Author Topic: Always just before a vacation..  (Read 868 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Always just before a vacation..
« on: June 24, 2013, 11:12:10 PM »
So SWMBO and I are going camping leaving Saturday...   Couple of days ago, came out to the truck to find a medium puddle of coolant under the truck.  WTF????  says I....   Can't see any obvious leak, but it's definitely leaking.   So I go by local auto parts shop, pick up some leak sealer.   Seemed to fix things....

Until today.   Come out to the truck after work, coolant under the bumper again.   [censoredcensoredcensoredcensoredcensored]

Come home, start looking it over a little bit more...   Shine a light between the radiator and the fan shroud...  And hey!  There's the source of the leak alright!  And no wonder the sealer didn't fix it.  It's right on the seam between the side tank and the fins...   The metal seam has a split that at it's widest is about 1/8"....   And it's probably at least 12" long...

Found an aftermarket radiator on Amazon, has good reviews, and the same radiator at the local shops is about $100 more...   It'll be here Wednesday.    So in addition to everything else to get ready, I now have to swap out a radiator....

Yaaaaaaaaaaay........
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Always just before a vacation..
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:35:00 PM »
What do you need a truck for if you're camping?  :P
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 12:02:08 AM »
Gotta haul all the crap down somehow... :D

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 12:37:17 AM »
I had to replace the truck radiator last year.  Same problem as yours, the tank seam split.

This year the heater core has decided to start leaking.  This is a bit more of a problem.  Three shops won't do it, two others quoted $500 plus parts.  

Since they're both in the same system and are basically the same thing, not surprised they both go out near the same time.

ETA:  Going to put some emergency freeze plugs in the kit soon.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 08:53:16 AM »
Soooo...

Dad came over yesterday, helped me swap out the radiator.  While we were under there, also did the "Killer Dowel Pin" fix.  If anyone has a 2nd generation (89-98 1/2) Dodge Ram with the Cummins 12V engine, this is something you need to know about  http://www.dieselbombers.com/94-98-5-9l-12-valve-cummins-p-7100-tech-articles/4498-killer-dowel-pin-fix.html .  Tired, sore, and a little sunburned, but in 45 mins or so we will be on our way to the beach for a week. :D

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 11:38:35 PM »
Tired, sore, and a little sunburned, but in 45 mins or so we will be on our way to the beach for a week. :D

Have a great time!  And don't forget the sunblock ;-)