Author Topic: Need Cellphone Advise - Cingular vs Verizon  (Read 1584 times)

engineer151515

Need Cellphone Advise - Cingular vs Verizon
« on: July 31, 2006, 12:47:08 PM »
Here we go...

I've had Cingular for years.  For reasons that would make for a long, boring story I have an "old" cellphone on an old Cingular account.   My old cellphone does not text message - a feature I would like to use.  Plus the battery dies unless the phone is religiously charged.  I average well under 450 minutes per month.  I am currently not under any contract obligations.

I travel and sometimes work in remote areas of the continental United States. I must give Cingular credit regarding signal strength in areas where I thought there would be none.  

Now - I've been wanting a Rzar.  

Verizon offers a Motorola Razr V3m (multimedia) which will get me into text messaging and act as an mpeg player.  When I fly, I usually carry an mpeg player and presumably this phone can perform this service.  

The problem is that I have no experience with Verizon and haven't found any friends that use Verizon for an opinion with respect to service, signal, satisfaction, etc.  

Since the promotion requires a two year contract, I would hate to sign up and then be disappointed with Verizon.  The monthly plan charges will be identical for both Verizon and Cingular for the package minutes.  My family and I both rely on my cellphone performance (which is why I need to upgrade the equipment).  Cingular offers an older Razr model at a higher cost.  

Please give me your opinion on Cingular v/s Verizon

Thanks

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 01:09:45 PM »
I chose Verizon for my business and have not been disappointed.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 01:31:36 PM »
The area I travel to school and back is all Verizon/Alltel service (Northern Lower Michigan/UP).  I myself use Alltel, most of my family uses Verizon.  I don't know of any that have any complaints.

Why not just buy a new RAZR that runs on Cingular's network out of your pocket, without any contract obligations?  You could keep your service, and have your new phone.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 03:23:47 PM »
Verizon's network is pretty hacked togther, due to how the company developed. I frequently have problems with text messages not going through or going through with a long delay. Their network often also has glitches, where for example a call will ring, you go to answer, and nobody there; calls drop even with strong signals; calls only rign once on the handset then go to voicemail even though the calling party hears 4 rings, stuff like that. Nothing devestating but annoying. They do however in my experience have the most expansive and contiguous coverage in most of the US.

Cingulars new phones will all be GSM only. If you travel in rural areas, there will probably not be gsm service yet, but they are gaining ground on verizon daily. Note that your current 'old' cingular phone is likely a TDMA/AMPS handset which is an entirely different network, one that will begin to be taken offline next year. IF you 'upgrade' to their new gsm network you may find that the phone will not work in areas it used to.

I am currently with verizon. If rural service is of paramount importnance to you, I would suggest going with verizon and getting an analog-capable handset.

www.phonescoop.com has lots of user reviews of handsets, many real phone geeks there who buy every new handset that comes out.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 03:50:32 PM »
Your service provider is usually not the primary reasons for service problems. That resides almost solely on your choice of phones.

Service providers "rent" airtime from other providers' towers in areas where they are not the primary provider. In other words, you've got coverage. The trick is to have coverage for all the phone types. A dual-band (or better, a tri-band) phone will keep you in coverage. The better phones usually also have better descrimination and noise reduction circuitry that keeps service interruptions to a minimum and clarity at a maximum.

The "free" phone you get with your local service plan is usually a cheap piece of bovine excrement. They are the cheapest thing the company could get that would actually power up. It's a marketing tool to get you in the door and your name on a two-year contract. Nothing more. If you want a phone that works well, be prepared to ante up for a good one that will work on multiple systems.

In short, don't worry about the service provider, worry about the phone.

My father is a good example. He's had three or four different "free" phones that worked like crap on their rural cell phone network. My phone, which is an Audiovox tri-band I paid a good bit extra for, works quite well. My brother's "upgrade" Nokia also works just dandy. My mother's phone, which is my brother's previous "upgrade" Motorola is fine, too. All that, and my father is still firmly convinced that it's the provider's fault. There just no way it just couldn't be the cheap, crappy "free" phones he keeps picking. Sigh.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 03:55:10 PM »
Full Disclosure:  I am a Verizon employee (though I'm not affiliated with the Wireless side at all, I'm just another customer to them).

That said, I use Verizon Wireless and would continue to do so even if I wasn't an employee.  Here in the Mid-Atlantic, their network is the best and I only lose signal when I get far away from civilization and into the mountains (such as the va/wv border).  I also haven't run into any of the weirdness reported by cfabe.  That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just that I haven't experienced it myself.  

With the "In Network" and free calling on nights and weekends, my wife and I use our cellphones as our only phones, yet can get by with a 500min/month plan.  We typically use 2000+ minutes a month, but only about 300 or so are deducted from our pool.

Chris

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 04:11:33 PM »
Cingular is the spawn of Satan.  They write their invoices with human blood.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 05:47:06 PM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
I heard they get it from the children of T-Mobile customers.  Read it in the Protocol of the Learned Elders of Whatsitsname.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 07:11:24 PM »
The RazR is a neat bit of sculpture-and as long as you treat it as such in a clear case where no one can touch it, you'll have no trouble with it.

Carry it around with you, though, and you'll develop problems fast.  Sprint's Blade has similar issues, though to a lesser degree.  Thin=No margin of error.   It also means no battery life, sensitivity to bumps, etc.  Just bang your head against a wall, it;ll save you a lot of money.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 03:18:13 AM »
Have had Cingular for over four years now.  Sold on it last year while in NO after Katrina.  Most other guys with other service had little to none.  Everyone with Cingular had no problems at all.  I also have the RaZr and love it.  I can charge it Thursday night, take it off of the charger Friday morning, go to the woods with my Guard unit and not need to charge it again until I return home Sunday night.  Plus I have service where non-Cingular customers do.  Plus I know that the phone plays a part since SWMBO has a different phone and we can be sitting side-by-side and I will have a signal and she won't with a different phone.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 05:06:23 AM »
Quote from: fistful
I heard they get it from the children of T-Mobile customers.  Read it in the Protocol of the Learned Elders of Whatsitsname.
I hhad issues with Cingular when they promised me they would cancel my service at no charge and then proceeded to charge me, lose any records of my conversation about it, and send the bill to 3 collection agencies.  I think they have a history of doing this sort of thing.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 06:01:00 AM »
I had issues with Cingular when they promised me they would cancel my service at no charge and then proceeded to charge me, lose any records of my conversation about it, and send the bill to 3 collection agencies.  I think they have a history of doing this sort of thing.
Whenever I have such conversations with any service provider who promises discounts, freebies, relief from fees, etc, I get their name, the date/time, etc.  If they refuse to follow through, I start calling management with names, dates, etc and ask  them why their employees are making promises they can't or won't keep.  Eventually, I work my way up to a "customer loyalty" drone who will give me what I want in order to make me happy.

Chris

BozemanMT

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 06:43:30 AM »
they are all evil
cingular bought ATT wireless, which totally boned me in 2002, they NEVER get my business again
went with verizon for like 3 years, then their only customer service is when you are one day  late on  your bill despite overpaying for years.
plus, their voice mail sucks.  nothing happens for days, then all of a sudden you get notification that you have 8 messages that are 5 days old.
they got dropped.

currently with Tmobile, but I'm sure they are evil too, I just need to figure it out.

they are all evil.
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 11:19:19 AM »
I travel and sometimes work in remote areas of the continental United States. I must give Cingular credit regarding signal strength in areas where I thought there would be none.
You need a tri-band phone.  That has analog as well as digital.  They are phasing these out and they are becoming harder and harder to find.  Without that analog service, you are SOL in Podunk, KS for cellular service.

That said, I switched to Verizon shortly after the AT&T/Cingular merger because Cingular's service went to hell.  Literally, overnight, my old Cingular phone was not able to get a signal in my office where it had one the day before.  Verizon has been great and my last phone was a tri-band and I could use it at my parent's and at my sister-in-laws...both places where the occupants have digital phones and cannot use them.

Greg

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 11:34:33 AM »
Quote from: TarpleyG
You need a tri-band phone.  That has analog as well as digital.
Maybe, maybe not.  My last tri-band phone didn't get nearly as good reception in the fringe areas as my current digital only phone.  It surprised the heck out of me until I realized that my tri-bander was a cheap "entry level" phone and the digital only phone was a higher end model.  Get a better phone and you'll probably have fewer dropped calls.

Also, I noticed that anytime my tri-bander had to resort to analog, the resulting voice quality was so poor, it wasn't worth the effort.

Chris

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 12:05:54 PM »
Been using Verizon for about 6 years now.  Due to my location, I need a tri-band phone and service to Canada.  Verizon has Canada service for $10/month.  Using a Motorola v325 both for work and personal service and have consistantly good sound quality and rarely a dropped call.
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 03:27:02 PM »
Engineer,

Since you are not under any contract right now, why don't you call Cingular and ask what kind of price they want for the Razor?  Be sure to tell them that you are not under contract, but are considering renewing with Cingular.  No doubt that they will require a new two year contract for you to get a good deal on the phone.

FYI, I just switched my service to Cingular.  I bought two new Razors for the price of shipping and a new two year contract with Cingular.  I shopped around on the 'net and found www.wirefly.com  They seem to have prices as good as anyone else.  In any case, don't pay retail; don't buy from the Cingular store.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

SkunkApe

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 03:56:32 PM »
Verizon was one of the companies that voluntarily turned over their customers' phone records to the NSA.

If you care about things like that.