Author Topic: Google Navigation Force Close?  (Read 959 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Google Navigation Force Close?
« on: June 22, 2013, 12:45:50 PM »
Are any Android users here getting a "force close" when they use Google navigation with map tracking on? I have consistently been getting it within minutes of starting the app for several months now. I already did an intensive search on the (apparently very well known) issue. I've tried every fix that's worked for someone or another except for a complete wipe of my phone, which I'm simply too lazy to do for this one misbehaving app. Just curious on if anyone else here has run into the issue. It's been super frustrating for me, because my biggest use of Nav is for finding something in an unfamiliar, crowded, and traffic heavy downtown area of wherever I might be for work or personal stuff. It of course force closes exactly where I need it most. It will sometimes run in the background after "force close" with audio only, which is even more frustrating, because I'll get the "turn here" just as I pass the street I need to turn on, where a visual would have let me see I was approaching it.

On the bright side, I've rediscovered the Telenav update called "Scout" (for Sprint phones). I had the old Telenav running simultaneously with Google on my first EVO phone, but found that Google had a bit more to offer so never really used it since then. With my Google Nav frustration, I remembered Telenav and figured it would be a good temporary workaround. I installed Scout a few days ago, and I have to say it is excellent. A great improvement over the old Telenav, and it includes many "Google features" like quick shortcuts to food, lodging, fuel, etc., except in a much, much better format. The fuel addition is especially good, as it also finds you diesel fuel and prices, which I have found lacking even in separate apps designed for fuel finding only. I've often fretted on a longer trip about where to get diesel based on an app, only to find a station(s) way closer than the app has listed. This Scout app seems to catch way more diesel stations than anything else I've used.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Google Navigation Force Close?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 03:07:39 PM »
Have you looked at WAZE?  Google just snatched it up got $1Billion+.

The best part of WAZE seems to be the ability of users to input corrections to mapping (entering streets that are there but have not yet made it to the master cartographer as well as streets that no longer exist) and the real-time reports of traffic by users.  WAZE routed me through a shopping center parking lot to avoid an intersection with red light cameras.  I later found that after a certain threshhold number of reports it "looks" for ways around such permanently-emplaced aggrivations (as per the socisl thinking of the beast).

SCOUT is nice but has too many businesses in its database that have been closed/moved/transported off the planet too long ago, considering it has a limited socisal network capability to effect changes.  (Old, faithful favorite rstaurant moved two streets ove and three up aver 6 months ago, but SCOUT still has it at the old location.)  Even YELP updates quicker, even though it is tied in with Google Maps/Google Navigation.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 03:22:29 PM »
Skid, good to know on the Scout. I really like the interface, but I reckon being fairly small, they're not going to have the update capabilities of Google. If they could keep their database updated, they could give Google a run for their money. Other than fuel and traffic, I don't do many business searches from my nav apps, usually using Yelp or Trip Advisor or whatever for lodging recommendations and stuff like that, then navigating to that address with the nav program, so any database lags in Scout shouldn't affect me too much.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 03:27:47 PM »
You might want to try Mapquest.  It has become my default now.  Both it and Google have their own pluses and minuses, but I think I prefer Mapquest now.  Maybe it's because I use my TomTom when doing any serious navigation and Mapquest gets their maps from TomTom.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 06:49:05 PM »
Another good app to have is Navfree USA. You need to download maps ahead of time, but it doesn't require a data link to work when you are off the grid.

Is your phone rooted? If so you could try wiping the cache and Dalvik cache, then reflash Gapps.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?