Author Topic: Mechanics: R/R 1995 3/4 Ton Chevy Van Wiper Motor  (Read 1659 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Mechanics: R/R 1995 3/4 Ton Chevy Van Wiper Motor
« on: August 05, 2006, 03:02:00 PM »
My wipers have been getting more and more erratic, so I figured that I'd see if I could spot the cold joints on the circuit board, or just replace the darn thing - $28 from NAPA...

ARGH! ARGH! ARGH!

Wipers are off, cowl's off, linkage is off, and now I'm in the process of removing the dashboard so I can get at the dang motor... Can't even see it...

Hints are very welcome.
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 07:03:15 AM »
HELP!
Blog under construction

spinr

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 12:14:52 AM »
The circuit boards GM used for the wiper motors in their later 1990s - early 2000 model trucks were tee-total pieces of *expletive deleted*it.

The board in my GMC began having issues within the first few months after I bought the truck new.  The wipers wouldn't stop when I only wanted to wash off the windshield or they'd stop dead in the middle of a downpour whilst  cruising along at highway speeds.  The wiper issues were serviced by the dealership two or three times while under warranty.  When they went back to acting up, once out of warranty, I replaced the board with an aftermarket part; from NAPA at that.  I haven't had any problems since.

What exactly are you needing help with?

Locating the wiper motor/module?  <--  If that's it, now granted I've never seen one on a van (I don't think many a human eye has... Tongue), but I believe your thinking is correct; the whole wiper motor assembly is behind the dash.   Wwaaay behind the dash.  See if you can lay hands on a Haynes or Chilton manual for your van.  One should have some decent instructions on getting to the wiper motor.  The circuit board should be housed in the assembly for the motor, covered with a plastic cap and retained by three or four torx screws.

Good luck!

Wink

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 02:31:23 AM »
I know of the History Of The Circuit Board...

And lemme tell you - The wiper motor assembly, and attached circuit board, is behind the dash. Way behind the dash. At the top of the dash. Behind ALL of the dash... I spent most of the day yesterday figuring out how to take stuff out,and I still can't get to it. Doghouse is out. Instrument panel is out. Heater control stuff is out. Dashboard is unscrewed,and movable around (even that screw about 2' back past the doghouse...), and I still can't move stuff enough to reach the dang thing.

I can sort of see one part of it... I'll bet that a skinny GM tech with the proper snaky tools could have it out in 15 minutes, but I can't even see where to wrench.

NEVER trust a company which requires proprietary tooling to work on an object.
Blog under construction

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 10:43:57 AM »
Bogie my friend,

I will only dare to bring you laud and honor at the bravery you exhibit in working down through the parts diagram of said van; few before you have gone whence you now walk.

Songs will be sung for generations to come of the Feats of Johnny B.

Many mechanically challenged regards,
Fig