Author Topic: The Most Popular New Cars in Each State  (Read 1621 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Most Popular New Cars in Each State
« on: June 27, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »
Not far off from the Red / Blue dichotomy. If you go to the link, you can click on comments for each state. "Shame on you California" I hang my head in shame, but am driving the F250 to work today to help make up for the Priuseseses.

http://jalopnik.com/these-are-the-most-popular-new-cars-in-each-state-586657057
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: The Most Popular New Cars in Each State
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 10:31:47 AM »
I have seen before that Subaru is a big seller here in Washington, especially the wet part.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 10:35:58 AM »
I have seen before that Subaru is a big seller here in Washington, especially the wet part.

They actually are here too. All the yuppies in Mammoth that would otherwise have a Prius have them, and they're really popular in coastal Northern CA. In central CA, you see some Priuses, but you mostly see trucks and SUVs. I'm thinking LA and San Fran mostly skewed the results to the Prius.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 10:43:35 AM »
I heard somewhere that Chevy and GMC pickups together outsell Ford but that they are always counted separately.  =|

I would almost think that there are more F-250/350 Fords in Montana than 150s.

I read a while back than 1 in 6 new Chevy pickups are sold in Texas.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 10:47:32 AM »
I heard somewhere that Chevy and GMC pickups together outsell Ford but that they are always counted separately.  =|

One of the commenters to the map asked that same question, but apparently during the survey year Ford outsold GMC/Chevy combined. Another commenter posted a link.  I can't remember where the link was, but it was something like 630,000 to 590,000 or thereabouts.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 11:52:28 AM »
Camry?  Alabama? ?!!?!?!?   Uh-huh.  Ford F-150! ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »
If GM wants their sales numbers to be combined for stuff like this, they really should cease the idiotic practice of having two diffeernt brands produce identical vehicles.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 12:26:34 PM »
They're not identical, GMC & Chevrolet are spelled different.
Way back in the long ago times there was a difference, different engines and slightly beefier driveline. I'm not sure when that changed.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 12:45:18 PM »

Way back in the long ago times there was a difference, different engines and slightly beefier driveline. I'm not sure when that changed.

A friend of my FIL's is a salesman at a GMC dealership and told me that an identically equiped GMC will weigh about 100lbs more than a Chevy. I'm not sure if he was just spouting the company sales line though.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 12:57:14 PM »

Yeah, back in the 1960s the GMC had the V6 (a medium duty truck engine) available and also had leaf springs in the rear instead of the coil springs with trailing arms on the Chevy (2wd, all 4wds were leaf all around).

I think the rear springs changed both gmc/chev having leafs with the "new generation" in 1973.

I had a 1965 C-60 with the 305 V6  =)

A friend of my FIL's is a salesman at a GMC dealership and told me that an identically equiped GMC will weigh about 100lbs more than a Chevy. I'm not sure if he was just spouting the company sales line though.

Well, back around 1975 the dealership where I worked got a brand new pickup off the transport that said Chevrolet one one side and GMC on the other.  They probably would have sold it that way if some punk kid hadn't pointed it out  ;)  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 01:16:17 PM »
I knew Nissan was popular in TN (they have a huge production facility about 5 miles from my house) but I didn't realize the Altima was the biggest seller here.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 01:29:14 PM »
There are a lot of Tacomas in Texas though F-150's are probably #1.  Toyota assembles a lot of trucks here. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 01:36:09 PM »
There are a lot of Tacomas in Texas though F-150's are probably #1.  Toyota assembles a lot of trucks here. 

There's only one Tacoma in Washington  :lol:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 01:39:58 PM »
I'm moving to Hoosier country.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 11:21:41 PM »
There are a crap load of Hondas around here but I never thought it was a majority.
I see you honda and raise you you a subie and an f250sd.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 12:12:30 AM »
There are a crap load of Hondas around here but I never thought it was a majority.
I see you honda and raise you you a subie and an f250sd.

"Most popular NEW cars". Which means that it's the model that sold the most that year, not which one makes up the majority on the roads.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 01:31:11 AM »
I'm moving to Hoosier country.
For moar obamamotors gheyness?

I liked GM vehicles, in fact I only own GM vehicles at the present, with the last one being bought 9 years ago. Anything GM or Chrysler made after 2008 or so is tainted to me.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 01:34:05 AM »
I knew Nissan was popular in TN (they have a huge production facility about 5 miles from my house) but I didn't realize the Altima was the biggest seller here.
Altimas seem to be hugely popular in my area, its also on my short list of next car to buy.

Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 11:34:19 AM »
For moar obamamotors gheyness?

I liked GM vehicles, in fact I only own GM vehicles at the present, with the last one being bought 9 years ago. Anything GM or Chrysler made after 2008 or so is tainted to me.

Because I was raised on GM products, and miss my Jimmy pick-em-up truck. I won't be buying any new vehicles for a while, so I don't know if the politics of the bail-out will ever be relevant to my purchasing decisions.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 01:18:59 PM »
That GMC 305 V6 was an absolute pig.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 02:19:21 PM »
That GMC 305 V6 was an absolute pig.

I'm not sure by what standards ... I hauled GCVW of something way north of 20K pounds.  Obviously you don't go very fast in the mountains with that kind of load and that small of a gas engine.  Most of the roads were so damn rough that you couldn't go very fast anyway.

It had a lot of torque and got pretty darn good gas mileage considering the loads: about 10-11 mpg loaded or empty.

I never drove one in a pickup.

They did have a nasty habit of tossing rods through the side of the block, so I never pushed the rpm too high out on the highway.  I bought a complete "windowed" engine for something like $50  =| just for all the misc parts attached.