Author Topic: Starter problem  (Read 4397 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Starter problem
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 12:09:53 PM »
Mine will start, it's just like playing Russian Roulette. :D

[Scene]A guy sits in a smoky bar truck as he nervously points the gun to his temple inserts the key.  Before pulling the trigger turning the key, he wonders "will the gun go off?" "will the truck start?". [/scene]

DI DI MAU! DI DI MAU!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 12:44:46 PM »
Mine will start, it's just like playing Russian Roulette. :D

[Scene]A guy sits in a smoky bar truck as he nervously points the gun to his temple inserts the key.  Before pulling the trigger turning the key, he wonders "will the gun go off?" "will the truck start?". [/scene]

:D

Chris

Stick shift folks just park on a hill  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 12:56:24 PM »

That trick is a lot less useful now.  EFI =|

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 01:18:08 PM »
My 4Runner is a stick.

I've heard push starting is bad for modern sticks.  I've never had a need to try it.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 01:21:51 PM »

Doesn't the fuel pump come to pressure when you turn the key to on?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2013, 01:27:07 PM »
Yes, I ran an EFI car with no starter for oh, about 2 months. Daily driver. Note to self, when the key module breaks twist the hot and ground together, but do not twist the start wire in, just touch it. Otherwise you'll smell a funny smell about 3 miles down the street. That and the starter location on a Saab 900 turbo was apparently drawn up by the Marquis de Sade.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2013, 01:29:38 PM »
Yes, I ran an EFI car with no starter for oh, about 2 months. Daily driver. Note to self, when the key module breaks twist the hot and ground together, but do not twist the start wire in, just touch it. Otherwise you'll smell a funny smell about 3 miles down the street. That and the starter location on a Saab 900 turbo was apparently drawn up by the Marquis de Sade.

He must have worked for Nissan for a while too.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2013, 02:26:56 PM »
Doesn't the fuel pump come to pressure when you turn the key to on?

Yes, if the problem is the starter.  If the battery goes flat, not so much.  The fuel pump needs power, and the alternator needs some number of volts to run the regulator.

My car manual says to never push start.  I'm guessing it's to prevent damage to the alternator itself, but I dunno, really.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2013, 10:06:10 PM »
"I've heard push starting is bad for modern sticks.  I've never had a need to try it."

The trick  is to roll-start it in a higher gear, not first or (usually) second.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 02:25:19 PM »
FWIW, at the start of hunting season, I went to load up my gear for a hunting trip the next day.  Battery was as dead as it gets (truck hadn't been touched in over a month).  I put a multimeter on it and it registered 5v.  Since replacing the battery, the starter issue hasn't returned.  Must have been a dying battery...

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 02:47:33 PM »
Apparently it was at the ragged edge of spinning fast enough to kick the gear out. Or are new ones completely selenoid driven?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2014, 06:39:09 PM »
He must have worked for Nissan for a while too.

Yeah, he worked for Chrysler too. I needed a starter replaced on my 1984 Chrysler Laser (just out of warranty, of course, everything that broke on that hog was just out of warranty) and the book said you had to remove the exhaust manifold, turbo, etc, to get to the starter. I usually did most of my own work but didn't even want to go there. One of the squadron shade tree mechanics said he'd do it for $25 plus parts. He actually did it without removing all that, but it took him many hours. I told him he should charge me more but he said "Nope, I told you $25". I had to force him to take $100, which I handed over gladly.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G