Author Topic: A rant against mice... And cats that don't eat them  (Read 2976 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
A rant against mice... And cats that don't eat them
« on: April 08, 2013, 02:36:10 PM »
I spent way too much time this weekend trying to get equipment ready to go. Much of that time was spent trying to remove mouse nests from air cleaners, manifolds, and inaccessible nooks and crannies on one tractor, one riding lawn mower, a walk behind tiller, and another push mower. I haven't even uncovered the fishing boat yet. I used compressed air, shop vac, wire, and even forceps to pull their nesting material out of places it shouldn't be. I've had some in the past but never this much, although I had to rewire all of the lights on an older tractor once.
All of this hardware is kept in my barn. The barn is also winter shelter provided by me for 3 cats. I feed them enough to keep them alive but not so much that they give up hunting I thought. I give them water, and love, and wormer or antibiotic if they need it. They manage to murder songbirds at the feeders. I know they catch some mice but obviously not enough. I have distributed poison bait throughout and I expect that will help. Thankfully the mice did not eat the electrical wiring out of anything this time.
The cats' annual performance review is coming up and one is obviously pregnant. Anybody got any alternative mouse control methods? Because I'm not gonna keep feeding cats if they aren't doing the one and only job they're tasked with. I know .22 rimfire is scarce but I've got some on hand and looking for any other options.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: A rant against mice... And cats that don't eat them
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »
snakes. Lots of snakes.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 03:03:09 PM »
Because I'm not gonna keep feeding cats if they aren't doing the one and only job they're tasked with.

Indeed, it sounds like you may be feeding your mousers too much. Try backing off the rations a bit.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:00:44 PM »
I don't mind snakes and I see quite a few bull snakes in the summer but not so many during the Midwest winter when the mice are the busiest.
I am definitely reducing the cat rations.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 04:20:52 PM »
Can you recruit a barn owl or other raptors?

Yes, less food for kitty cats.

Maybe a ferret?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 07:10:37 PM »
Start here https://adaptivecurmudgeon.wordpress.com/2013/03/15/cat-update/ and work backwards.

No, you will not hear Ringo saying "John is the devil" or find tomorrow's winning lottery numbers.  Not even how to make lead out of gold.  (Or was it the other way?)

"Replacement cat."  That's all I'm going to say.

stay safe.

PS

BSL - you might want to take notes.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 07:43:40 PM »
Useless creatures.

I'm thinking that I should just get a jack russel and train it for what it was intended.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 07:50:53 PM »
Original Bounce Dryer sheets work pretty good at keeping mice out of places they are not welcome. Has to be Bounce brand, not a generic and need to be replaced every month or so. This does a good job at keeping mice out of our camper in the winter months. You have to use a lot of them.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 08:09:25 AM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 07:52:31 PM »
You can't serve papers on a rat  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 09:13:51 PM »
Nothing more worthless than a cat that won't hunt mice.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 10:11:11 PM »
snakes. Lots of snakes.

That actually works pretty good. I have a couple of rubber snakes out in the shop that keeps down some of the vermin. I had problems with birds building nests in the fairing of my bike.

I also have shopcat. Shopcat is a stray that took up residence in my shop (pole barn) more than a year ago. I don't know the gender of the cat, mostly becasue I can't get that close to it and partly because I don't care. I have been able to see that it has a collar of some type, possibly a flea collar but again I haven't gotten that close. Shopcat seems to de a pretty good job of keeping down vermin. I haven't fed it or anything else and so long as it doesn't cause me any problems (s)he can stay.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 12:22:06 AM »
You can't serve papers on a rat  ;)

You either kill him or let him be.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 07:00:18 AM »
Useless creatures.

How can you say that about cats?

Each one is a Chinese dinner for two, and half a pair of mittens/slippers.

See?  Several (OK, two) uses for cats.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 11:29:13 AM »
Useless creatures.

I'm thinking that I should just get a jack russel and train it for what it was intended.
How can you say that about cats?

Each one is a Chinese dinner for two, and half a pair of mittens/slippers.

See?  Several (OK, two) uses for cats.

stay safe.

Doesn't anyone here have something nice to say  about cats?  Or atleast something that doesn't involve eating them . . . .  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 11:31:03 AM »
Doesn't anyone here have something nice to say  about cats?  Or atleast something that doesn't involve eating them . . . .  [tinfoil]

Yeah I do. My cat's pretty *expletive deleted*ing awesome. 10 pounds of little lion. Doesn't puke or spray. Answers to Cat Bastard.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 03:07:44 PM »

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

I love my cats. I really do. And I think, maybe, sorta, that they love me too.
However, they are cats. Their uppity ways and easily offended superiority complex invites smack talk and ridicule.
And if you think, for a second, they don't talk smack about us, you are a fool.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 03:53:10 PM »

Slippers have nothing to do with eating cats.  Nor do mittens.

There, see?  Two things already mentioned that have nothing to do with eating cats.

Now, you wan' whi' rhi or flied lice?

stay safe.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 09:35:57 PM »
I'm gonna name my next kitty after TommyGunn.  =)
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 09:44:10 PM »
My cats' job is to sleep on my chest, head, and/or face at night  :lol:

And often, all three!
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 09:56:18 PM »
No mice around my house.  I have a family of screech owls that live in the  yard.  I make sure the bird feeders are well tended to sucker the mice to come to dinner for the owls.....chris3

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 11:21:11 PM »
[/quote

I like cats.  Don;t own one, but I like them.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 12:17:42 AM »
Victor electric traps.  Polish the plates before you put them out.  Killed an entire family of rats with exactly one trap two years ago.  Live rats will crawl over their departed siblings to get into the thing.  It's really disturbing until I remember that they're rats, so *expletive deleted*ck 'em.

Beware that the rat-sized ones will also kill squirrels.  On the plus side, they're pre-cooked when you find them in the morning, so all you have to do is make toast.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 12:24:10 AM »
Beware that the rat-sized ones will also kill squirrels

And that's a benefit, not a problem!

*expletive deleted*ing squirrels. Just rats with fluffy tails and better PR...

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 12:28:58 AM »
I'm gonna name my next kitty after TommyGunn.  =)
=D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 10:42:51 AM »
We have the same problem. Mice in the engine compartment, etc. I use standard victor mouse traps. The hassle with traps is constantly re-baiting them- ideally you want to grab the trap, toss the dead mouse, and re-set with no extra work.  So far, the best method I have come up with is to glue a small piece of pecan or almond to the trip lever-I pry open the metal loop, put some white glue there, stick ib the nut, and very lightly crimp it.  I do a bunch at a time, and leave them in likely areas, and also inside the engine compartments etc.  They work well normally, the bait is left uneaten.

My garage is pretty tight, and the cats stay in there during the night- no mice there.....Your barn cats may simply be out numbered-

The electric trap sounds really appealing-- !