Author Topic: Closed open source  (Read 662 times)

zahc

• friend
Closed open source
« on: April 24, 2013, 09:25:23 PM »
Is there a ready-made license for "we will provide you the source code which you may modify, but you are 't allowed to redistribute it"?

At work I'm purchasing a piece of hardware with a long service life and I'm trying to negotiate that I should be provided the source code to the semi-embedded computer. The reason should be obvious--so that we can audit the code, fix bugs, or add features without being dependent on the continued existence and good faith of the vendor. The roadblocks are actually coming not from the vendor but from our own purchasing department who are ignorant of computers and terrified of anything different.

Is there existing licenses or legal precedents I can cite that might help convince our purchasing and/or legal departments? They all think source code is a magical incantation and that looking at it will summon lawyers. I'm trying to make the case that it's similar to any other copyrighted work and can be releases under any number of licenses.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Closed open source
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 09:37:56 PM »
Yes.  I can't recall the name offhand.  Actually, it isn't a license per se, but a methodology.  Lemme check my email at work.  We just had a seminar on the very topic.

Edit to add: Software Escrow.  You get and keep the sourcecode to protect you from the vendor going out of business or or dropping the product.  Normally done for applications, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for embedded code.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Closed open source
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 09:39:32 PM »
Not sure about the legal/purchase part, but a couple projects back I was working on a "board support package" that was provided with an operating system and the source code was provided to be modified for the specific hardware.

So I know such things exist.  Now my ailing mind can't remember the name of the vendor but I can look it up on the other laptop ...

Manana.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin