Author Topic: Internet Explorer for xBox - Thumbs up  (Read 529 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Internet Explorer for xBox - Thumbs up
« on: July 28, 2013, 08:08:45 PM »
Just installed IE for xBox and it's a lot better than I expected. I wish xBox's Netflix search setup worked like the IE interface does. Full keyboard and all.  It has it's quirks, of course, but sems to work well overall.

*Edit to add...*  After having used if for a good bit last 'eve, it's pretty decent.  Not gonna win any speed typing contests, but for general browsing like news, weather, etc, it's not bad at all.  Beats the heck out of the tiny screen on my phone, and I don't have to fire up the computer for general browsing.  If there was a keyboard that could be used with it, it would be darn near as good as getting on the computer. (There probably is, I'm just too lazy to look.)

Brad
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 09:39:49 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Internet Explorer for xBox - Thumbs up
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 11:13:09 AM »
My Samsung Blu-Ray player has a web browser interface, and a USB port.  Supposedly I can plug in a USB wireless keyboard and mouse set and it will work with them.

I've yet to try it since my solution for a quick instant browsing session is an Android tablet, but I understand why you find the idea of an always-on and ready browser to be so appealing.  Sucks waiting 5 minutes for boot up and log-on just to get store hours or driving directions somewhere.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 11:40:39 AM »

I've yet to try it since my solution for a quick instant browsing session is an Android tablet, but I understand why you find the idea of an always-on and ready browser to be so appealing.  Sucks waiting 5 minutes for boot up and log-on just to get store hours or driving directions somewhere.

I use my phone for most drive-by type lookups so it's no biggy there.  The appeal is being able to surf from the comfort of my recliner, including posting to the various internet fora I like.  The xBox IE interface is decent for general surfing, but I'd probably slit my wrists if I had to type more than a few words using the pointer-driven keyboard/graphic.

I have a Samsung BD player with the same proffered web browser function.  I haven't tried it due to the terrible experience I've had with their clunky, tedious, and painfully slow Netflix interface.

Brad
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:45:05 AM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 11:07:36 PM »
Played with the app a little this eve. It has some definite issues with java and flash. Other than that it's not bad.

Brad
-HankB