Author Topic: Encoding video from DVDs  (Read 746 times)

zahc

• friend
Encoding video from DVDs
« on: August 06, 2006, 10:38:49 AM »
I apologize if this discussion is not allowed, but I think I'm in the clear based on ideas of fair use. I'm posting this here because we seem to have a fair amount of technically knowledgeable people and a handful of anime fans as well.

I own many anime DVDs, but I hate the subtitles. I think we all know how crappy DVD subtitles are. I have a HTPC system, and I recently realized that I could possibly encode my DVDs to some kind of video format that would allow me to put the subtitles in a more eye-pleasing font and color, as well as possibly edit them (because I know enough japanese that sometimes they are just not needed, or the translators were high when they wrote them). I know some anime fansubs have 'soft' subtitles that you can turn on and off, so it should be possible, I mean the fansubbers write them in that case, right?

I'm pretty sure there are video formats that would allow me to keep the video and audio quality of my DVDs (especially audio quality-I only listen in stereo) while having reasonable and eye-pleasing subtitles.

Any A/V knowledgeable people care to help?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

caseydog

• friend
Encoding video from DVDs
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 06:43:06 PM »
Zahc , from what I understand with my knowledge of DVD structure , subtitles are contained in bitmap files which can be ripped from the disk with something like Subripper , editing them would then entail editing the individual bitmaps then reinserting them in a reauthored disk. The always on , or automatic subtitles you are talking about are called "forced subtitles" , usually inserted in foriegn language films as an "always on" feature.  

If I get time i'll research it a bit further.

Ray
Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

zahc

• friend
Encoding video from DVDs
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 10:00:49 PM »
Well I know the latest anime fansubs I downloaded were in the Matroska container, and subtitles didn't show up unless I went to Media player Classic's menu and turned them on, so I know they are not encoded in the video. That's what got me thinking about it. I have most of my DVDs ripped and watch them on my HTPC anyway, so I was like 'why not encode the DVD into this format so the subtitles don't look like ass'.

I'm abandoning DVD video, it's my understanding that DVD subtitles always suck because of limitations of the DVD format.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Encoding video from DVDs
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 12:25:57 AM »
Get a DVD ROM, put the DVD in the ROM, and use Media Player Classic, or VLC Media Player.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.