Author Topic: Pilot and Stunt Walker Killed at Dayton Airshow  (Read 688 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Pilot and Stunt Walker Killed at Dayton Airshow
« on: June 22, 2013, 07:00:37 PM »
Video of crash at the link. I hate armchair quarterbacking where lives were lost, but from the video it sure looks like it would have been recoverable with some more altitude.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/22/plane-with-wing-walker-crashes-at-ohio-air-show/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Pilot and Stunt Walker Killed at Dayton Airshow
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 07:35:29 PM »
Looks like it stalled when he put it upside down.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 07:59:07 PM »
Watched the video earlier several times.  Looked like he got crossed up on the controls once he started going inverted.
A damned shame, regardless.  Two people die tragically, and thousands got to witness their deaths.

eta:  Read statements in news stories where a couple of pilots who witnessed the crash think he stalled it while inverted.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:09:41 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 09:40:24 AM »
Yeah, watching it a couple of times, sure looks like he started to stall when he hadn't gone fully inverted.  Dunno if continuing the roll into fully inverted would have helped, but I think trying to roll it back may have killed what little lift he had left.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 10:38:35 AM »
Article said that he was an experienced pilot who had done that manuever hundreds or thousands of times  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 12:59:03 PM »
Article said that he was an experienced pilot who had done that manuever hundreds or thousands of times  =|

Yes .... the captain of the Titanic had made that same voyage   .....    well, "many" times.  It was in fact to be his last Atlantic crossing before retirement.
Experience is great....but it's no proof against error.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 09:08:13 PM »
Looks to me like the plane was heading towards the crowd and the pilot tried to abort the manuever but ran out of altitude.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 11:14:14 PM »

Ever miss the toilet when taking a piss?  Don't care how often you do something eventually you will make a mistake.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 08:32:29 AM »
Ever miss the toilet when taking a piss?  Don't care how often you do something eventually you will make a mistake.

Maybe he sneezed  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin