Author Topic: mp4 video with audio on only one channel - easy way to stereo-alize the tracks?  (Read 1533 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
I have an mp4 audio file supplied by a local news station.  The audio is only on one channel.  Is there a simple, easy, and free app that would let me duplicate one channel of audio onto another, or at least force-combine the audio into mono mode?  I would prefer the former as there is a hum on the dead track that is just discernible enough to be annoying.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Pharmacology

• friends
Just be thankful it's not Nickelback this time.   :lol:

CNYCacher

• friend
I have an mp4 audio file supplied by a local news station.  The audio is only on one channel.  Is there a simple, easy, and free app that would let me duplicate one channel of audio onto another, or at least force-combine the audio into mono mode?  I would prefer the former as there is a hum on the dead track that is just discernible enough to be annoying.

Brad

Code: [Select]
ffmpeg -map 0.0 -acodec copy -i file.mp4 file_track_1.mp4
ffmpeg -map 0.1 -acodec copy -i file.mp4 file_track_2.mp4

The 0.0 and 0.1 may or may not apply to you. Use ffmpeg -i file.mp4 to see the track labels for your file.
file.mp4 should be replaced with your filename.

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Phyphor

• friend
VLC media players convert function?

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
VLC media players convert function?

If it would let me convert the audio to mono using the good track as the source, that would work.

*Edit to add...*
The dept had an unused license for Adobe Premiere Elements.  I was able to copy the good audio track to the dead side.  Good to go now.

Brad
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:14:09 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Phyphor

• friend
It will.

You just have to set the number of channels to 1.

Click Media, Convert/Save

Make sure the File tab is selected and click Add.

Browse to the file you want converted and hit OK.  It should be listed in the dialog box.

At the bottom where you have the Convert/Save button, hit the down arrow and hit Convert at the bottom of the menu that pops up.

A new box will appear.  At the bottom (in the Settings section) is a drop down menu listing formats.  Pick something like MP3 or OGG - right next to that is a icon with tools on it (it's called Edit Profile ) Click this. You'll have 4 tabs.  Click audio codec.  Set the number of channels to 1.  Click save to return to the previous dialog (the convert one where you picked the audio format,) Above the audio format is a section to name the file to save it to.  Browse to where you want to save it, name it, click OK and then Start (which is in the bottom right, next to cancel. )

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour