Author Topic: Lawn 'shrooms  (Read 4568 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Lawn 'shrooms
« on: July 26, 2013, 01:53:58 PM »
This winter, my lawn was suffering from an iron deficiency.

I gave it some ironite.  Grass was very happy.

I had half a bag of ironite left in the garage, next to various other fertilizers, pesticides and other fun lawn/garden/household stuff.

When I'm gone on my motorcycle trip and my brother is watching my house, he doesn't realize it's pretty common for winter and spring grasses to die off once the temps start knocking at triple digits, and for the summer bermuda to resume dominance.  This is usually indicated by a period of lawn browning, in May, in AZ.  Give it a couple weeks and increase the water to the lawn, and things are fine.

He means well, but panics.  And instead of buying a relatively harmless lawn fertilizer, he looks through what I have in the garage and decides to throw down a bunch more ironite.

I can tell from the way the grass is growing, that he didn't use the spreader, and just kinda half-arsed it by throwing it or spreading it by hand or shaking it out of the bag or something.  There's wild patches where the grass that should be dormant is going gangbuster nuts.

And in the middle of those wild patches of low temperature climate grasses, reacting to the dramatic increase in iron and water... are GIGANTIC mushrooms.  I wish I took pictures of them, but I shoveled them up and threw them in the yard waste bin.  No stalk as far as I could tell.  I giant sheet of white pasty moldy 'shroom.  Almost like someone smeared a 2" thick sheet of bacon grease into my lawn.  Each place where this would happen was about a foot wide by 2-3 feet long.

So, I need to make sure I cut the lawn shorter for the next month or so and let the spores that remain get lots of sunlight to burn up and die.

Anyone know what kind of mushroom or fungus this was, by the description?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Lawn 'shrooms
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 02:04:46 PM »
Closest thing I can find is this:

http://hencam.com/henblog/2012/09/giant-lawn-marshmallow/

Puffball mushroom.  But mine aren't as tall, and are not as styrofoam-ish in consistency like this picture.  Bacon fat, or ice cream, would be a better description of density and texture.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
Can you get high from them? ;)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 02:09:01 PM »
The fields around my work get a *expletive deleted*it ton of mushrooms.  Big ones.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 02:20:37 PM »
So, I need to make sure I cut the lawn shorter for the next month or so and let the spores that remain get lots of sunlight to burn up and die.

Anyone know what kind of mushroom or fungus this was, by the description?

I'm going to go with giant puffball, mighty tasty when ripe.

More than likely there will show up again when the conditions are right, most mushrooms you see are the fruiting bodies of a much larger body, which in the case of the puff ball is mostly underground. This part of the fungi is called the mycelium.

Interesting info about fungi: http://www.herbarium.usu.edu/fungi/funfacts/mushroom.htm

World's largest living organism: http://archives.microbeworld.org/news/articles/biggest.aspx
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 02:27:02 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 02:25:13 PM »
Giant puffball=good eating, fun to kick around when they are dried out and full of spores.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 02:26:43 PM »
Giant puffball=good eating, fun to kick around when they are dried out and full of spores.

Also fun to shoot at when they are all dried out. Redneck reaction target.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 02:26:53 PM »
http://www.tanelorn.us/data/mycology/myc_index.htm

This site has quite a few pictures of the mushrooms common to Arizona. As others have said, it sounds like puffball, but it's possible another type grew without a noticeable stem.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 02:43:49 PM »
After the puffballs take over your yard, there won't be mush room for anything else to grow.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 03:01:33 PM »
Also fun to shoot at when they are all dried out. Redneck reaction target.

These use to grow in a ravine where I grew up, great fun to shoot with a 22lr.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 03:11:59 PM »
Mushrooms are the one thing I won't ever eat wild picked.  I've seen too many tree huggers in San Fran die from eating wild mushrooms.  Every few years it seems that family ends up in the hospital.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 03:13:24 PM »
Loves me some morels!
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »
There's some big ones that come up in my yard every once in a while; I don't think they are puffballs because they are more "mushroom shaped", like an open umbrella.  They get about 10 or 12 inches across.  I looked up the name once, but I can't find it now -- I /think/ they are slightly toxic, so I mow them down so the dogs don't eat them.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 04:23:13 PM »
From the consistency it sounds almost as if it was a slimemold.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 04:24:20 PM »
I've seen too many tree huggers in San Fran die from eating wild mushrooms.

You say that like it's a bad thing
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 04:26:05 PM »
After the puffballs take over your yard, there won't be mush room for anything else to grow.

I laughed. You're a fungi.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 04:27:24 PM »
My exwife got me a book on wild mushrooms.

The one thing that struck me is that two shrooms can look almost identical to where it's virtually impossible to tell them apart, yet one is edible, and the other one will kill you deader than a coffin nail.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 04:59:35 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 05:57:16 PM »
The one thing that struck me is that two shrooms can look almost identical to where it's virtually impossible to tell them apart, yet one is edible, and the other one will kill you deader than a coffin nail.

Yep. You have to check the color of their spores to determine if its good or death. There are plenty of good eating types that don't look like any of the poisonous ones though.

Our family used to pick mushrooms to eat by the 5 gal bucket fulls because dad not only knew the good mushrooms but where they  grew in large quantities.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 10:35:20 PM »
PUffball.  I have a pic somewhere from a couple summers ago at my Dad's, of one that grew to look exactly like a human butt.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 10:28:35 AM »
PUffball.  I have a pic somewhere from a couple summers ago at my Dad's, of one that grew to look exactly like a human butt.

I've seen butts that looked like puff balls  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 10:36:40 AM »
I've seen butts that looked like puff balls  :lol:
Did you kick them? :)
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 10:42:08 AM »

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 07:21:36 PM »
Mushrooms are the one thing I won't ever eat wild picked.  I've seen too many tree huggers in San Fran die from eating wild mushrooms.  Every few years it seems that family ends up in the hospital.

yup, the last time I was in a SF emergency room there was a mushroom victim there, ugh.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 07:23:36 PM »

I visit SF once in awhile, are you there? We should get coffee and point fingers and laugh at hipsters
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."