Author Topic: Wolverines !!!!!  (Read 3301 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Wolverines !!!!!
« on: May 03, 2013, 08:17:06 AM »
Got this in my E-mail box today from the Center for Biological Diversity:
Wolverines -- fierce forest carnivores roughly the size of small bears -- rapidly ascend snow-covered mountains, travel many miles a day and are known to fight other predators over their prey. These critters are tough -- but sadly no match for climate change, which is shrinking the snow cover they need for survival.

Climate change, along with trapping and habitat loss, is forcing wolverines to the edge of extinction -- there are fewer than 300 left in the wild. But the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is currently only proposing to list wolverines as threatened -- allowing many of the threats to their survival to persist.

Fish and Wildlife needs to protect wolverines as endangered so they receive all the protections of the Endangered Species Act.

Who's going to fight the Cubans/Nicaraguans/Russians/Red Chinese/Norks if there aren't any Wolverines left?

Also the wikipedia article leaves out any mention of Red Dawn, highly disappointing.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Wolverines !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 08:31:28 AM »
What about the Red Dawn remake?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 08:33:40 AM »
my pet rabbit is roughly the size of a small bear
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: Wolverines !!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 08:49:11 AM »
my pet rabbit is roughly the size of a small bear
But standing atop a mountain, raising your rifle high, and shouting "BUNNIEEEEEEEES!" just doesn't have the same swag.

Nor does the spray painted tags of "BUNNIES" at the scenes of your mischief have the same moxie.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 08:58:23 AM »
Yeah... "Only 300 left in the wild!!11!1!" really interested me, because ANY animal with that few numbers would be on National Geographic or Discovery channel.

So, I went to almighty Wiki and found that the range is basically all of northern Canada, Alaska, and Siberia.

Hmmm... following the numbers up... Oh hey! There are less than 300 wolverines! (in Sweden) Actually, no, it's less than 200 wolverines! (In Norway or Finland).

No no! There are only 3 wolverines left! (In California).

Oh, but in Canada and Russia, where the VAST majority of their range is? I think it's less than 20,000!!! This is obviously a disaster of epic proportions. I mean, a predator species that requires a large range and does not share territory, MUST have once numbered in the 100,000s. Right?

Or, as I suspected, the "Center for Biological Diversity" was making crap up.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 10:17:05 AM »
No no! There are only 3 wolverines left! (In California).

A couple of friends and I took a 10 day backpacking trip far into the Sierras the day after High School graduation in 1978. At one of our camps at 11K feet near Volcanic Lakes, we all three saw in the distance what we thought had to be a wolverine. When we got back we hit the library, and photos in the books we looked at plus descriptions of movement all strongly pointed to it, but everyone thought we were crazy. I would have loved to have had one of the superzoom compact cameras that we have now, then. I would have been able to get a good picture of it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 10:47:58 AM »
Unicorns!!!! 

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 10:50:06 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 03:30:06 PM »
That picture is full of win. :rofl:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 03:33:39 PM »
If wolverines are going to drop off the face of Muvver Erf because of globular wormering, their former habitat will resemble the ideal conditions for Honey Badgers!  Those suckers will swim entire oceans to get new ranges to prowl.

Problem solved.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 03:34:28 PM »

Harold -

Why does that dragon have a wristwatch around its neck?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 03:54:32 PM »
Harold -

Why does that dragon have a wristwatch around its neck?

stay safe.

I was wondering why the vikings look like ancient Chinese.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 06:54:14 PM »
I was wondering why the vikings look like ancient Chinese.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 07:24:33 PM »
Michigan being the Wolverine State, we has at least one with fur traipsing around in the Thumb area and we have another in Ann Arbor, having a coat of maize and Blue but it chokes and dies around New Year's Day.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 10:20:28 PM »

Ah, the Centari. That explains exerything. Thanks.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 10:22:03 PM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 03:10:04 PM »

What does Washington Crossing the Delaware have to do with the X-Men?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 10:29:57 PM »
What does Washington Crossing the Delaware have to do with the X-Men?

I could find a Master Chief Crossing the Delaware, an Avengers Crossing the Delaware, and a Klingon's crossing the Delaware, but no X-Men Crossing the Delaware. :laugh:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 11:30:27 AM »
But standing atop a mountain, raising your rifle high, and shouting "BUNNIEEEEEEEES!" just doesn't have the same swag.

Nor does the spray painted tags of "BUNNIES" at the scenes of your mischief have the same moxie.

Depends on the bunnies.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 01:18:56 PM »

The Fuzzy Bunny Militia
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 01:26:30 PM »

Galoka didn't think the Ulus were too ugly to save.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 01:31:15 PM »
Michigan being the Wolverine State, we has at least one with fur traipsing around in the Thumb area ...

As I recall from the news report several years ago they were saying it was the first confirmed sighting in the area since the early 1800's or some such. Would seem to me a positive indicator for Wolverine habitat.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 10:14:25 PM »