Author Topic: More government intrusion - Dr. Phil & Dr. Oz brace for legal sanctions  (Read 1098 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
http://mobi.tricities.com/tricities/db_17190/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=q8ZC7qos&full=true#display

Dr. Phil & Dr. Oz brace for legal sanctions

John Rosemond has been dispensing parenting advice in his newspaper column since 1976, making him one of the longest-running syndicated columnists in the country.

But some Kentucky authorities want to put him in a time out.

In May, Kentucky's attorney general and its Board of Examiners of Psychology told Rosemond his parenting column — which regularly offers old-school advice and shows little tolerance for any kind of parental coddling — amounts to the illegal practice of psychology.

They want him to agree to a cease-and-desist order. In particular, they want Rosemond to stop identifying himself as a psychologist, because he is not a licensed psychologist in Kentucky. They also suggest that columns written in a question-and-answer format are a particular concern because they are akin to providing direct mental health services.

The psychologist who complained to the board, T. Kerby Neill of Lexington, said his goal was to get the Lexington newspaper to stop referring to Rosemond as a psychologist because North Carolina's licensing standards are not as strict as Kentucky's. While Neill said he does not believe Rosemond should be giving specific advice to people he has not personally examined, he said he never sought for the board to try to regulate the content or format of Rosemond's columns.

"That's going beyond the issues I raised with the board," he said.

Seriously, T. Kerby Neill did not see that coming?  What kind of licensed psychologist is he?

I'm wondering if the KY laws on the regulation of the practice of psychology even apply.  Most such laws seek to regulate those who seek/receive compensation in return for the delivery of service.  Volunteers (usually in charitable organizations) used to be able to do that stuff as long as they did not call themselves licensed, and as long as they got no compensation from either the organization or client.  (It ended free lunches for a few folks.)  A recent case where a volunteer social worker botched an adoption caused a change requiring these volunteers to be under some sort of supervision by a license-holder.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

drewtam

• friend

Seriously, T. Kerby Neill did not see that coming?  What kind of licensed psychologist is he?

Apparently one licensed in North Carolina (and previously Illinois). But that is not good enough to allow him to have syndication in Kentucky.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

HankB

• friend
If they want to license newspaper psychologists, will they also impose license requirements on newspaper astrologers?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
How about licenses for newspaper editors and publishers?

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

T.O.M.

• friend
Don't you all see?  This has great possibilities.  If we can just get someone to make a finding that giving opinions about legal issues in an upcoming or pending trial is practicing law, HLN will have to pull Nancy Grace or get her admitted to the Bar in all 50 states!   =D
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Ahhhh, the guild strikes back.

How can we rack up enormous fees "treating" our patients, if some mope in a newspaper actually gives them the answer !?!?!?!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.