Author Topic: Interesting Beaches  (Read 552 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Interesting Beaches
« on: August 12, 2013, 10:36:40 AM »
I've been to a couple of these - Hawaii and Mendecino. I would not want to go to the French cow beach. Having lugged my float tube down a beach to one of the more popular fly fishing lakes in CA, which is also used for cattle grazing, I can assure you, dear readers, that it is no place you want to drop a beach blanket and picnic basket. Airport beach in the UK looks interesting. I can't believe aircraft with standard tires can land there. Seems you would need bush plane style balloon tires.

http://www.theworldgeography.com/2013/08/strange-beaches.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Interesting Beaches
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 12:04:38 PM »
The western half of the Island of Vieques in Puerto Rico was on the ranching side, as opposed to the firing range side.  The jarheads on that Carib cruise could not have been significantly more stupid than those that came before them, which meant that thirty-some years of Marines had gotten into their heads the notion that there was nothing better than to go surfing/swimming on a beach not only inhabited by tick-infested cows but serving as the terminus of the tidal sewer system of the island's ranching community.

Sometimes it is better not to discuss why your name comes up on the radio watch schedule when everybody else assigned is E-3 or below.  But  then, I did not embarass myself on liberty in San Juan and then find out there was not a taxi that would take a passenger with that condition to the docks.

I'm off now to waste a significant slice of time finding out more about several of those beaches.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 12:15:01 PM »
The western half of the Island of Vieques in Puerto Rico was on the ranching side, as opposed to the firing range side.  The jarheads on that Carib cruise could not have been significantly more stupid than those that came before them, which meant that thirty-some years of Marines had gotten into their heads the notion that there was nothing better than to go surfing/swimming on a beach not only inhabited by tick-infested cows but serving as the terminus of the tidal sewer system of the island's ranching community.

Sometimes it is better not to discuss why your name comes up on the radio watch schedule when everybody else assigned is E-3 or below.  But  then, I did not embarass myself on liberty in San Juan and then find out there was not a taxi that would take a passenger with that condition to the docks.

I'm off now to waste a significant slice of time finding out more about several of those beaches.

stay safe.

You need to write up your autobiography. Sooner rather than later
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 12:32:58 PM »
Airport beach in the UK looks interesting. I can't believe aircraft with standard tires can land there. Seems you would need bush plane style balloon tires.

I thought that you must be referring to Barra  =)

I would love to visit Barra, and Uibhist a Deas/Tuath, etc but travel/flying is such a pain these days  =(

Castlebay on the other end of Barra looks neat - has an old castle on a little rock island out in the bay.  There are lots of other nice beaches on Barra and Na H-eileanan Siar in general.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin