Author Topic: Trying to remember a movie and revolver.  (Read 637 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Trying to remember a movie and revolver.
« on: August 06, 2013, 09:13:30 PM »
For no real reason I'm trying to remember what movie I might of scene a certain type of revolver, and what the revolver was. All I remember about it was that it was a western movie, newish I'm almost positive. And the revolver had bird's head grips on it. I had thought it was the new 3:10 to Yuma and it was Charlie Prince's revolvers, but apparently he had actually carried a pair of Schofields.
Any help?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Trying to remember a movie and revolver.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 09:18:29 PM »
Bird's heads are pretty much always Colt SAA's.  Don't think I've ever seen a schofield or Remington with a bird's head.  Definitely not either of those... the backstrap to trigger length is too long.  Colts have the shortest backstrap to trigger length of the western guns without getting into derringers or other weird stuff.

Though I think I saw it on some Colt Lightnings in something.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 09:20:28 PM »
I want to say that it was English Bob from Unforgiven, but I don't know for sure...

ETA: Nope, but IMFDB says that Doc Holiday carried one in Tombstone.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Tombstone#Colt_Lightning
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:25:48 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 10:30:34 PM »
"Bird's heads are pretty much always Colt SAA's."

The only Colts that had a bird's head grip were the .38 Lightning Double Action or the .41 Thunderer Double Action. SAAs didn't have bird's head grips.

Merwin and Hulberts came with bird's head grips.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 05:18:23 PM »
It wasn't Tombstone. They weren't nickle plated, or whatever makes it that silver color, and were wood grips from what I remember.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic