Author Topic: Belly dancing and the Renaissance  (Read 2152 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Belly dancing and the Renaissance
« on: July 08, 2013, 01:52:17 PM »
I haven't been to many Ren. fairs, but I gather that belly dancers are a common sight at such events. We also see them every summer at the Shakespeare festival.

What's the connection?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Belly dancing and the Renaissance
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:56:24 PM »
I have no idea, but one of my old bosses (hot as hell to boot) was a belly dancer and belly dancer instructor.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 01:56:45 PM »
I haven't been to many Ren. fairs, but I gather that belly dancers are a common sight at such events. We also see them every summer at the Shakespeare festival.

What's the connection?

I would assume that because of the crusades, belly dancing was a common form of entertainment for troops abroad.  
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 01:57:23 PM »

What's the connection?

Belly buttons ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 01:57:35 PM »
About the same as ninjas and pirates and highlanders with katanas.

I see all these at our local RenFair, along with belly dancers.

The belly dancers do at least have a tenuous connection to the period, via the gypsy/romano connection and trade caravans.

Basically, I see RenFairs the same as Halloween:  An excuse for men to costume up with weapons, and women to costume up in slinky stuff, and both parties to drink alcohol and have fun.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 01:59:34 PM »
I have no idea, but one of my old bosses (hot as hell to boot) was a belly dancer and belly dancer instructor.

The lesbian?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 02:02:37 PM »

do you still have his number?  
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 02:05:51 PM »
The lesbian?

No she was straight. Not at the mountain park
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 02:15:26 PM »
About the same as ninjas and pirates and highlanders with katanas.

I see all these at our local RenFair, along with belly dancers.

The belly dancers do at least have a tenuous connection to the period, via the gypsy/romano connection and trade caravans.

Basically, I see RenFairs the same as Halloween:  An excuse for men to costume up with weapons, and women to costume up in slinky stuff, and both parties to drink alcohol and have fun.

That seems about right for the Ren fairs. Not as much for the Shakespeare thing.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 02:16:30 PM »
do you still have his number?  

Now that's cold. Much respect.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 02:26:44 PM »
"I would assume that because of the crusades, belly dancing was a common form of entertainment for troops abroad."

Bingo.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 02:31:56 PM »
Crusades have nothing to do with the Renaissance.  Neither does the jousting and the heavy weapons displays/booths/games that so often populate a RenFair.

They really shouldn't even call the things "Renaissance Fairs."  There's no appreciation of rising literacy, growth in secular art, explosion of scientific knowledge, increase in religious freedom of expression, or any of the other elements of the Renaissance.

All everyone cares about is knights, armor, swords and hawt chicks.  And mead and turkey legs.  Which is totally cool in its own way.

I was just put off by my first time attending a RenFair and seeing nothing pertaining to the, you know, Renaissance.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 02:36:47 PM »
Crusades were from the 11th-13th century, and the Renaissance started in the 14th.  Conceivable that the entertainment form of belly dancing made it's way back with the returning crusaders before the renaissance. 

Besides, as long as the belly dancers are hawt, why complain?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 02:50:04 PM »

Exactly.

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 03:03:26 PM »
What's wrong with a Renaissance of Belly dancing  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 03:03:33 PM »
Crusades were from the 11th-13th century, and the Renaissance started in the 14th.  Conceivable that the entertainment form of belly dancing made it's way back with the returning crusaders before the renaissance. 

That's not how the knights danced when they returned from the Crusades. Haven't you seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 03:08:19 PM »

They really shouldn't even call the things "Renaissance Fairs."  There's no appreciation of rising literacy, growth in secular art, explosion of scientific knowledge, increase in religious freedom of expression, or any of the other elements of the Renaissance.

[Nerd fight mode] You totally left out the renewed interest in classical antiquity.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 03:08:56 PM »
Crusading lasted well into the 17th century and maybe 18th century.  

To start off, you had the crusades to the Holy Land.  Then the crusades up north in the Baltic area.  After those died down, you still had crusading going on in central europe vs the Turks for centuries.  Generally on behalf of the Hapsburg Empire in Austria & therebouts.  Very much an alternative to, say, a pilgrimage to Rome or some such for the more action-oriented Christian.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 03:11:11 PM »
Belly dancing was known (and practiced) during the period. Maybe not in Europe, but it was around.

I don't know anything about Ren Faires, but I had a lot of friends in the SCA and almost joined. Anything from 0 AD to 1600 AD is fair game. And it can be either worldwide or if known by Europeans at some point during that period (i can't remember on that point, but I know the middle east is "in")

Also, don't be an authenticity nazi. It annoys people.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 03:20:42 PM »
Belly dancing was known (and practiced) during the period. Maybe not in Europe, but it was around....

Also, don't be an authenticity nazi. It annoys people.

Ya know, with that attitude, AZR is never gonna come to your Ren Faire.

I don't know if you were including me among the authenticity nazis. I don't think it makes me an authenticity nazi to wonder why Shakespeare brings out the belly-dancers.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 03:31:41 PM »

I don't know if you were including me among the authenticity nazis. I don't think it makes me an authenticity nazi to wonder why Shakespeare brings out the belly-dancers.

You thinkest not that Shakespeare would have enjoyed belly dancing ?  =|

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 03:32:20 PM »
They're protesting with their bodies the fact that Shakespeare plagiarized Roger Bacon?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 03:38:10 PM »
They're protesting with their bodies the fact that Shakespeare plagiarized Roger Bacon?

And Shakespearean actors are real hams  :lol:

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 03:45:46 PM »

*shrug* a lot of his plays where set in areas around the Mediterianian where belly dancing and belly dancers would have been more commen.
They might not be accurate to his preformances at the Globe, but they certainly fit into some of the themes and settings of his plays, especially the Comedies.

And I wouldn't invite him anyway. :P
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 03:54:47 PM »
Continuing the Shakespeare tie-in, we need look no further than Othello to factor in Moorish influence on period Europe via Spain.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch