Author Topic: Being a Tenet  (Read 1421 times)

Being a Tenet
« on: August 09, 2006, 10:44:35 AM »
I just learned that the toilet in the bathroom ajacent to my room (3 bedroom duplex, I got the big room with ajacent bathroom) is going to be replaced.  Upon moving in I found a lack in suction during the flush.  I called it in, a service man came and determined that when remodeling they must have dumped the paint and or plaster in the toilet, ruining it and probly a stretch of pipe.  

In the 2 weeks of my tenacy I've noticed a real pattern of untrained min. waged workers being sent for all jobs.  Oftentimes its been quite sad to watch.  A plumber (service person) they sent about a clogged shower drain had no idea how to use a plumbing snake (he didn't know to angle the end).  Had he been more proficient in English or me Spanish a 3rd party plumber need not have been called.  I'm not paying for the outsourcing.  Unless you count the major delays in service and the aggrevation of having one trip tasks become week long debacles.  

As you may have imagined from hearing about them pouring paint down the toilet, the landlord company didn't use proffesional services.  Thus I have paint drip marks and spashes, splotchyness, and generally a god awefull paint job.  I requested a can of the paint that was used so I could touch up some of the worse spots... they wanted to charge me for it.  As I was going to volunteer hundreds of dollars worth of services and they insisted I put in the 5 dollars I declared No Deal.  I don't think I'm adjusted well from home ownership (my parents place anyways) to the renters life.  Apprently I'm supposed to care much less about upkeep and appearences.

What makes it all the more infuriating is that the mangement office is run by a religious clique whom happen to be jewish.  I'm sure everyone has encountered a clique variety like that where people have never learned the most basics of social etiquette apply to everyone, not just your friends/family from the community center.  

I am going to visit the campus library and see if they have that documentary about the small midwest town that saw a large influx of NYC jews who set up businesses and hired then hired mexican immigrants.  I think it was something like 'Postville: When Cultures Clash'.  

I wonder if I would be any less frustrated if the religous clique were Mormons.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Being a Tenet
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 11:26:39 AM »
Short answer - As long as you live under somone else's roof, you live by their rules and their perception of what is "good and proper" in terms of property condition and upkeep.

Shorter answer - If you want it your way, buy your own place.

Don't expect any landlord, regardless of religious or political affiliation, to be overly receptive to any request that doesn't involve an immediate threat to life and limb or possible large monetary loss. Insofar as the cosmetic issues are concerned, best just forget it 'cause it ain't gonna happen.

And, yes, most landlords employ the cheapest labor they can find for the "handyman" type repairs. Again, expect things to be patched together as cheaply as possible unless there is simply no other alternative.

Landlords don't rent properties in order to satisfy anyone's artistic sensibilities. They also rent for whatever the market will bear. I'm betting you live in an area with a heavy student population. The landlords count on the students only being concerned with being close to campus and having a place to party, and that they will pay a premium for location. Traditionally, these areas become the "school ghetto" in terms of upkeep and aesthetics.

Since most student rentals tend to see heavy turnover and even heavier use/abuse, landlords usually don't give a rat's rear about what color the walls are. They care even less that you are willing to do some painting on your own. In fact, most of them cringe at the notion because student paint jobs are notoriously sloppy - poor or no cut in, paint on lots of things that shouldn't be painted like cabinets and carpet, generally crappy work, etc.

If you want a better property you are going to have to move into a place either in a different location or that doesn't cater to students.

Or buy one for yourself.

Brad

p.s. - you are a "tenant". A tenet is an opinion, doctrine, or principle held as being true by a person or especially by an organization (Webster's)
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Being a Tenet
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 11:55:04 AM »
Like Brad said, you're not a tenet.  

I am one of those untrained guys they send out.  Worse than that, I'm in charge of 48 units more or less by myself.  I feel your pain.  I wouldn't want to be one of my residents.  I hope to move to another job soon, rather than keep working in this less-than-ethical situation.  Now that I've closed on my house, I can change jobs without losing my pre-approval.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Vodka7

• friend
Being a Tenet
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 12:43:43 PM »
"paint on lots of things that shouldn't be painted "

Oh good Lord isn't that the truth.  I could cry over all the beautiful, original wood in this 1920's house I'm living in that's covered under a thick layer of dull, white paint.  Original glass doorknobs on everything too, but who'd know now, it looks like something they'd be ashamed to sell at Wal-Mart.

The landlord put it in the lease agreement, no painting unless specifically approved in writing beforehand.

Still, the rent's cheap, the place is big, and for what I'm paying for where I'm living (the near-identical house beside us is going for almost 140% of what we're paying) I can live with it.

Being a Tenet
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 12:44:14 PM »
Quote from: Brad Johnson
Don't expect any landlord, regardless of religious or political affiliation, to be overly receptive to any request that doesn't involve an immediate threat to life and limb or possible large monetary loss. Insofar as the cosmetic issues are concerned, best just forget it 'cause it ain't gonna happen.

And, yes, most landlords employ the cheapest labor they can find for the "handyman" type repairs. Again, expect things to be patched together as cheaply as possible unless there is simply no other alternative.

Landlords don't rent properties in order to satisfy anyone's artistic sensibilities. They also rent for whatever the market will bear. I'm betting you live in an area with a heavy student population. The landlords count on the students only being concerned with being close to campus and having a place to party, and that they will pay a premium for location. Traditionally, these areas become the "school ghetto" in terms of upkeep and aesthetics.

Since most student rentals tend to see heavy turnover and even heavier use/abuse, landlords usually don't give a rat's rear about what color the walls are. They care even less that you are willing to do some painting on your own. In fact, most of them cringe at the notion because student paint jobs are notoriously sloppy - poor or no cut in, paint on lots of things that shouldn't be painted like cabinets and carpet, generally crappy work, etc.

If you want a better property you are going to have to move into a place either in a different location or that doesn't cater to students.

Or buy one for yourself.

Brad

p.s. - you are a "tenant". A tenet is an opinion, doctrine, or principle held as being true by a person or especially by an organization (Webster's)
I am quite tempted to edit my original post to make the title spelling error seem purposefull and witty.  Thats probably the only way I could even more credability tho...

I simply can't imagine any paint job worse than what is there now.  They actually painted over the peephole, painted the closets shut, spashed paint on the floor, and ruined at least one toilet with ajacent plumbing.  When doing the general remodeling they actually sliced through all the wire that was run through the house.

Everything is livable, but with the amount being paid it still irks.  We are paying 500 more a month than the last family and the place was unrented for almost 7 months.  

While there are some students, I don't think its a student ghetto.  I've made it a point to meet my neighbors and most are settled families.

Quote from: fistful
I am one of those untrained guys they send out.  Worse than that, I'm in charge of 48 units more or less by myself.  I feel your pain.  I wouldn't want to be one of my residents.  I hope to move to another job soon, rather than keep working in this less-than-ethical situation.  Now that I've closed on my house, I can change jobs without losing my pre-approval.
Thanks for the empathy fistfull.  My father is a handyman and while I certainly lack his level of skill I have been raised to take pride in my work.  Even when you don't have mastery of ability, a decent amount of effort generally makes a difference.  This house lacks that love.  With an abusive supervisor and a min. wage position, I wonder how much effort I would be putting in.  I tip the service people and treat them with dignity and respect, but golly Im glad thats not me.

I really look foward to the day when I can be part of the landholding elite again.  
Even if its means dealing with that home owners association tyrant M.I. Wink

BozemanMT

• friend
Being a Tenet
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 12:52:18 PM »
well, on the plus side, in about 20 years someone will buy it and remodel it and turn it into a beautiful building and make tons of money and it will go on the Bob Villa Jr show about how some horrible people painted over everything.

remember, most landlords don't get it, and will do the very cheapest possible even if it costs long term.

I like nice lawns, I'm more than willing to maintain it, but you pay water during the summer.
Lawns costs 1000's fo dollars and make the place rent for more
A few got that.

One said "sure, you can take care of it, but you pay the water"

NFW

thing was deader than a doornail by the end fo the summer
Probalby cost him 1000's to re-sod the lawn.
That's penny wise and pound foolish
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

Being a Tenet
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 12:57:57 PM »
Quote from: BozemanMT
One said "sure, you can take care of it, but you pay the water"

NFW

thing was deader than a doornail by the end fo the summer
Probalby cost him 1000's to re-sod the lawn.
That's penny wise and pound foolish
That is the exact phrase I was going to use in my original post.  The idea was mentioned by a few in this thread.  That phrase tho... Penny wise and pound foolish... How can you not say it and not feel like a throwback to some long gone time?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Being a Tenet
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 01:47:22 PM »
Quote from: Ned Hamford
Penny wise and pound foolish... How can you say it and not feel like a throwback to some long gone time?
Whatever it takes.  I'll have to start saying that.

You don't want to look like a product of our current befuddlement, do you?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Being a Tenet
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 02:08:34 PM »
Quote from: fistful
Quote from: Ned Hamford
Penny wise and pound foolish... How can you say it and not feel like a throwback to some long gone time?
Whatever it takes.  I'll have to start saying that.
:Imagines Fistful getting himself in increasingly fancifull situations just for an excuse to use anachronistic phrases:

Never trust anyone over 30...
A year to go fistful
A year to go...

Antibubba

• friend
Being a Tenet
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 05:42:58 PM »
Throwback?  It's practically the business philosphy of every company I've ever worked for!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Being a Tenet
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 06:07:21 PM »
Quote from: Antibubba
Throwback?  It's practically the business philosphy of every company I've ever worked for!
I think I'm the only employee at my company who understands this.  The boss gets it, but try as she might, she just can't make it sink in for the rest of the staff.

Mebbe if people start hearing the phrase again they'll start to understand.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Being a Tenet
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 07:53:32 PM »
"They actually painted over the peephole, painted the closets shut, spashed paint on the floor, and ruined at least one toilet with ajacent plumbing."

When I moved into my apartment in DC I had to remove all of the switch and outlet plates to clean the dried paint from them so that they could be used.

The butcher's block countertop in the kitchen was painted over, as well. I spent the better part of a weekend stripping the paint from it and preping it properly for food preparation.

The windows were all painted shut, as well. Nothing like trying to free up 80 year old metal casement windows.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Being a Tenet
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 08:07:30 AM »
Not as big as those issues, but this one just came up today....
I'm in a large (3000+sqft) rental home.  Up until July, the owner's lived in it as thier primary residence.  The basement is an outside entrance self contained apartment with a seperate renter.  It seems that the back-yard spigot leaks into the basement and has caused some pretty good damage down there.  The landlord told my wife we could remove the faucet handle to prevent it from being turned on....which when she told me got a good laugh (out of me).  My response?  "It's thier G-D house, thier G-D faucet, they can remove the G-D handle.  I'm not responsible for it nor will I touch it."  I don't think she'll verbatim relay this to them....but she got my point....
Same landlord....We moved in about July 20th.  6 month lease, first month's rent, plus $500 deposit.  Pro-rate from July to be paid in addition to September's rent.  All our dealings were with the Wife.  Husband calls me a few days ago, (guy sounds like one of the managers off Office Space), and wants last month, plus wants the pro-rate now.  I told him in no uncertain terms that he can have last month's rent....when its f-n due, which would be the last week of Dec.  I also told him that it ain't my problem that he and his wife aren't on the same page.   I don't think he's got a big set.... Tongue
He continued to bug me about the prorate....so we capitiulated...my wording was something like "If we write a check will you shut the f up?" "come get the G-D check, my wife's writing it right now".
The guy is a bit of a twit.  After dealing with a steady stream of "professional" landlords, its funny dealing with a complete amateur.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Being a Tenet
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 11:10:30 AM »
Quote from: JamisJockey
After dealing with a steady stream of "professional" landlords, its funny dealing with a complete amateur.
My experience is that the "professional" landlords are the hardest to deal with.  Most amateurs take a personal interest both in their property and their customers, whereas the big-time pros don't care one way or the other about any particular apartment or any one renter.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Being a Tenet
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 11:24:47 AM »
Quote from: Headless Thompson Gunner
After dealing with a steady stream of "professional" landlords, its funny dealing with a complete amateur.
My experience is that the "professional" landlords are the hardest to deal with.  Most amateurs take a personal interest both in their property and their customers, whereas the big-time pros don't care one way or the other about any particular apartment or any one renter.
True, but most "professional" landlords know what works, what doesn't, and what is going to bite them in the ass later.  As a frequent renter, its worked out best for me when everything is above boards, spelled out in the contracts, and there's know stupid surprises.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BozemanMT

• friend
Being a Tenet
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 11:29:12 AM »
Same landlord....We moved in about July 20th.  6 month lease, first month's rent, plus $500 deposit.  Pro-rate from July to be paid in addition to September's rent.  All our dealings were with the Wife.  Husband calls me a few days ago, (guy sounds like one of the managers off Office Space), and wants last month, plus wants the pro-rate now.  I told him in no uncertain terms that he can have last month's rent....when its f-n due, which would be the last week of Dec.  I also told him that it ain't my problem that he and his wife aren't on the same page.   I don't think he's got a big set.... Tongue
He continued to bug me about the prorate....so we capitiulated...my wording was something like "If we write a check will you shut the f up?" "come get the G-D check, my wife's writing it right now".
The guy is a bit of a twit.  After dealing with a steady stream of "professional" landlords, its funny dealing with a complete amateur.
I would have told him to do some anatomically incorrect actions
if ti's not in the lease, I don't have to do it
ALL real estate dealings are in writing, oral contracts mean NOTHING in real estate.
I would not have paid him.
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Being a Tenet
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 12:23:58 PM »
True, but most "professional" landlords know what works, what doesn't, and what is going to bite them in the ass later.  As a frequent renter, its worked out best for me when everything is above boards, spelled out in the contracts, and there's know stupid surprises.
That's been my experience as well. The pro's may be hard-liners, but at least they are consistent. For the most part "you pay you stay" is pretty much the creedo as long as you aren't tearing up stuff or generally making a nuisance of yourself.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB