Author Topic: Buick chokes after refueling  (Read 2675 times)

zahc

• friend
Buick chokes after refueling
« on: June 30, 2013, 04:36:47 PM »
I have a 2002 Park Avenue that has started choking, puking and stalling occasionally. When it's not doing the above, it runs absolutely fine. It seems to do it after being re-fueled. There are no check engine lights. I replaced the IAC valve, but that was before I realized it was doing it after refueling.

I'm thinking it might be the screen in the fuel tank, or maybe the fuel filter, but I'm still not sure why refueling it would cause that. Any ideas? Do these newfangled "modern" cars monitor fuel level somehow? Could the fact that the fresh fuel is cooler in temperature be an explanation?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Buick chokes after refueling
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 05:11:23 PM »
Is your filter inline, or mounted in the tank? Fuel pump?  I'd bet one of those is fouled.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 05:16:48 PM »
I'm thinking it might be the screen in the fuel tank, or maybe the fuel filter, but I'm still not sure why refueling it would cause that. Any ideas?

The reason it might happen after refueling is that it could be stirring up the water and/or gunk in the bottom of the tank, clogging the screen.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
Do you fill it until the pump clicks once (then done) or do you fill it until fuel sloshes out?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »
Do you fill it until the pump clicks once (then done) or do you fill it until fuel sloshes out?

Hows about "until the prepaid amount shows on the pump?"   =D
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 05:53:17 PM »
Clogged vent tube?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 06:01:21 PM »
Hows about "until the prepaid amount shows on the pump?"   =D

I love living in Iowa, you pull up to the pump, press pay inside, fill up then go inside and pay the clerk. Very few gas stations in the state have prepay, usually ones in shady neighborhoods or very busy interstate exchanges.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 06:18:36 PM »
I love living in Iowa, you pull up to the pump, press pay inside, fill up then go inside and pay the clerk. Very few gas stations in the state have prepay, usually ones in shady neighborhoods or very busy interstate exchanges.

I noticed the one place we stopped in Iowa made you go inside to pay with a c/c because they didn't have swipe pumps.  At least they didn't demand that you leave your card first.

I take that back ... there's a place on 35 just south of the MN line - I think you can swipe a card at the pump there  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 06:24:41 PM »
Try a bottle of Heet or some type of line drier/water remover.  That's the under $5.00 solution.  If that works, your good.  If it doesn't then you've got a clogged filter or screen in the tank.  Probably rust or other sediment in the tank.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 06:29:43 PM »
Try a bottle of Heet or some type of line drier/water remover.  That's the under $5.00 solution.  If that works, your good.  If it doesn't then you've got a clogged filter or screen in the tank.  Probably rust or other sediment in the tank.

Replacing the filter is always a good first step too.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 06:35:45 PM »
I fill it till it clicks.

I wish i had a good scanner so I could look at the fuel trims.

The fule filter is inline and I replaced it when I got the car 30k ago. I guess it won't hurt to put another on there.

We have only 10% ethanol available here; I thought Heet was just alcohol and thus obsolete.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 06:48:01 PM »
Wife's car used to do that exact same thing.  It was a small amount of water in the tank, probably from condensation.  Used an I-don't-remember-which additive to get rid of it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 06:48:52 PM »

its a better first step if you don't pass the old filter over your face while tilting it, dumping a pint of fuel in your face as you lay under car :facepalm:
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 07:27:52 PM »

More and more this is less of an option. On several models, they (claim to) design the filter to last as long as the pump, and therefore make it integral to the pump assembly. So for instance in my 2001 Nissan Maxima, if I want to replace the fuel filter I have to remove my entire back seat, unbolt some structural components, then replace the $200 fuel pump assembly to replace the $2 filter inseparably connected to it.

On my brother's 2000 Mercury Cougar, the fuel tank has to be dropped to get at the filter.

I'm more and more of the opinion that the engineers that decide where to place parts should be required to remove and replace the parts they placed with standard tools as punishment for their "cram it all in, just has to fit" mentality.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 07:30:43 PM »
I'm more and more of the opinion that the engineers that decide where to place parts should be required to remove and replace the parts they placed with standard tools as punishment for their "cram it all in, just has to fit" mentality.

Build for ease and cheaper costs at assembly.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 08:14:54 PM »
The fule filter is inline and I replaced it when I got the car 30k ago. I guess it won't hurt to put another on there.

Yeah, I reckon  ;/

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2013, 11:24:16 PM »
Well I put in a $3 can of red HEET and replaced the fuel filter with a Wix. It wasn't clogged per the blow-test, and only a modest amount of rusty junk came out the dirty side, but who knows about the fuel screen inside the tank. Oreilly wants $270 for a new pump.
--Tallpine

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2013, 11:52:53 PM »

Hell, we still have a few of those in NY. The entire pre-pay thing didn't actually hit here until 2004ish
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage