Author Topic: Wax slugs, anybody else shoot them?  (Read 1653 times)

dm1333

• friend
Wax slugs, anybody else shoot them?
« on: April 14, 2013, 02:00:37 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl95y4HaTzU

Basically you have a giant frangible slug or something like the shotgun version of a Glaser round.

I have killed every gallon water jug in about a 10 mile radius with these!   =D

White Horseradish

• friend
Re: Wax slugs, anybody else shoot them?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 03:19:47 PM »
I've shot them out of my Nagant revolver. They dented an old ammo tin.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 05:01:25 PM »
WH - I think you missed part of the point on the "wax slugs".   You open up a standard shotshell, and without removing the shot, fill it with molten wax....  Then crimp the shell back down.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 05:13:51 PM »
I'm actually cutting the crimp off a 12 gauge birdshot, pouring out the shot and mixing with melted paraffin wax, then putting it back into the shot cup. You don't fill the shot all the way back up to the top of the cup, and pour a little more paraffin to cap it off at the top.  I'm sure you could do the same by re crimping the shell but I don't have any shotgun reloading stuff to do that with.

You open up a standard shotshell, and without removing the shot, fill it with molten wax....  Then crimp the shell back down

How do you get the crimp undone without messing it all up?  How do you recrimp it? 

castle key

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 05:18:55 PM »
I don't shoot them, I just put salt on them.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 09:34:03 PM »
I'm actually cutting the crimp off a 12 gauge birdshot, pouring out the shot and mixing with melted paraffin wax, then putting it back into the shot cup. You don't fill the shot all the way back up to the top of the cup, and pour a little more paraffin to cap it off at the top.  I'm sure you could do the same by re crimping the shell but I don't have any shotgun reloading stuff to do that with.

How do you get the crimp undone without messing it all up?  How do you recrimp it? 

Sorry - I was actually misremembering the first time I saw information on it....   The way you do it is what I've found to be the correct way.

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 10:14:27 PM »
Wonder what happens to the pressure . . . even with grex (powdered soft plastic buffer) pressures go up a bit. With wax?  Hmmm . . . I think I'll skip this experiment.

(With no crimp, I can also see the rounds in the magazine of a pump or semi-auto beginning to disassemble themselves under recoil . . . )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 11:42:43 PM »
Wonder what happens to the pressure . . . even with grex (powdered soft plastic buffer) pressures go up a bit. With wax?  Hmmm . . . I think I'll skip this experiment.

(With no crimp, I can also see the rounds in the magazine of a pump or semi-auto beginning to disassemble themselves under recoil . . . )

Generally, the harder and more solid a shotshell's payload in the wad/cup is, the lower the pressure will be. Loose shot & buffer materials want to flatten out at the moment of firing due to their own inertia so they obdurate more in the shell, and the forcing cone etc.

The wax binding the shot together certainly isn't as solid as a lead slug, but it's probably less "fluid" than shot and buffer would be.
I promise not to duck.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 12:10:36 AM »
Why are you fooling around with trying to turn shot shells into slugs by playing with melted wax?

The old-timey technique of "cut shells" works just as well if not better, and can be done on-the-spot if you have a reasonable sharp knife blade and a relatively steady hand.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU  (BTW, you do not need a beard to make cut shells.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 01:20:47 AM »
The old-timey technique of "cut shells" works just as well if not better, and can be done on-the-spot if you have a reasonable sharp knife blade and a relatively steady hand.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU  (BTW, you do not need a beard to make cut shells.)

stay safe.

Cool, thanks. Did not know about that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 06:02:21 AM »
Hmmm . . . they generally warn against using, say, 3" shells in a 2 3/4" chamber because of a pressure spike when the crimp unfolds into the bore - not the chamber. With cut shells the whole forward end of the case - not just the crimp - goes down the bore.

The chamber volume will increase a bit lowering pressure as the forward part of the shell moves . . . but this is another experiment I won't be doing with any of my guns.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 09:28:43 AM »
Why don't you just mix the shot with molten lead then?                  ...........oh wait.

=)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 09:40:28 AM »
Cut shells seems like a great TEOTWAWKI tool.  Some things you just gotta file away.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 02:34:28 PM »
Why are you fooling around with trying to turn shot shells into slugs by playing with melted wax?

stay safe.

Whoa.  Never thought of that.  When I saw dude cutting down the shell, I was like,  :O

Not sure I would use it in a SD situation, unless I was pinned down at range and had only bird/buck on hand.

Hmmm . . . they generally warn against using, say, 3" shells in a 2 3/4" chamber because of a pressure spike when the crimp unfolds into the bore - not the chamber. With cut shells the whole forward end of the case - not just the crimp - goes down the bore.

The chamber volume will increase a bit lowering pressure as the forward part of the shell moves . . . but this is another experiment I won't be doing with any of my guns.

I would have to see some piezo-electric pressure testing to use in anything other than extremis.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 04:07:25 PM »
I'm kinda partial to shooting wax snails, myself!  =D

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 04:58:03 PM »
An old friend of mine was a River rat in VN. he said they'd open their shells, modify them in a certain way and seal them back off with the gov issued peanut butter. No way for me to actually confirm this however.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 07:25:13 AM »
An old friend of mine was a River rat in VN. he said they'd open their shells, modify them in a certain way and seal them back off with the gov issued peanut butter. No way for me to actually confirm this however.

Now if you had said they used the processed cheese food spread I might have believed you.  That stuff was great for sealing things - eat a tin of it spread on the hardtack crackers and you could go on a 3-day patrol with no worries.  I could also believe they dumped the 00-Buck and backfilled with cheese to make a slug - it would probably hold together and act like a beanbag.

C-rat PB not so much.  With the amount of peanut oil it had it made a great candle which was also an effective insect repellant.  (But you had to burn it - rubbing the oil all over just attracted bugs and made them sticky so you could not get them off.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 08:26:52 AM »
I was thinking that the PB that came in the green gov issue cans not C-rat. But I know I wasn't there so all I have is his stories to go by. I do recall reading that the snipers would take just the cheese and PB with them to eat for the clogging effect you mention.  =)
Avoid cliches like the plague!