Author Topic: Very disturbing evening  (Read 2429 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Very disturbing evening
« on: May 29, 2013, 10:10:55 PM »
This evening I attended a talk on the court system. There were two presenters: first up was a chief prosecutor, followed by one of the more senior judges in the state.

I took the opportunity to ask the judge if it's really a good idea to be using SWAT teams to be serving search warrants. He said, "It rarely happens, but if there's an armed and dangerous fugitive I don't want one or two cops having to go look for him." I reiterated that I was asking about search warrants, not arrest warrants. Then the judge brought up -- all on his own -- a recent case he heard in civil court. Seems a police department (he didn't name the municipality involved, and his district includes several) got an address wrong. They smashed in the front door of a wrong address (sound familiar?), tossed the house, traumatized the family ... and then just walked away when they realized they were at the wrong address. The family actually had to file a lawsuit to get the municipality to pay for repairing the damage. The judge's view was that "It was an honest mistake by the police."

So I tried to ask the judge if it would have been okay if the homeowner had been armed and shot at the officers, and someone was killed. Hizzoner really REALLY didn't want to go there. He kept talking around it, and ultimately never gave me a straight answer, beyond "Everyone is human, and we all make mistakes." It was clear that his attitude is: If you want breakfast, you gotta scramble some eggs.

Why is it that the same folks who weep and wail and gnash their teeth about "If it saves just ONE child it's ["it" being the Constitutional violation du jour] worth it" have no problem with setting up a system that apologizes for cops who create situations that simply beg for innocent people to be killed? I am angry -- VERY angry.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Very disturbing evening
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 10:20:02 PM »
I find it more troubling that others in attendance didn't back your play.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 10:25:36 PM »
Remember, mistakes are only mistakes if the cops make em.

if YOU mistake those cops for an intruder and fire on them, you're a domestic terrorist.

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 07:10:22 AM »
Remember, mistakes are only mistakes if the cops make em.

if YOU mistake those cops for an intruder and fire on them, you're a domestic terrorist.

Were you i my class? Where were you sitting?

I also asked both the prosecutor and the judge about the burgeoning practice of charging individuals, in individual confrontations, with "terroristic" threatening -- which I consider to be a perversion of the fairly recent laws against terroristic threatening, and a clear case of prosecutorial overreach. Both were obviously uncomfortable with the question, and neither gave a straightforward response to it.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 07:25:21 AM »
Gotta wonder...what would you want him to say?  That the cops should have been indicted for Burglary and sentenced to prison?  That the homeowner should have blown the cops away as soon as the door opened?  You were at a public event on the court system.  Judges are prohibited from publicly stating how they would rule on any specific issue, from giving legal advice, from saying who should be charged or what they should be charged with.  Break those rules and you run the very real risk of losing your license and your job.

The judge was put in a no-win situation by your question.  Say the cops should be prosecuted, you just committed an ethical violation.  Say the homeowner could have firedin self-defense, and yoou just committed an ethical viiolation.  Dodging your questions was about the.only option if he wanted to keep his job...

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 07:45:49 AM »
Gotta wonder...what would you want him to say?  That the cops should have been indicted for Burglary and sentenced to prison?  That the homeowner should have blown the cops away as soon as the door opened?  You were at a public event on the court system.  Judges are prohibited from publicly stating how they would rule on any specific issue, from giving legal advice, from saying who should be charged or what they should be charged with.  Break those rules and you run the very real risk of losing your license and your job.

The judge was put in a no-win situation by your question.  Say the cops should be prosecuted, you just committed an ethical violation.  Say the homeowner could have firedin self-defense, and yoou just committed an ethical viiolation.  Dodging your questions was about the.only option if he wanted to keep his job...

Horsehockey. 

Judge-bo was more than willing to pontificate and comment, excuse behavior by LEOs, a mere mistake...and presumably not want to see those LEOs charged for those actions.  But doing so for Joe Citizen is an "ethical violation?"

Double horsehockey.  Such one-way street "ethics" aren't worth a thimbleful of chicken dung.  Such self-serving ethics cooked up by self-serving people are part of the problem.

Tar, feathers, and a stout beating with a 2x4 to encourage the others.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 08:05:39 AM »
Judges make 'honest mistakes' too.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: Very disturbing evening
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 09:10:58 AM »

Then why are they doing a public event and taking questions on such issues? Or as already said, giving a nod to police policy but not to the opposite end of that policy?

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 09:53:06 AM »
Never mind.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 10:23:40 AM »

Horsehockey. 

Judge-bo was more than willing to pontificate and comment, excuse behavior by LEOs, a mere mistake...and presumably not want to see those LEOs charged for those actions.  But doing so for Joe Citizen is an "ethical violation?"

Double horsehockey.  Such one-way street "ethics" aren't worth a thimbleful of chicken dung.  Such self-serving ethics cooked up by self-serving people are part of the problem.

I sense a disturbance in the force.  It's possible the devil himself has given up his ways and begun serving ice cream in hades.

I agree with Rooster.

The judge already pontificated about excusing bad behavior by the police as a "mistake".  He's picked his side.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 10:32:10 AM »
I sense a disturbance in the force.  It's possible the devil himself has given up his ways and begun serving ice cream in hades.

I agree with Rooster.

The judge already pontificated about excusing bad behavior by the police as a "mistake".  He's picked his side.

Holy *expletive deleted*it, you just caused a rift in the space time continuum.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 11:30:01 AM »

Horsehockey. 

You know, perhaps we should listen to Chris's perspective on this - being as it is derived from real personal experience being trained and working as a lawyer, and then as a magistrate - instead of offering conjecture of how things "should" work.  We would perhaps learn something from understanding why officials in question answered the way they did; likely a more useful discussion then the suggestion that violence should be initiated against state officials for answering a question "incorrectly".  Maybe they are JBTs, or maybe there are other factors in play here that need to be understood.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 11:34:21 AM »
You know, perhaps we should listen to Chris's perspective on this - being as it is derived from real personal experience being trained and working as a lawyer, and then as a magistrate - instead of offering conjecture of how things "should" work.  We would perhaps learn something from understanding why officials in question answered the way they did; likely a more useful discussion then the suggestion that violence should be initiated against state officials for answering a question "incorrectly".  Maybe they are JBTs, or maybe there are other factors in play here that need to be understood.

As told from Hawkmoon's perspective, it sounds like the judge defended the "mistake" of the cops. 
"It was an honest mistake by the police."
That sounds like a contradiction to Chris's opinion.  The Judge is already prejudging the actions of the police is how it sounds to me. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 11:51:19 AM »
As told from Hawkmoon's perspective, it sounds like the judge defended the "mistake" of the cops.   That sounds like a contradiction to Chris's opinion.  The Judge is already prejudging the actions of the police is how it sounds to me. 

Ehh, I gotta go with Chris on this one. "Mistakes happen" is a fairly neutral saying, regardless of who it is discussing. It's not discussing specific circumstances. Now, if he was saying that if say, Department XYZ kicking in your door at 123 Main St and shooting you John Doe on a wrong address, well, yea, obviously. Cases are and should be judged on their individual merits. SWATting happens, and is well documented. SWAT teams need to be aware there is a very much nontrivial chance they're making a mistake. Politicians and judges need to make sure said teams have procedures that comply with the law and public safety. Politicians, for before they do something. Judges for after.

Tis what I personally would have said. "If you want to head things off at the pass, talk to your local politicians and police brass. Not my job to speak there. I generally only deal with the aftermath, and each case is handled by related guidance from the law and superior courts, plus individual circumstances."
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 01:19:14 PM »

The judge gave us that speech when he opened his remarks. Since this was a case that had already been decided, by his explanation of the rules he was NOT ethically prohibited from commenting on it. Further, my question was not about that case -- my question was about the abuse of SWAT teams and dynamic entries to serve routine search warrants. The judge mentioned the case -- I didn't even know about it, and since he didn't mention the case by name I still don't know what case it was. If he didn't think he could/should comment on it, he didn't have to mention it.

The question was about why judges sign warrants allowing for such abuse. My sense from his response was that he signs them because he can, and because he has enough of a workload that he doesn't care to be bothered asking himself nuisancy questions when a police officer asks him to sign a warrant.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 01:27:42 PM »
Ehh, I gotta go with Chris on this one. "Mistakes happen" is a fairly neutral saying, regardless of who it is discussing. It's not discussing specific circumstances. Now, if he was saying that if say, Department XYZ kicking in your door at 123 Main St and shooting you John Doe on a wrong address, well, yea, obviously. Cases are and should be judged on their individual merits. SWATting happens, and is well documented. SWAT teams need to be aware there is a very much nontrivial chance they're making a mistake. Politicians and judges need to make sure said teams have procedures that comply with the law and public safety. Politicians, for before they do something. Judges for after.

This was what I was hoping to hear some passing reference to. To reiterate, every time I tried to ask what might have happened if the innocent people at the wrong address had been armed and fired on the home invaders, the judge interrupted me. Someone else in the room yelled out that the cops wear uniforms. That, of course, proves nothing. I can buy police uniforms over the Internet. The patch may not say "Cleveland, Ohio" on it, but when there's a team of them smashing through your door who has time to read the fine print on the patch?

No, this particular judge clearly thinks abuses by cops are excuseable and, if they make an occasional mistake, "Oh, well."

Mercifully, he mentioned that he is near retirement. Unfortunately, he'll undoubtedly be replaced by someone equally or more liberal.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 02:02:22 PM »
I think the whole thing is a PRIME example of how I keep harping on "institutional evil" as an emergent property of any system.

Nobody has to cackle with evil by fire-light twirling a mustache and twiddling fingers as they plan nefariously. People choosing the path of least resistance, incompetence, inertia... can all lead to tyranny.

I think this is what most people, especially those on the political Left have as a blind spot. They think that "evil people" have to willfuly plan for it to happen. The framers/founders knew better even back then.
I promise not to duck.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 05:03:39 PM »
Holy *expletive deleted*, you just caused a rift in the space time continuum.

a colossal negative space wedgie of great power coming right at us at warp speed...
"It's good, though..."