A bit frustrated.
--Lysander Spooner