Author Topic: NY Senate says, "YOU WILL RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH!"  (Read 6517 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
NY Senate says, "YOU WILL RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH!"
« on: June 06, 2013, 08:29:28 PM »
http://www.nysenate.gov/press-release/senate-passes-bill-making-harassment-police-officer-crime

The New York State Senate today passed a bill that creates the crime of aggravated harassment of a police or peace officer. The bill  (S.2402), sponsored by Senator Joe Griffo (R-C-I, Rome) would make it a felony to harass, annoy, or threaten a police officer while on duty. 

:facepalm:

A [censored] *FELONY* for "annoying" a police officer on duty....   
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: NY Senate says, "YOU WILL RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH!"
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:33:28 PM »
Got to stop those you-tube videos somehow ...
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 08:42:38 PM »
Saw that too.  Just shook my head and moved along.  This trip has reinforced my decision to never assist a police officer in distress if I should ever come across one.

Only had one actual flashing light contact with an officer and he was pretty cool but still left something to be desired.  Pulled me and "one other person" over in NC on our way to the dragon, doing 80+.  Only beef I have with him is taking my pis tol for no damn reason other than authoritah and ossifer safety.   Only wrote the ticket for 9 ovwr which is sorta cool but it was still a victimless "crime" that is glorified revenuing.

But the posturing authoritators I have seen and interacted with while asking directions at coffee shops and national monuments have not earned my respect.

All the places they try to enforce me from not being able to protect myself with a 500 year old tool.  All the places they don't allow you into without magnetometer or pat down scans and the requisite knuckling of the forehead and tugging of forelock and averting eye contact.

Likely to never be in a position to follow through with that resolution.  But at least it is made and I can laugh heartily next time someone suggests I just want to play cop and that's why I carry.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 08:47:11 PM »
i take it you fellers haven't actually read the bill?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 08:52:59 PM »
A person is guilty of aggravated harassment of a police officer or peace officer when, with the intent to harass, annoy, threaten or alarm a person whom he or she knows or reasonably should know to be a police officer or peace officer engaged in the course of performing his or her official duties, he or she strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects such person to physical contact.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 08:55:08 PM »
Easily abused by the officer initiating the physical contact.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:00:35 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 09:16:59 PM »
Not sure why NYLEOs need special treatment.  They are no better than the average citizen.

Also, overly broad.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 09:33:06 PM »
Suppose it's the overwhelming non-compliance response and hostile verbage directed towards those enforcing the new SAFE Act out there?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

• friends
Re: Re: NY Senate says, "YOU WILL RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH!"
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 09:40:21 PM »
There's a thread on thr that explains it well. Not as titillating though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 10:30:48 PM »
he or she strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects such person to physical contact.

So, assault? Too bad there's not already a crime on the books for that . . . hmm . . .

I guess it needs to be doubleplus illegal.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 10:35:24 PM »
If only there were already a crime on the books for that . . . hmm . . . I guess it needs to be doubleplus illegal.

It's already aggravated assault to assault a police officer.  Just because he's a police officer.  Nevermind it's the same assault as a plain old assault on tax chattel like you and me...

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/PEN/THREE/H/120/120.11

They're not getting rid of the class B felony, they're just adding a class E felony to it so they can get people for 1, the other, or both.
--Lysander Spooner

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
It's already aggravated assault to assault a police officer.  Just because he's a police officer.  Nevermind it's the same assault as a plain old assault on tax chattel like you and me...

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/PEN/THREE/H/120/120.11

They're not getting rid of the class B felony, they're just adding a class E felony to it so they can get people for 1, the other, or both.

read em slower   see if you can find the difference

and in particular how it might apply to corrections officers. in real life

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 08:17:40 AM »
One is armed and the other is unarmed, but there's already laws for armed assault and unarmed assault against tax chattel.

Those ones work just fine, IMO.  No need for anything double-plus good.
--Lysander Spooner

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 08:24:49 AM »
If you're ever in a motorcycle wreck or other incident and a cop comes to help you make sure you scream dont touch me! Loudly. Wouldnt want you compromising on your principles now...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 08:38:43 AM »
I've already resolved that when called as a juror, I will not convict a person (or impose a harsher sentence) if I know that the law does not apply equally and in full measure to all government employees.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 08:53:03 AM »
So what does this bill expand the felony to chest bumping, shoving, and finger poking?  Y'all got a link to the bill or something?

Not like I am going anywhere near that state anyway. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
Re: Re: Re: NY Senate says, "YOU WILL RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH!"
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 09:38:45 AM »
One is armed and the other is unarmed, but there's already laws for armed assault and unarmed assault against tax chattel.

Those ones work just fine, IMO.  No need for anything double-plus good.

In the real world they aren't working.  Hence this bill.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Re: Re: NY Senate says, "YOU WILL RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH!"
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 09:40:22 AM »
In the real world they aren't working.  Hence this bill.

I've heard this argument presented somewhere else before!

...Because when criminals break laws that already exist, more flimsy paper laws always make them stop.   ;/

--Lysander Spooner

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 10:20:31 AM »
I've already resolved that when called as a juror, I will not convict a person (or impose a harsher sentence) if I know that the law does not apply equally and in full measure to all government employees.

This.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 10:58:23 AM »
If you're ever in a motorcycle wreck or other incident and a cop comes to help you make sure you scream dont touch me! Loudly. Wouldnt want you compromising on your principles now...

Untrue.

They've taken my money at gunpoint, so they are my public servant in that regard.

However, I have no obligation to appreciate the job they do and render assistance if they need it.
--Lysander Spooner

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 11:04:52 AM »
Not so much now due to law changes with respect to spousal abuse, but in my day in LE you could get a "Family Trouble" dispatch where your hands were tied.  The wife could be standing there with a bloody nose, black eye etc etc and if that assault did not happen in your presence, you could do nothing except warn the *expletive deleted* and advise the woman she could go to the prosecutor and get an assault warrant.  Sometimes, you just knew that woman was gonna get more after we left because she had called the cops for help, pissing the drunk even more.  So....most of us figured out that if one got a bit close to the *expletive deleted*, in his space so to speak, real close, no touching him, while quietly advising him not assault his wife again he would attempt to push us away with his hands.  That was enough to cuff and stuff him for "Assault on a Police Officer".

He would be out of the house for the night, sober up, he'd plead to some simple misdemeanor in the morning.  The wife would be safe for the night, we'd get the blame from the *expletive deleted*; not her and maybe the guy would mend his ways.  Sometimes they did.  Sometimes they didn't, but it solved  for sure an ongoing assault when we'd leave the scene.

The problem is today that the standards for LEO's has been so degraded due to political correctness and the rest of the liberal progressive dreck people who never should be considered for the Job are now hired and turned loose.  The problem is not just the some of the stupid laws that are being passed by other unqualified people who get themselves elected, but the combination of those two as a result of the ignorance, cavalier attitude, and downright stupidity by the electorate.

Oh, and the hypocrisy in this thread is thick.  Some criticize others for stereotyping certain people or groups, while doing the very same thing by using a wide broom to paint all LE as jack booted thugs.  There are some, I've even seen them and heard of them.  But they are not all that way.  Three very good ones, friends of mine who I partnered with, played sports with, drank beer with, broke bread with, were murdered in the line of duty trying to help others.  So, point out the bad ones specifically.  But to brand them all negatively is disgraceful.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 11:11:22 AM by grampster »
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: NY Senate says, "YOU WILL RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH!"
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 01:15:13 PM »
I've heard this argument presented somewhere else before!

...Because when criminals break laws that already exist, more flimsy paper laws always make them stop.   ;/
In reality the issue is the current laws didn't work because you couldn't get convictions.  A class one felony for an unarmed assault was too harsh and they would plead to a misdemeanor.  Particularly. In the corrections system. This gets a degree of punishment that is commensurate to the offense .
Yet again this reality is probably at odds with your imagination

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2013, 02:11:20 PM »
In reality the issue is the current laws didn't work because you couldn't get convictions. 

You sticking with that explanation?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 02:47:39 PM »
You sticking with that explanation?

i am handicapped here. i lack imagination and can only use reality
if you are unarmed and contact the co you get to walk quite often
perhaps you can explain why you don't like a law that provides a lesser penalty for unarmed assault