Author Topic: Stolen guns at O'Hare airport  (Read 1027 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Stolen guns at O'Hare airport
« on: August 16, 2006, 09:12:57 AM »
After a couple of days worrying about the destructive power of liquids and gels, it's time for air travelers to worry about something else: stolen guns at Chicago O'Hare International Airport. The Chicago Tribune reports that as many as a dozen guns have been stolen from checked baggage since the beginning of 2005.  The report adds detail to the Tribune's initial report on the subject published Monday.

All the guns have been taken from passengers departing O'Hare on United Airlines. The airline is cooperating with authorities in an investigation. Unnamed law enforcement sources told the paper that the guns -- all legally checked in luggage -- probably have been taken from the airport and sold or used in crimes.  But they acknowledge that they don't know for sure. About 10 guns, most belonging to police officers or military personnel, are checked in at O'Hare each day. Airport spokeswoman Wendy Abrams says the missing guns present "no risk to airport safety and security."

-- Tom Fogarty

http://blogs.usatoday.com/sky/
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 12:39:29 PM »
How can guns be stolen out of O'Hare?  There are laws against both guns and theft in Chicago, aren't there?

Sigh...  What a bunch of friggin' idjits.

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 01:02:22 PM »
I believe this is an issue at many airports. I seem to racall reading recently about a similar situation at Pittsburgh.
Don

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 01:55:41 PM »
What about TSA stealing ammo and knives from range bags?Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 02:26:00 PM »
That's why whenever I travel by air, I have at least one expensive defensive common caliber ammo box with the original rounds replaced with fresh handloads to 40x SAAMI specs in my checked luggage. (Yes, following all rules and regulations for transporting it.) Over the last few years, I've done a lot of flying because of family, job opportunities, etc.

Many times, they've vanished. Smiley I can only imagine the lovely results.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 02:49:47 PM »
Hmmmm... seems those bag tags and security bands that announce "THERE'S A GUN IN HERE" aren't deterring anything. Wonder why?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 03:31:37 PM »
Brad, that's why I always try to fly Southwest. They discreetly place the **THIS IS A GUN** tag inside the case while I'm standing there.

The fact it's in a safety yellow Pelican case with big locks on it does call attention to the case itself, and that there's something of value inside it, but folks do tend to notice someone carrying something of that size. I've heard thieves hate to draw attention to themselves.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein