Author Topic: 19th Century Photos of the American West  (Read 1667 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
19th Century Photos of the American West
« on: August 12, 2013, 10:48:26 AM »
By a photographer on a British expedition. Some very nice photography. This was posted on the Daily Mail website. Some of the reader comments regarding Americans and indians are somewhat comical considering the British Empire's expansionist days.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2149899/The-American-West-youve-seen-Amazing-19th-century-pictures-landscape-chartered-time.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: 19th Century Photos of the American West
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 11:20:47 AM »
Not surprising.

The British as a whole a ferociously ignorant about their own peculiarly checkered colonial past.

Some years ago I made some Brit silly-nanny's head explode. He thought he could come into a forum and tell Americans how bad we are because we once had slavery in our country...

He didn't have a lot to say (well, he did, but nothing of it was of any consequence) when a couple of us started laying out in graphic detal just how bloody Britain's hands are when it came to the slave trade.

He finally got all butthurt and left in a snit. Nothing funnier than a Brit trying to storm off in a snit. :)
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 11:30:04 AM »
Where's the blood in the streets?

The west had blood in the streets cuz of all them guns
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 11:39:27 AM »
..... Nothing funnier than a Brit trying to storm off in a snit. :)

Are snits right-hand drive?

The few huffs I have seen were left-hand drive.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 12:21:53 PM »
You've seen the LA Huffman and Evelyn Cameron photos, right ?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

æg151337

• Gamera Public Relations Slave
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 04:17:05 PM »
Nice photos. Most of the comments where positive with the exception of some of the more ignorant folks. I really need to take a road trip zig-zagging across the U.S. and maybe up to Canada.
Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat!
Gamera is filled with meat!
We've been eating GA-MER-AAAA!!!!!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 04:56:43 PM »
You've seen the LA Huffman and Evelyn Cameron photos, right ?

No. I'll need to google those.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 05:44:38 PM »
He finally got all butthurt and left in a snit. Nothing funnier than a Brit trying to storm off in a snit.

My immediate image was of Miss Piggy flouncing off away from Kermit.

"Humph!" <flounce, flounce, flounce>
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 01:02:39 AM »
I really like the Pyramid lake photo - I've been living near there the past few yrs and its a lot lower now
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."