Poll

See below

I leave the car in gear when I park
65 (50.4%)
I leave the car in neutral when I park
11 (8.5%)
Disabling clutch safety switch: bad idea (dangerous)
8 (6.2%)
Disabling clutch safety switch: good idea (save those bearings)
6 (4.7%)
Disabling clutch safety switch: meh.
37 (28.7%)
I'm a nancy boy who doesn't know how to drive a stick
2 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Manual transmission poll  (Read 13032 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Manual transmission poll
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2013, 01:04:29 PM »
The brakes on those old trucks weren't so great even if everything was working properly.  They really were intended for farm use instead of steep mountain roads.  I had to use 2nd gear all the way up and down the steepest parts (about 8 miles on each side).  If you tried to catch 3rd gear going down, well - you were going to die at the next switchback.

I've only owned three cars in my life and the only one that was a manual was the VW that I married into.

A real truck usually has a lower gear that makes it easy to start on a hill, but you can't go very fast until you can shift.

I'm still not used to these "newer" pickups with five speeds.  I'm not sure that first is even as low as second in my old 4 speed GMC  ???  You can start it on level ground in third with a little finesse. 

A five speed truck/bus you only use 2-5 in normal driving.  First is like low range.

If you are good with a clutch, you can get out of a ditch or slippery spot by starting in the next gear up from what you usually do.  Pull the engine down to just about to die and the wheels don't spin.

My M715 has a GM SM 420 transmission in it I very rarely find a need for 1st gear. In low range and first gear I can crawl faster than the truck will move. But in Low-Low with the front axle engaged and a little weight inthe bed I think I could pull down a mountain.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2013, 04:16:13 PM »
"Take this gearshift and shove it! I ain't usin' the clutch no more... "

Sorry, that just popped into my head. =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2013, 04:23:19 PM »
"There'd be no truck drivers if it wasn't for us trucks"

:lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2013, 09:10:26 PM »
My M715 has a GM SM 420 transmission in it I very rarely find a need for 1st gear. In low range and first gear I can crawl faster than the truck will move. But in Low-Low with the front axle engaged and a little weight inthe bed I think I could pull down a mountain.

One of my first trucks was a '73 Dodge Power Wagon.   4WD, w/ the compound low gear on the tranny as well as the 4hi/4lo split on the transfer case.   One day, just for fun, I shifted into the "granny gear" and 4 low...   At 3500 RPM, I was moving at a dazzlingly fast 5MPH....  If that....   But I could have pulled a house off it's foundation....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2013, 09:17:31 PM »
One of my first trucks was a '73 Dodge Power Wagon.   4WD, w/ the compound low gear on the tranny as well as the 4hi/4lo split on the transfer case.   One day, just for fun, I shifted into the "granny gear" and 4 low...   At 3500 RPM, I was moving at a dazzlingly fast 5MPH....  If that....   But I could have pulled a house off it's foundation....

If you could get the traction  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2013, 10:38:55 PM »
If you could get the traction  ;)

I've seen a few trucks dig themselves a grave when in low lock in river gumbo or gumbo clay.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2013, 11:49:06 PM »
I've seen a few trucks dig themselves a grave when in low lock in river gumbo or gumbo clay.
Hah!  Did that with a D7 once.  Dad. Was. Pissed.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2013, 11:04:34 AM »
Got sloppy this morning and ground the gears going from second to third.

I'm sure my neighbors enjoyed my rendition of the Gear Lash Cantata...

Gotta be more careful in the mornings... or use the clutch when I'm not fully awake.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2013, 02:26:26 PM »
If you can't find em, grind em! ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2013, 04:44:25 PM »
If you can't find em, grind em! ;)

The bus that I used to drive (IH 345*5) was previously driven by a woman who got fired IIRC.  Despite fairly low mileage it was never quite right and was sometimes hard to get into some gears even if you double clutched properly.

One day I subbed for another driver (the bus usually stayed with the route) and her bus was just as smooth as silk to shift.  It was exactly the same configuration.

I think that the driver that I replaced must have been forcing the synchros instead of coaxing it into gear  =|

Those big old manual five speeds may have been "synchronized" 2-5 but they sure worked better if you double clutched and that was how the company trained us and expected us to drive.

One day I was driving another old bus for some reason.  It was really high mileage for a school bus but it was one of my favorites to drive.  I was just doing my thing in town (must have been an event in Anchorage) shifting both up and down to slow at lights, and a kid behind me asked: "mister, doesn't this bus have any brakes?"  :O

I laughed and said yeah, it had good brakes and I was keeping them that way  :lol: