Author Topic: An AR-15 was not used in the Newtown Shooting by Adam Lanza  (Read 4423 times)

MechAg94

• friend
An AR-15 was not used in the Newtown Shooting by Adam Lanza
« on: April 16, 2013, 02:33:03 PM »
http://teejaw.com/2013/01/24/an-ar-15-was-not-used-in-the-newtown-shooting-by-adam-lanza/

Honestly, I am not sure is this is worthy news or not, or if it was debated on the older Newtown thread.  I heard someone mention this on the radio, but the only links I can find are blogs and such.  There was so much misinformation on this shooting that it wouldn't surprise me. 

Have any of you heard anything else on this or seen other links? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
Re: An AR-15 was not used in the Newtown Shooting by Adam Lanza
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 02:34:29 PM »
I believe that it was reported early on (like day 2) that he hadn't used the Bushmaster, but when the Police released their report, and the ME theirs it was confirmed that he had.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 02:42:18 PM »
Seeing that the date that this was published was January 24, 2013, I don't lend it credibility.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 02:46:05 PM »
there should be pictures of 154 casings spread all around the rooms

The information detailed Thursday dispelled some earlier reports on what happened, Sedensky noted. Lanza wasn't wearing a bulletproof vest, for one. And besides the hallway, he fatally shot students and teachers in two classrooms, not three.

When police found Lanza's body -- killed by a single, self-inflicted shot from a Glock 10 mm handgun -- they also discovered that the Bushmaster rifle was loaded with 14 bullets in its 30-round capacity magazine, plus one round in a chamber.
This was one of 10 of this firearm's 30-round capacity magazines at the scene, Sedensky explained. More ammunition for the Glock and a Sig Sauer P226 9 mm handgun was also found.

Three such magazines still contained 30 rounds. There were six more magazines nearby -- three of them were empty, while the others had 10, 11 or 13 live rounds in them.
"One-hundred-and-fifty-four spent .223 casings were recovered from the scene," the state's attorney wrote, indicating that Lanza had fired at least that many bullets from what Connecticut authorities had described as an "assault-type rifle."

A lot of bullets fired in not a lot of time. Sedensky said, "It is currently estimated that the time from when the shooter shot his way into the school until he took his own life was less than five minutes."
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 03:27:16 PM »
I hate to sound cold-hearted, but 154 "assault rifle" bullets fired and only twenty-something fatalities ?  =|

;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

birdman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 04:03:19 PM »
Son of a ****

I wish this rumor would just simply die.  It was early reporting, proven incorrect, and now latched on by the Internet who KEEP bringing up the original reporting.

He shot people multiple times, including one victim 11 times, injured two, and missed some, and an average of ~5 shots per fatality.  The rounds fired is entirely consistent with the victim pathology and the number of victims.  ALSO, partially used Magazines were found on scene, and detailed in later reporting.

He used an AR.  Live with it.

Continuing this just makes our side look like tin foil hat wearing fools.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 04:27:16 PM »
I'm just pointing out how not necesarily deadly is the AR just because of the magazine capacity.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

birdman

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 04:55:39 PM »
I'm just pointing out how not necesarily deadly is the AR just because of the magazine capacity.

I know.  But given the projectiles used, the time till medical arrived, and the age of the majority of the victims, I would bet the casualty count would have been effectively the same with far less rounds fired.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 05:36:59 PM »
I know.  But given the projectiles used, the time till medical arrived, and the age of the majority of the victims, I would bet the casualty count would have been effectively the same with far less rounds fired.

Yes, definitely.

Or with a 30-30 or shotgun.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 06:19:55 PM »
Yes, definitely.

Or with a 30-30 or shotgun.

Hmm.  Disagree.

A room full of 20-odd people just doesn't get massacred with no resistance if the shooter only has 5-8 rounds available before having to reload.  A removable box magazine might mitigate that and make it possible to still wipe out 20-odd people, but tube mags... I don't think so.

Unless you can somehow create cowering sheep that sit in the corner, afraid of the 4-5 rounds in your gun as you keep shooting 1-2 into the crowd and topping off without running out... and they continue to comply.  If so... it's Darwin at work I guess.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 06:26:02 PM »
Hmm.  Disagree.

A room full of 20-odd people just doesn't get massacred with no resistance if the shooter only has 5-8 rounds available before having to reload.  A removable box magazine might mitigate that and make it possible to still wipe out 20-odd people, but tube mags... I don't think so.

Unless you can somehow create cowering sheep that sit in the corner, afraid of the 4-5 rounds in your gun as you keep shooting 1-2 into the crowd and topping off without running out... and they continue to comply.  If so... it's Darwin at work I guess.

but a room full of 5-6 yo, with only a teacher or two, wouldn't stand a chance either way.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 06:53:42 PM »

Like packing them in a building, teaching them from a young age that protecting themselves with violence is as bad as initiating violence, and if they just wait an authority will come save them?

birdman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 07:10:01 PM »
Hmm.  Disagree.

You mean like rooms with way more people to resist getting shot up by a guy with 10 round mags? (VT)
Or a room with hundreds of adults, many of which were killed with a shotgun AFTER the firearm with removable box magazine jammed?  (CO)

The problem is people are sheep.  If they are (early Warsaw ghetto, pre-uprising when even single/double teams of soldiers could heard crowds), it doesn't matter WHAT weapon, or even if its loaded.

If they weren't, it doesn't matter what weapon, the crowd will win (flight 93).

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 09:36:20 PM »
Okay, so the that rumor is not true.  I figured someone here would know for sure.  Thanks. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

birdman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 10:14:48 PM »
Okay, so the that rumor is not true.  I figured someone here would know for sure.  Thanks. 

Sorry for being so gruff, I just like to avoid things going sideways with stories like this being promulgated into critical mass of people believing it (eg 9/11 trutherism)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 10:32:37 PM »
This all seems to stem from confusion about the long gun found in the vehicle, that wasn't taken inside the school. It was a shotgun, but a lot of people thought it was the AR. Then The Today Show reported that 4 handguns were used in the school "according to officials," and that the AR was left in the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGn4o1Lb6L0

Which leads to all of these stupid postings to web pages, with titles like "NBC admits no assault rifle used in Newtown killings." As if a news organization was in any position to "admit" such a thing.  ;/

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=nbc+admits+no+ar+used+at+newtown

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/sandyhook.asp

Yet, months later, I've encountered people who insist on clinging to that one news report, and disregard everything else that has been said. I finally told them that, if the cops and media pulled some kind of cover-up on the case, then they were successful. The police are the primary source on the shootings, and no one close to the story is contradicting them.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:36:58 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

erictank

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 01:26:35 AM »
This all seems to stem from confusion about the long gun found in the vehicle, that wasn't taken inside the school. It was a shotgun, but a lot of people thought it was the AR. Then The Today Show reported that 4 handguns were used in the school "according to officials," and that the AR was left in the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGn4o1Lb6L0

Which leads to all of these stupid postings to web pages, with titles like "NBC admits no assault rifle used in Newtown killings." As if a news organization was in any position to "admit" such a thing.  ;/

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=nbc+admits+no+ar+used+at+newtown

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/sandyhook.asp

Yet, months later, I've encountered people who insist on clinging to that one news report, and disregard everything else that has been said. I finally told them that, if the cops and media pulled some kind of cover-up on the case, then they were successful. The police are the primary source on the shootings, and no one close to the story is contradicting them.

That NBC page is making the rounds again around my FB friends list - I've a couple of friends who are... perhaps less critical than they could or should be of things like that, and haven't seen the debunkings that followed. They thought it was new info  :facepalm:. Really, guys? It says right on the page that it was dated MONTHS ago!

I guess all you can do is fact-check where appropriate, and try to point people in the right direction for good info.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 07:45:02 AM »
I am told that Breivik, in the Norway attack, faced exactly this situation of non-resistance. After using up the box magazines of the mini-14, his victims sat and watched as he re-filled the box mags with ammo, too shocked and afraid to take action against him.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 08:22:41 AM »
Sorry for being so gruff, I just like to avoid things going sideways with stories like this being promulgated into critical mass of people believing it (eg 9/11 trutherism)

we believe........... (all hail, the government plant has spoken)   :lol:
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2