Author Topic: You've never done anything this stupid while drunk  (Read 1458 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
You've never done anything this stupid while drunk
« on: August 16, 2013, 06:38:24 PM »
US soldier gets drunk, defects to North Korea, is kept as a slave and forced to procreate so his kids can be trained as Western looking spies.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/09/the-defector/309436/
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: You've never done anything this stupid while drunk
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 06:47:23 PM »
Awful.  May he find peace.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 10:50:04 AM »
Sucks to be him! Defectors deserve whatever they get.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 11:06:28 AM »
I wonder about the possibility of Vietnam-era POWs being sent to NK.  The Soviets certainly imprisoned American crewmembers of the recon aircraft that were shot down over and adjacent to the Soviet Union during the early stages of the Cold War. 

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/07/19/world/decades-later-tales-of-americans-in-soviet-jails.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1992-11-12/news/1992317164_1_soviet-union-volkogonov-cold-war

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 03:24:11 PM »
Awful.  May he find peace.

This, in spite of the fact that apparently he did in fact defect as opposed to drunkenly stumbling through a minefield.  He may have needed 10 beers to get up the courage to actually go through with it.

But I'm still struggling with the issue of his leading a patrol along the SK/NK border after downing even 1 beer.  My personal observations are limited to what went on at the Peace Village (including Norks actually grabbing and trying to pull over the line American and S. Korean troops pulling guard duty on "our" side) and stories from folks who were stationed along the DMZ (from right up on the fence to being a few ridges back from the line).  They are monitored - both by their own squad-, platoon-, and company-mates as well as by more Military Intelligence than you can shake your fist at.  Nobody, according to the narratives, goes drinking right before leading a patrol, and nobody who has just been drinking goes on a patrol.

There is more to this story than will ever be told.  That notwithstanding, the Norks are apparently evil enough, paranoid enough, and just plain crazy enough to have done everything folks say they have done, and a bit more.  Including the keeping of political prisoners and POWs as a means of control over their upper military echelons.  (Mutual assurance of adherence to the party line - "If I go down I'm taking all of you with me" cuts both ways.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 03:47:17 PM »
Methinks he ended up with worse then the US gov could have done to him for defecting.

Sometimes karma takes care of the situation so much better, and more poetic, then the laws of man.

And, on another vein, the Norks really creep me the *expletive deleted* out. *shudder* breeding people they've kidnapped, captured or otherwise gained control over? I sometimes wonder if they use scfi dystopian novels as some kind of guide book for their government.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 04:11:33 PM by bluestarlizzard »
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 04:06:38 PM »
forced to procreate so his kids can be trained as Western looking spies.

They'll be sorely disappointed when they find out that Westerners assume they're Chinese.  :lol:

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 04:37:35 PM »
I wonder about the possibility of Vietnam-era POWs being sent to NK.  The Soviets certainly imprisoned American crewmembers of the recon aircraft that were shot down over and adjacent to the Soviet Union during the early stages of the Cold War. 

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/07/19/world/decades-later-tales-of-americans-in-soviet-jails.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1992-11-12/news/1992317164_1_soviet-union-volkogonov-cold-war

i've been lead to believe the chinese did that as well
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 11:06:58 PM »
I sometimes wonder if they use scfi dystopian novels as some kind of guide book for their government.

Sometimes I wonder if our own government does that.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 11:08:09 PM »

[tinfoil]
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 12:40:25 AM »

I sometimes wonder if they use scfi dystopian novels as some kind of guide book for their government.

More likely sci-fi dystopian novels are watered down descriptions of Nork activity.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 12:59:13 AM »

What would make you think our government would ever misuse science against it's own citizens?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unethical_human_experimentation_in_the_United_States
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party