Author Topic: Mother Sentenced For Cutting Son's Tongue  (Read 1032 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Mother Sentenced For Cutting Son's Tongue
« on: August 03, 2006, 12:48:02 AM »
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/9613151/detail.html?rss=atl&psp=news

POSTED: 5:41 am EDT August 2, 2006
UPDATED: 10:34 am EDT August 2, 2006

ATLANTA -- A mother accused of cutting off part of her son's tongue with hot scissors avoided a 5-year prison sentence and was sentenced to 10 years probation.

But before going on probation, Samantha J. Davis, 33, will serve 60 to 180 days in a detention center.

Judge Wade Crumbley also told Davis to complete a 26-week parenting class, a nonviolence class and have only supervised visits with her son.

Henry County prosecutors had recommended that Davis serve five years in prison. But the boy's father testified Tuesday that he did not want her to go to prison.

"He told the judge she is a good woman, and he doesn't feel his son is unsafe around her," Davis' lawyer, Rickey L. Richardson, said.

Davis heated a pair of scissors on a stove in August 2004 and held it to her 6-year-old son's neck before cutting off a piece of his tongue as punishment for talking back, authorities said. Her estranged husband, Toby Davis reported the injuries to police and she was arrested.

The child has been in his father's custody since then. Davis pleaded guilty in June to two child cruelty charges.

But the state's case was hampered when Toby Davis filed court papers refusing to cooperate with the prosecution and asking that charges be dropped. The boy also signed an affidavit saying he did not want his mother prosecuted.

Henry District Attorney Tommy Floyd said he did not know if the father's refusal affected the sentence.

"The judge didn't say, 'This is why I'm doing what I'm doing.' I know the father was very reluctant to prosecute and we feel he influenced the child," Floyd said.

In the meantime, Richardson said Samantha Davis was relieved by the sentence.

"She was hoping for straight probation but at least it isn't the five years in prison the state wanted," he said.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 12:49:52 AM »
this just boils my blood! she needs serious prison time....the sentence really stinks!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 01:01:58 AM »
The boy also signed an affidavit saying he did not want his mother prosecuted.
That's it, let a 6 YO decide the case... rolleyes
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 03:17:23 AM »
she is a good woman, and he doesn't feel his son is unsafe around her
What, does he have amnesia?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 03:27:03 AM »
Damn, you beat me to it. I'm thinking he's no smarter than she is. Nothing but a train wreck waiting to happen there.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 03:53:02 AM »
And they call us moonbats!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 05:48:15 AM »
If some stranger did that, there would be no question about shoving the freak into the nearest hole & shoveling in dirt behind him.

But, since his mommy did the deed, some folks go wobbly in the face of evil & deranged behavior.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 10:22:58 AM »
This is a bad little trend we are having here. People have gotten to the point where they are not expected to be able to do anything by themselves. Its "OK" for a person to do something like this because they obviously didnt know any better.

A persone DOES NOT NEED A PARENTING CLASS to know that they are not supposed to cut off their childs tongue. The very idea that this was related to ignorance rather than malice is a symptom of what is quite possibly the nastiest trend in America right now; the abolition of personal responsibility.

The very idea that people are mindless sheep inevitably needs to the conclusion that they need a shepherd, guess who's job that is gonna be.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 11:07:03 AM »
Quote from: c_yeager
The very idea that people are mindless sheep inevitably needs to the conclusion that they need a shepherd, guess who's job that is gonna be.
You're nominating yourself as Glorious Leader of the People?  Tongue

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 07:26:10 PM »
I'll nominate him! ...cant be worse then what we have now!!
;-)

PS...do you think Bill Oreilly would take up the cause for this poor kid?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 07:41:26 PM »
His arrogant loud mouth ought to help somebody.  What do you think he could do to benefit the child?

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 08:54:52 PM »
Now in fairness none of us know just what level of talking back this 6 year old was involved in...  Lets all keep an open mind.

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 09:29:17 PM »
I'll nominate him! ...cant be worse then what we have now!!
Prepare to be dissapointed ;-)

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 08:54:25 AM »
"He told the judge she is a good woman, and he doesn't feel his son is unsafe around her," Davis' lawyer, Rickey L. Richardson, said.
Maybe he isn't all that good a judge of character and parenting skills.  That being said...

The child has been in his father's custody since then.
This kid is screwed.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.