Author Topic: Pair of Japanese melons fetch $15,730 at auction  (Read 3760 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Pair of Japanese melons fetch $15,730 at auction
« on: May 29, 2013, 02:12:30 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/05/29/pair-japanese-melons-fetch-15730-at-auction/?test=latestnews

Alright minds out of the gutter, it was a pair of Yubari cantaloupes.  Since fruit is scarce in Japan, the Yubari cantaloupes are considered a status symbol, much like a fine wine or scotch.  According to the article a pack of 20 cherries retails for $100.  :O

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Pair of Japanese melons fetch $15,730 at auction
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 02:27:14 PM »
They look ripe, but only one way to find out.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 02:29:43 PM »
Thump 'em?

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
I wonder what kind of regulatory nightmare creates a situation that prevents people from capitalizing on the price of fruit and providing a low-cost alternative.  Heck, for some fruits a cottage hydroponics industry might be very profitable, so I have to assume there are other factors at play.  Agricultural protectionism?  Strict commercial food testing and production requirements?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 02:45:45 PM »
I wonder what kind of regulatory nightmare creates a situation that prevents people from capitalizing on the price of fruit and providing a low-cost alternative.  Heck, for some fruits a cottage hydroponics industry might be very profitable, so I have to assume there are other factors at play.  Agricultural protectionism?  Strict commercial food testing and production requirements?

Bingo.

Japan prohibits rice imports, entirely.  Or, at least, they did back when I was studying East Asian economic systems.  Highly protective of their agricultural industry.  Huge tariffs on other imports, too.

The social fabric of Japan doesn't lend itself to black market piracy like America does.  "Rat on your neighbor" is pretty well indoctrinated there, long before SCAP. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 03:26:58 PM »
I'll be in my bunk.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 03:39:12 PM »
I'll be in my bunk.

You have no idea how difficult it was, after typing "busty Japanese" into Google, to find a non-nude picture of a busty Japanese woman. I had to pore over image after image until I found something suitable for a public forum.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 03:44:19 PM »

You have no idea how difficult it was, after typing "busty Japanese" into Google, to find a non-nude picture of a busty Japanese woman. I had to pore over image after image until I found something suitable for a public forum.

Yes.  Yes indeed.

I quite see what you mean.  (Speaking of melons . . .)
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 03:52:42 PM »

You poor thing. :laugh:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 03:53:56 PM »

I acknowledge your sacrifice for the good of the forum participants (male that is).
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 03:54:46 PM »
I wonder what kind of regulatory nightmare creates a situation that prevents people from capitalizing on the price of fruit and providing a low-cost alternative.  Heck, for some fruits a cottage hydroponics industry might be very profitable, so I have to assume there are other factors at play.  Agricultural protectionism?  Strict commercial food testing and production requirements?

That's my impression from talking to my brother, who lived there for 15 years.

Farms there are, by our standards, microscopic.

I suppose you could get that Yakuza to import stuff from some nearby county.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 04:15:51 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 03:57:42 PM »
That's my impression from talking to my brother, who lived there for 15 years.

Farms there are, by out standards, microscopic.

I suppose you could get that Yakuza to import stuff from some nearby county.

Black market fruit runners...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 06:21:23 PM »
Hard job but someones gotta do it.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 09:23:57 PM »
Blahhh, I hate cantaloupe.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.