Author Topic: Airmail Beacons  (Read 2084 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Airmail Beacons
« on: July 27, 2013, 10:11:29 AM »
I'd never heard of these before. It would be interesting to visit what's left of some of them.

http://www.core77.com/blog/transportation/what_are_these_giant_concrete_arrows_across_the_american_landscape_25236.asp
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Airmail Beacons
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 10:21:09 AM »
Well, they obviously worked to direct the aliens to Cali.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 10:56:52 AM »
Took a bit of Googling: 35.166513°N 107.898221°W
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 11:32:45 AM »
Cool!!!!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 12:00:08 PM »
The resolution in google/ google earth isn't good enough to make out the sites very well. A lot are around existing airfields or on top of the local high spot.

The concrete arrow is still very visible at this site  41° 16' 5" N, 105° 26' 2" W (google earth).

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=3d40071d-8c89-4c35-97b7-d8db5dc008ad

It looks like these sites littered the landscape at one time.

Thanks for posting this, I had heard of the beacons, but didn't realize there were so many, nor still visible in some cases.

bob
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 12:04:24 PM by BobR »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 08:08:25 AM »
One of the beacon lights from around Bellfonte, Pennsylvania, is on display at the Pennsylvania State Museum in Harrisburg.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 08:11:43 AM »
A few municipal airports in small town Iowa use the old airmail beacons for their airport light. At night if you can get on a small hill out away from city lights you can pick out the airports with the old brighter navigation beacons.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 11:18:59 AM »
You know, I was really wondering how a plane flying at night could pick something like this up from altitude...

Then it dawned one me light polution at that time was a scant fraction of what it is now. The electric grid was hardly outside of the cities in many areas, and the cities weren't lit nearly to the extent that they are today.

I bet those arrows showed up like crazy.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »
You know, I was really wondering how a plane flying at night could pick something like this up from altitude...

Then it dawned one me light polution at that time was a scant fraction of what it is now. The electric grid was hardly outside of the cities in many areas, and the cities weren't lit nearly to the extent that they are today.

From what I've read, a lot of the early guys also flew pretty darn low. Wouldn't be surprised if during the day they were using street signs for directions.  :lol:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »

They each had a light tower with them

Hell speaking of extinct navigation methods the NDB which replaced the visual markers is going that way too

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-directional_beacon
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 12:42:42 PM »
"Wouldn't be surprised if during the day they were using street signs for directions."

At one time town and city names were painted on the roofs of buildings like barns and such.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 01:44:22 PM »
"Wouldn't be surprised if during the day they were using street signs for directions."

At one time town and city names were painted on the roofs of buildings like barns and such.

And water towers. Some airports paint their names on the taxiway or ramp.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 01:49:07 PM »
Yep, forgot the water towers.

At one time, when the first generation "interstates" like the Pennsylvania Turnpike were being built there were plans for airstrips every 50 miles or so along the road, with larger airports every so often.

It was believed that pilots would be naturally inclined to follow these roads, thus creating highways in the sky.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »
It was believed that pilots would be naturally inclined to follow these roads, thus creating highways in the sky.

They do, hence IFR flight rules. I Follow Roads.  =D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 02:14:11 PM »

Here you go Mike!

http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/rooftop.html
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 02:47:11 PM »
Yep. Knew they had been marked out over large portions of the country during World War II.

Afterwards, with the development of radar, most were never repainted.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 04:04:09 PM »
Yep, forgot the water towers.

At one time, when the first generation "interstates" like the Pennsylvania Turnpike were being built there were plans for airstrips every 50 miles or so along the road, with larger airports every so often.

Driving through northern BC, we came across a straight stretch of road and a sign that said:

"Emergency Landing Strip / Watch for Airplanes"

:lol:

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 05:15:41 PM »
Was the US Interstate system designed to have sections of the roads used as emergency strips, or is that just rumor? Or another country?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 05:19:13 PM »
Was the US Interstate system designed to have sections of the roads used as emergency strips, or is that just rumor? Or another country?

If memory serves, South Korea does/did that.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

erictank

• friends
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 05:33:37 PM »

Sweden, IIRC, designed one or more of their planes so that it could use their roadways as runways at need. Looks like the old Viggen (the one I remembered reading about forever ago; it is now retired) and the Gripen were both designed to permit dispersed basing on special roads/highways.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 05:42:34 PM »

Sounds like there may be a couple countries that do that, but it was never part of the US interstate system. I guess the original rumor was 1 in every five miles of freeway had to be straight and level to act as a runway. Page debunking that myth here:

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/publicroads/00mayjun/onemileinfive.cfm

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 11:56:15 PM »

Yep. Knew they had been marked out over large portions of the country during World War II.

Afterwards, with the development of radar, most were never repainted.

Out west, they put them on the side of hills and mountains. Most towns in the Northern Nevada and the surrounding area still have them; usually the high school seniors or a similar groups will go out and repaint them every once in a while.

Here's the one from my home town:

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 12:06:45 AM »
Out west, they put them on the side of hills and mountains. Most towns in the Northern Nevada and the surrounding area still have them; usually the high school seniors or a similar groups will go out and repaint them every once in a while.

Here's the one from my home town:

"Bowel Movement?"   :laugh:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 12:07:33 AM »

;/

Battle Mountain (named after a battle that likely never happened). :lol:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 12:35:47 AM »

I thought the same thing.  Big brown pile, "BM" written on it...   :rofl:

Driving through northern BC, we came across a straight stretch of road and a sign that said:

"Emergency Landing Strip / Watch for Airplanes"

Wife's late Grandmother's Gentleman Friend hit one the other day.  Knocked the rearview mirror off his passenger side.