Author Topic: Man Hogties Burglar and Leaves Him in Yard for Police, Goes to Work  (Read 1239 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
http://gawker.com/man-hogties-burglar-and-leaves-him-in-yard-for-police-664129688

An Oklahoma man who caught a burglar breaking into his home wasn't content to simply scare the criminal away; instead, the man bum-rushed the burglar, pinned him to the ground, hogtied him, and left him in the front yard for police to find because the homeowner was late for work.

Chuck Norris approves this message.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Man Hogties Burglar and Leaves Him in Yard for Police, Goes to Work
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 04:11:52 PM »
Charges filed for endangering the poor burglar in 3, 2, 1...
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 04:44:05 PM »
Actually if you watch the videos, the police don't go to work.  They just stand around because he's a tweaker and they don't want to let the BSC loose.

ETA:  I re-read your title.  Yes, the man who tied said tweaker went to work.  Police still just stand around for awhile.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:51:20 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 04:47:57 PM »
Charges filed for endangering the poor burglar in 3, 2, 1...

Kidnapping or something like that
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 05:07:55 PM »
Burglar wasn't inside the house.

He threw a chair through a window, and the homeowner confronted the burglar on the lawn.

Hogtie-ing happened outside.  Bumrush happened outside.  Sounds like criminal was fleeing scene.

It isn't self defense.

Since the guy wasn't inside the house, it isn't burglary.  Closest thing you can charge him with is aggrevated property damage of some sort (along with trespass), not sure if that rises above misdemeanor to felony.  If it ain't a felony, using force to stop it is some legally dangerous stuff to do.  Blinds were closed on the window he broke so there is no way to demonstrate intent to harm a particular person (rising to assault and self defense issues).

The only thing the homeowner has going for him right now is the fact that this happened in Oklahoma rather than New York or California.  Better hope he has a more old fashioned DA in that area.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 05:32:22 PM »
At least in Ohio, the burglary has begun when force is used on the structure to initiate the trespass.  Could do at least attempted Burglary, still a felony.

Looks like Mr. Cole wasn't hurt, more than a rope burn or two.  If the prosecutor is an elected official, the homeowner won't be charged...public opinion won't allow it.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 09:50:13 PM »
The Tulsa DA, Tim Harris, is a liberal, anti-gun, anti-self defense, statist POS. However I doubt that the home owner will face any charges due to the local popularity of his actions. Although it would not surprise me to see charges or a civil suit filed but if it that happens and it goes to a jury the guy will not get convicted.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 10:52:46 PM »
At least in Ohio, the burglary has begun when force is used on the structure to initiate the trespass.  Could do at least attempted Burglary, still a felony.

Looks like Mr. Cole wasn't hurt, more than a rope burn or two.  If the prosecutor is an elected official, the homeowner won't be charged...public opinion won't allow it.

Hyup.  Breaking a window to gain access to a house for the purpose of committing another crime is first degree burglary.  That's in the 5-15 range, IIRC.  Say hi to Doug at LARC for me.

The homeowner making an arrest is legal there, as long as he didn't use unnecessary force, delay in turning over the idiot to the police, etc.  Wrestling a math-head is kind of a dirty business, so 'necessary' force is anything this side of chucking the s***bird in a wood chipper.  Not that I would care about that, except for the smell and wanton destruction of a wood chipper.  Probably should have shot him, but I understand if he didn't want to clean that out of the carpet.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 11:13:10 PM »
He personally witnessed a felony?  [voice="Gomer Pyle"] Citizen's Arrest! Citizen's Arrest! [/voice]  Legal, but dangerous -- and not just from the criminal.  The police don't appreciate you doing their job, and prosecutors don't like citizens "taking the law into their own hands"
"It's good, though..."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 10:32:12 AM »
Burglar wasn't inside the house.

Yeppers, he was.  The homeowner caught him as he was coming out.

Quote from: GAWKER
The couple heard something in their garage, so Houston's husband went and waited patiently by their front-door for the burglar to emerge.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 10:33:04 AM »
You know, we can second guess his actions all day long and ponder whether charges will be brought, suits filed, etc. But the most important fact here is that the homeowner did what needed to be done then went about his business. And good for him, regardless of the outcome - that's an important part of integrity and honor: doing the right thing, regardless of the consequences.

Part of the problem in this country is that we've begun (as a society) to let the potential or possible consequences make us second guess ourselves, prohibit us from doing the right thing, and sway our better judgement.

I would rather stand up for myself, protect my family and/or property, and have to deal with possible problems later, than let a criminal succeed in his efforts at causing harm, or let the government infringe on my rights. If every single person in this country stood up for themselves when faced with bad guys in any of their varied forms, we wouldn't be in most of the mess we're in right now.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 11:05:06 AM »
If every single person in this country stood up for themselves when faced with bad guys in any of their varied forms, we wouldn't be in most of the mess we're in right now need very many cops.

Fixed  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 01:44:47 PM »
Part of the problem in this country is that we've begun (as a society) to let the potential or possible consequences make us second guess ourselves, prohibit us from doing the right thing, and sway our better judgement.

While I don't really go for the grand conspiricy thing I do think that the direction we are being pushed as outlined by Mrs. Smith is deliberate. Part of the whole war on independence and self sufficiency.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 08:37:34 AM »
You know, we can second guess his actions all day long and ponder whether charges will be brought, suits filed, etc. But the most important fact here is that the homeowner did what needed to be done then went about his business. And good for him, regardless of the outcome - that's an important part of integrity and honor: doing the right thing, regardless of the consequences.

I would rather stand up for myself, protect my family and/or property, and have to deal with possible problems later, than let a criminal succeed in his efforts at causing harm, or let the government infringe on my rights. If every single person in this country stood up for themselves when faced with bad guys in any of their varied forms, we wouldn't be in most of the mess we're in right now.

This...

...is what bothers me about this:

(One lesson to take from [the George Zimmerman affair]: If I'm EVER on a neighborhood watch and see someone/something suspicious, I'm going to keep my distance, stay in my car, and make darned sure that's what the recording of my 911 call will make clear!)

While I don't really go for the grand conspiricy thing I do think that the direction we are being pushed as outlined by Mrs. Smith is deliberate. Part of the whole war on independence and self sufficiency.

Yes, as Ayn Rand observed.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 11:43:08 AM »
The Tulsa DA, Tim Harris, is a liberal, anti-gun, anti-self defense, statist POS. However I doubt that the home owner will face any charges due to the local popularity of his actions. Although it would not surprise me to see charges or a civil suit filed but if it that happens and it goes to a jury the guy will not get convicted.

Wow that is being nice.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 03:00:40 PM »
Wow that is being nice.

Well, it is a public forum ;/

=D

Samuel Adams

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 12:53:26 PM »

This...

...is what bothers me about this:

Yes, as Ayn Rand observed.

Concur with Fistful
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.