Author Topic: Any Honda owners in here?  (Read 1088 times)

Terpsichore

• friend
Any Honda owners in here?
« on: April 25, 2013, 09:40:18 PM »
What started as one issue has now become two.  My '99 Honda Civic has decided to be a pain in my backside

Issue 1:  Pipe going into the catalytic converter fell off while driving home today.  Any ideas on how much parts are and if this is something I can fix myself vs. taking it to the mechanic?

Issue 2:  While nothing serious, is annoying and starting to tick my boss off.  Car has panic function.  Panic function goes off whenever the *bleep* it feels like...99% of the time being while I'm at work.  Boss gets annoyed.  Boss has longer than necessary chat with me about getting it looked at.  Problem: every place I've called or taken it to won't touch it or, in the case of one shop, started asking questions to the tune of "Do you steal cars, or something?"  (F Sharp for the key)

Anyone have any ideas?
There is something relaxing in working with sharp pointy things.

What if there were no hypothetical situations?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Any Honda owners in here?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 09:57:24 PM »
You can try this:

Honda Civic alarm reset.

Firstly, you'll have to turn the Civic's alarm off for a few seconds.

Then you'll have to poke around under the dashboard to find a small button or toggle switch.

It should only be a small switch and is most likely red or black in color.

When you have found the switch, turn on your car's ignition.

Once the car is running, you should press and hold the spring loaded button in.

Keep holding the button in, until the alarm beeps just once.

This will disable the alarm entirely. A LED on the dashboard should confirm the alarm has been disabled.

Repeat these steps to reset and hence re-enable the alarm system.

Once this is done the alarm should have reset, and hopefully would have rectified any problems you have had with the alarm.

This is one of many suggestions available on the webz.

bob

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 10:00:27 PM »
Might check rockauto.com to see if they list bolt on exhaust system parts. You might still need cutting and welding tools to install the pipe.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 10:05:16 PM »
Exaust manifold will probably be $200-500 depending on which engine. If it's not too bad, I might be able to weld it back together, but that might only last another year or two.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Terpsichore

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 10:55:24 PM »
BobR, that is the best suggestion, yet.  Hadn't stumbled across that one yet in my web searches. 

bedlamite, I gotta crawl under tomorrow and see just how bad the damage is.  First initial glance looked like it was rusted through.  Nearly everything on the engine was the original stock parts.  I'm hoping it will be a simple fix once I get my hands on a part.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 11:10:13 PM »
A good muffler shop should be able to patch up your exhaust system without too many new parts.

However, if the converter input nipple itself is broke, then you probably will need a new convertor.

We have a good shop in town that is used to fixing up farm trucks, etc.  Might be harder to find a good place in the city.

Subaru wanted $1000+ to fix our daughters' car.  The local muffler/welding shop did it for about $200.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Terpsichore

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 11:14:43 PM »
There's a family owned garage that I've been taking my cars to for years, so I'm crossing my fingers that they can fix it and/or get me a part and I'll fix it.  Right now, I just want it up and running well again.  Can't have it going kaput on me while I have my daughter with me, traveling.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 11:23:04 PM »
There's a family owned garage that I've been taking my cars to for years, so I'm crossing my fingers that they can fix it and/or get me a part and I'll fix it.  Right now, I just want it up and running well again.  Can't have it going kaput on me while I have my daughter with me, traveling.

Yeah, if they do muffler and welding work they should be able to help you for a reasonable cost.

Like I say, a good muffler/welding shop doesn't really put in new "parts" (unless you need the muffler or convertor itself) but just weld in a section of pipe stock cut to fit - probably $2 worth of pipe and $50 labor.  Otherwise, you have to pay for a several feet long section of pipe bent just so from the factory for that particular car, which piece along won't be cheap plus new clamps and hangars and labor.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Terpsichore

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 11:32:37 PM »
Yeah, if they do muffler and welding work they should be able to help you for a reasonable cost.

Otherwise, you have to pay for a several feet long section of pipe bent just so from the factory for that particular car, which piece along won't be cheap plus new clamps and hangars and labor.

And that's the part I'm hoping to avoid.  Kinda got the short end of the stick as far as having to fix things that weren't supposed to have been an issue in other areas of the game of Life, so the timing for this is perfect.  (insert sarcasm here)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 10:47:53 AM »
And that's the part I'm hoping to avoid.  Kinda got the short end of the stick as far as having to fix things that weren't supposed to have been an issue in other areas of the game of Life, so the timing for this is perfect.  (insert sarcasm here)

When one of the two convertors ( ;/ ) went bad on the Subie, the local shop welded in a single aftermarket generic convertor.  :cool: