Author Topic: For the ship guys; Graf Zeppelin found!  (Read 915 times)

Stickjockey

• friend
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
For the ship guys; Graf Zeppelin found!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 11:06:06 AM »
Oooh.  That'll be a fun one for salvage crews to raise.  

On Aug. 16, 1947, Soviets used the ship for target practice, filling the hold with munitions before practicing dive bombing techniques on it. The ship eventually sank...
Meaning that it didn't explode before it sank.  Meaning that it's full of unexploded ordnance.  Just enough of which may have survived in the water to make it a minefield.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 11:40:23 AM »
"Just enough of which may have survived in the water to make it a minefield."

Given the condition of the munitions ships that were sunk at Truk Lagoon, it's likely that a lot of the munitions that weren't destroyed in the bombings are still live.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 12:04:34 PM »
So, is there a reason the Soviets had nothing better to do with an aircraft carrier than destroy it?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 06:19:01 PM »
They knew they couldn't build enough carriers of their own fast enough to truly compete with us on the oceans, plus they are a Continental power, their territorial ambitions were all contiguous.

So, they needed to learn how to counter our (an Oceanic power) primary method of projecting power.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

mfree

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 04:26:06 AM »
I was reading on this yesterday; even with the explosives onboard and getting 24 direct hits from aircraft they still had to torpedo it to get it to go down.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 08:23:01 AM »
even with the explosives onboard and getting 24 direct hits from aircraft they still had to torpedo it to get it to go down.
German Engineering does not just apply to rice killing automobiles.

It is fortunate that Hitler did not listen to his Generals and Admirals and went to war in 1939 instead of 1944-45 as he'd promised them.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.