Author Topic: Automotive price check.  (Read 5907 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Automotive price check.
« on: July 30, 2013, 08:28:11 PM »
I looked up my daily driver's value on the interwebs, and got a wide variety of results. Kelley Blue Book says over $4000. NADA says about $2000. Edmunds says under a grand.

It is a '98 Tacoma, itty-bitty engine, 2WD, stick-shift, over 200,000 miles. Bone stock, save for what I think is an after-market CD player. Fair condition, I think. St. Louis area.

Anybody got an idea on the value?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Automotive price check.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
Around here those go for 3 grand.

Ive always thought KBB values to be high.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 11:02:16 PM »
Around here those go for 3 grand.

Well, where is "here," and how do I get there?  :lol:

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 07:43:58 AM »
$1000 or less in Iowa. Its a 15 year old 2wd truck with 200k on the clock.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 09:18:29 AM »
Right now on Ebay Motors there's a '98 Tacoma with ~132k miles . . . 28 bids and it's at $1125.

There's another one with ~295k miles and a $2000 bid, but it's a 4x4 and got a new engine that now has ~125k on it.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks-/6001/i.html?Make=Toyota&Model=Tacoma&_dmpt=US_Cars_Trucks&_mqf=0&_qfkw=1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m273&_myi=1998&_fpos=78726&_lsbx=0&_fspt=0&_flso=0
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 10:19:20 AM »

Well, where is "here," and how do I get there?  :lol:

The south, where pickup prices tend to be sadly rather inflated (Ive seen 98-99s with around 115k go for 10-12k)...people think the toyota name commands a hefty premium.

The good thing is we dont use salt down here so corrosion is not a factor as it is elsewhere.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 11:22:17 AM »
The south, where pickup prices tend to be sadly rather inflated (Ive seen 98-99s with around 115k go for 10-12k)...people think the toyota name commands a hefty premium.

The good thing is we dont use salt down here so corrosion is not a factor as it is elsewhere.

I wonder what my 2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr 4x4 with 85k would go for there? Maybe $8k here in Iowa.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 11:36:04 AM »
I wonder what my 2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr 4x4 with 85k would go for there? Maybe $8k here in Iowa.

Wierd thing is I saw one of those go for about 6k. Nice one too.

Despite the Nissans being pretty damn nice little trucks they dont attract the price attention like the toyotas (I ascribe this to the city boys trying to act like they are "country" and having more money than sense thus driving truck prices up)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 11:52:47 AM »

I am still thinking that when we downsize into a smaller home for retirement, of selling both my cars for a mid-size crew cab 4x4 truck.  So far the Frontier is the leading contender.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 11:56:43 AM »
I ascribe this to the city boys trying to act like they are "country" and having more money than sense thus driving truck prices up

I can't say that doesn't happen, but pickup trucks are not necessarily out of place in an urban environment. City life ain't all white collar jobs and art gallery openings. A truck comes in handy if you're moving, or just moving some topsoil or building materials. Even city-folk have been known to do their own landscaping and remodeling.

I don't need a pickup for work, like I used to, here in the near-urban jungle, but I'd like to go back to a full-sized, just because they're so much easier for me to move my lumbering frame in and out of.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 12:10:20 PM »
1. Install lift kit, brush guard, big tires, confederate flag and browning stickers in rear window (mudflap girls optional)
2. List on craigslist under heading "BAD ass TRUCK" (included assorted misspeelings in ad)
3. ?????
4. PROFIT!!!!!
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 12:17:03 PM »
I can't say that doesn't happen, but pickup trucks are not necessarily out of place in an urban environment. City life ain't all white collar jobs and art gallery openings. A truck comes in handy if you're moving, or just moving some topsoil or building materials. Even city-folk have been known to do their own landscaping and remodeling.

I don't need a pickup for work, like I used to, here in the near-urban jungle, but I'd like to go back to a full-sized, just because they're so much easier for me to move my lumbering frame in and out of.

Youre not getting what Im talking about.

Im talking about the guys who grow up in the suburbs or the city, adopt an extreme fake southern drawl, chew tobbaccco, listen to country music, buy an overpriced truck and jack it up and pretend that they are "from the country"

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 12:54:08 PM »

Im talking about the guys who grow up in the suburbs or the city, adopt an extreme fake southern drawl, chew tobbaccco, listen to country music, buy an overpriced truck and jack it up and pretend that they are "from the country"

Seriously. All you really need is a ratted-out two-tone Eclipse with a bullet hole or two. And I kin sell ya one 'a them CHEEP.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 12:59:57 PM »

Does that happen often where you're located?  I've lived my entire life in the South (even considering NoVA is "barely" South, but at least close to WV) and haven't seen this in any volume great enough to affect used auto prices.  I'm sure it happens, but when I went to school in rural NC, the suburban kids and Northern "out of staters" were doing their best to NOT look like hayseeds.

Chris

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 01:06:20 PM »
Does that happen often where you're located?  I've lived my entire life in the South (even considering NoVA is "barely" South, but at least close to WV) and haven't seen this in any volume great enough to affect used auto prices.  I'm sure it happens, but when I went to school in rural NC, the suburban kids and Northern "out of staters" were doing their best to NOT look like hayseeds.

Chris

All the damn time.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 01:11:44 PM »
Ex Hot Ukrainian Coworker just bought a Tacoma in Hawaii and said they are at an absolute premium there. It's the truck everyone wants, at least on Kauai, and they capture premium prices on the used market.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 01:40:08 PM »
All the damn time.

In all seriousness, it does happen, but I don't see it up here very much. Not sure about Fisty's particular truck with the small motor, but the small-frame Toyota's do have an insanely high resale value, and not just because of the offroaders and truck pimpers. They have a cult following just as regular transportation and work trucks and they last forever. The 4-door ones are far and away the most popular though. The older ones with the low stance and the long bed, not as much.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 01:59:37 PM »

You're right. I am totally unfamiliar with this phenomenon.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 12:13:04 AM »
So I checked the craigslist for STL and looks like the truck is worth at least $2-3k.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 12:20:41 AM »
So I checked the craigslist for STL and looks like the truck is worth at least $2-3k.

Yeah, I checked, too.

I've been wanting to go back to a manly-man pickup truck for a while, now. Looks like I could, for what I'd get for the inky-dinky Tonka toy, but only if I'm willing to go back in time several years.

Hmmmm...

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 05:48:51 AM »
i use http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/forsale to set my base line
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

serten

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 09:10:54 AM »
i use http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/forsale to set my base line

I'm a sigline spammer, it's pretty cool
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 09:32:41 AM by mtnbkr »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 11:03:11 AM »
I drive a Ford F-150.  I do have to say that it Roomy.  The supercab backseat can actually sit full grown men comfortably.  Cars and small frame SUV's are clostrophobic by caparrison.  
In addition, with a taller pickup, you can see a good distance ahead in traffic which makes stop and go traffic safer and easier.

Having a truck bed makes it a lot easier to buy stuff for the house without having to have everything delivered. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 11:40:25 AM »
Yeah, I checked, too.

I've been wanting to go back to a manly-man pickup truck for a while, now. Looks like I could, for what I'd get for the inky-dinky Tonka toy, but only if I'm willing to go back in time several years.

Hmmmm...

Older pickups are more manly  :cool:

I bought a 1989 this year for $800.  Then I put $400+ into the brakes.  It still needs a windshield and some paint touch up.  But I guarantee the Subaru folks will take one look at it and yield right of way  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 12:11:58 PM »
Older pickups are more manly  :cool:

I bought a 1989 this year for $800.  Then I put $400+ into the brakes.  It still needs a windshield and some paint touch up.  But I guarantee the Subaru folks will take one look at it and yield right of way  =D

And that is what truly matters in life

I wish I could afford to feed an old GMC.