Author Topic: An Ohio Bank Accidentally Foreclosed the Wrong House  (Read 9220 times)

MechAg94

• friend
An Ohio Bank Accidentally Foreclosed the Wrong House
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:43:58 PM »
http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2013/07/24/an-ohio-bank-accidentally-foreclosed-the-wrong-house-and-repossessed-all-of-the-owners-stuff

I saw some discussion of this on another forum and thought this deserved mention here. 

A women goes on vacation and comes back find the door locks changed and all her stuff gone.  She later finds out a local bank foreclosed on the wrong house, already resold all her stuff, and the police drop the investigation saying it wasn't criminal. 

I was really kind of wondering what would happen if she had some guns and ammo.  Would the bank resell those also or involve the police?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: An Ohio Bank Accidentally Foreclosed the Wrong House
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:56:57 PM »
I saw that elsewhere, too. I disagree with the police. It WAS criminal. Someone forced their way into her home, without her permission, removed her possessions, and sold them. There are laws that describe that sort of activity, and I believe they generally fall under the category of burglary. Given the dollar amount, I'd guess we're talking felony.

She needs to have a criminal lawyer chat up the police chief.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Lee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 09:58:58 PM »
I think she will soon look like the surprised and happy Monopoly game guy that the bank is handing a wad of cash- 'Bank error in your favor'.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 10:39:05 PM »
I think she will soon look like the surprised and happy Monopoly game guy that the bank is handing a wad of cash- 'Bank error in your favor'.

Nope. She tried to get the bank to cough up $18,000 to pay for her lost items. Bank thought that she was lying about how much her stuff was worth and wanted to see receipts...you know, something most people don't keep and even if they did would have been with the stuff the bank stole.

She's retained a lawyer and is going to sue. I wonder if the idiots at the bank realize that they made a multimillion dollar mistake, because I wouldn't be surprised if that's how much she eventually recovers.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 11:29:54 PM »
Why should corporations be shielded from the consequences of actions that, if a private citizen were to commit, would be considered illegal and prosecuted most places?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 10:44:55 AM »
Nope. She tried to get the bank to cough up $18,000 to pay for her lost items. Bank thought that she was lying about how much her stuff was worth and wanted to see receipts...you know, something most people don't keep and even if they did would have been with the stuff the bank stole.

She's retained a lawyer and is going to sue. I wonder if the idiots at the bank realize that they made a multimillion dollar mistake, because I wouldn't be surprised if that's how much she eventually recovers.
The problem I saw discussed was that many states put limits on punitive damages without negligent intent.  If she can't show some sort of negligence or bad intent, she may only be able to get her $18K plus some small multiple of that in punitive damages. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 10:49:39 AM »
Related to my last post, I do think the bank (with a small amount of effort) could easily make good on this lady's problems.  Surely they do business with local funiture companies and could arrange to get her new furniture at near cost.  I have heard new furniture is marked up as much as 400%.  They could probably arrange to get her house set up, then pay her a small amount to make up for small items and come out much cheaper than $18K with both sides happy.  However, that would require some effort on the bank's part. 

Also, the repo group ought to have some records of the abandoned property they confiscated (at least some of it).  I think someone asked if that state required them to hold abandoned property for a period of time before disposing of it. 

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 11:02:24 AM »
I pay my mortgage in a timely manner every month.  And I work from home.

If this happened to me, there would be a very forceful denial of entry coupled with a promise of impending gunplay for burglary and grand larceny and fraud if any further attempts are made to enter the property, and grand larceny and fraud are going to be pursued no matter what.  The most annoying and successful libertarian lawyer in the state of AZ is programmed into my phone.

I've got my mortgage statements for the last 4+ years in a filing cabinet and can prove no negligence.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
She was paid up on her mortgage also.  Her mortgage was with a different bank.  This bank and repo people they hired repossessed the wrong house.  How they managed to make that mistake I have no idea.  Someone in the process was responsible for verifying the location of the home to be repossessed.  They screwed up.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 11:29:41 AM »
She was paid up on her mortgage also.  Her mortgage was with a different bank.  This bank and repo people they hired repossessed the wrong house.  How they managed to make that mistake I have no idea.  Someone in the process was responsible for verifying the location of the home to be repossessed.  They screwed up.

Well, the cops do it all the time.  So why not the banks?  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 11:31:12 AM »
One of the clues the repomen used was that her grass was high so it must be the abandonded home.  They also blamed their gps for bringing them to the wrong house which was across the street from the actual repo.   The reporter used a gps and it took him to the correct house.  The bank president laughed at her when she handed him the bill and he told her wasn't paying new replacement costs for used items.  Behaviour like that is what gives businesses and banks a bad name.  I do think when all is said and done it will cost the bank a wee bit more than $18K.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 12:01:21 PM »
Blaming GPS and long grass is not good enough.  Those should not be the methods used to determine which house they break into for repossession.  If that is all they can say, I would think a lawyer could easily show negligence. 

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 12:32:59 PM »
What I have a hard time with is both the repo company and the bank should have insurance for this sort of thing, right?  Wouldn't the issue be ultimately between the homeowner and those insurance agencies?

Regardless, dick move by the bank.  They should be falling all over themselves trying to make this right.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 12:51:07 PM »
The bank should be falling over themselves to settle.

If this case gets to trial with an actual jury . . . the lady may end up owning a bank. (As a homeowner, I know how I would vote were I on the jury.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 01:18:43 PM »
The problem I saw discussed was that many states put limits on punitive damages without negligent intent.  If she can't show some sort of negligence or bad intent, she may only be able to get her $18K plus some small multiple of that in punitive damages. 

What about emotional distress? I'm sure there was a ton of that.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 01:40:28 PM »
I read of a case like this in Florida and the person go a judgment against the bank.  The bank never paid so they got the county sheriff to foreclose on the bank branch(something like that).  The sheriff kicked everyone out and turned possession over to the person.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 02:01:09 PM »
I read of a case like this in Florida and the person go a judgment against the bank.  The bank never paid so they got the county sheriff to foreclose on the bank branch(something like that).  The sheriff kicked everyone out and turned possession over to the person.
Sounds right and proper. (Wonder who got custody of the vault and safety deposit box contents?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 02:05:14 PM »

I remember this one.  What happened is they showed up with the sheriff to foreclose.  The branch manager was magically able to cough up a check for the money owed right then so it didn't go any further.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 02:51:02 PM »

I hope she "negotiates" just long enough to prove that she tried to be reasonable, and Evil Bank still won't pay for what it stole from her. I sincerely hope she takes them to the cleaners. I concur with Rooster. If it's illegal for an individual, it should be illegal for a corporation. B&E, theft, etc.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 04:01:27 PM »
I hope she "negotiates" just long enough to prove that she tried to be reasonable, and Evil Bank still won't pay for what it stole from her. I sincerely hope she takes them to the cleaners. I concur with Rooster. If it's illegal for an individual, it should be illegal for a corporation. B&E, theft, etc.

She's already negotiated more than she should have to - she showed that her house was not the one the bank should have taken action against, and asked for them to pay to replace the personal belongings she had stolen from her through the bank's actions, an incredibly-modest sum in point of fact. They had their chance to be reasonable, and chose to laugh in her face. Time for her to collect what she SHOULD have demanded up front, along with (figuratively-speaking) the manager's head.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 04:17:45 PM »
They had their chance to be reasonable, and chose to laugh in her face.

That is some cartoon level villainy right there.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 05:08:37 PM »
I do agree.  $18K to refurnish a house is isn't all that much considering appliances probably need replacement plus multiple rooms.  You could probably do it, but it might be tight. 

Lee

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 05:57:24 PM »
Regardless of the payout to the lady, I'm guessing the PR is going to motivate a lot of their current customers to change banks.  Dumb move.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 07:24:57 PM »
Blaming GPS and long grass is not good enough.  Those should not be the methods used to determine which house they break into for repossession.  If that is all they can say, I would think a lawyer could easily show negligence.  

If you can read a GPS, you should be able to read the house number on the mailbox or next to the door. And realize that the odd (or even) numbers are ALL on the other side of the farking street ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 07:31:05 PM »
18k to make up for everything in the house? Personal possessions? Electronics? Probably appliances? If that was honestly all she wanted the bank manager is a bigger freaking idiot than the jackasses who couldn't be bothered to look at the number on the house.

I agree, something like this should be criminal. Kind of hard to put a corporation in jail, so the corp should be subject to massive punitive damages paid out to the victim.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.