Author Topic: Ray Harryhausen - RIP  (Read 825 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Ray Harryhausen - RIP
« on: May 08, 2013, 09:54:37 AM »
One of the Grand Old Men of movie special effects has passed.  The effects he pioneered are almost painfully dated to current moviegoers, but in the day they were nothing short of mind-blowing.  RIP, Ray.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/07/showbiz/movies/obit-ray-harryhausen/index.html?hpt=hp_bn9

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Ray Harryhausen - RIP
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 10:59:06 AM »
They've been running the 1981 Clash of the Titans recently on one of my channels. It's an absolute hoot to watch how ratchety the effects are, but damn, it's still a stupidly enjoyable movie!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 11:06:20 AM »
Anyone who doesn't go 'Ooooh!' during the skeleton battle in Jason and the Argonauts is just a wanker.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 11:12:11 AM »
Anyone who doesn't go 'Ooooh!' during the skeleton battle in Jason and the Argonauts is just a wanker.

That weirded me out when I was a kid.  As an adult I still think it was remarkably well done.
Harryhausen was a artist, an original.  I love his work ... Valley of Gwangi, Earth VS. the Flying Saucers, It Came From Beneath the Sea, all these old films he made when he was just getting started, they're still my favorites.  
BTW, the Octopus in It Came From Beneath The Sea actually only had six tentacles.  They didn't have the money or time to do the animation for eight.  [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 11:20:53 AM »
I remember seeing Mighty Joe Young for the first time and thinking how realistic it was.

RIP Harry.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 12:54:22 PM »
Dang. Grew up watching his stuff because of my dad.

RIP
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 01:06:34 PM »
I grew up seeing his work in old movies played on Sunday afternoon TV.  RIP sir.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 03:30:02 PM »
Cruising around Netflix this afternoon and stumbled upon The Sci Fi Boys.  If, like me, you're an unabashed fan of movie technology and special effects, give it a watch.  It's a modern sci-fi SFx masters' tribute, quite touching at times, to the pioneering work of Ackerman, Bradbury, Harryhausen, et al.  Worth every minute.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
His work is immediately and unmistakeably recognizable, like a musician with a distinct style. It fired the imagination in a way few other effect styles could.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch