Author Topic: Dial-Up Sound Slowed down 700%  (Read 2223 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Dial-Up Sound Slowed down 700%
« on: August 18, 2013, 09:32:34 AM »
When I first listened to it, I would have sworn there were external added sounds in it, but after searching several other sites, it appears to be the raw sound. Weird.

http://gizmodo.com/5816392/a-modem-dial+up-sound-slowed-down-700-is-pure-creepfest
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Marnoot

• friend
Re: Dial-Up Sound Slowed down 700%
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 10:20:53 AM »
The tones sound right, but are you sure they didn't at least add some echo-like effect to it? I'd think those modulated tones would start and end sharply, rather than fading out like that.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 10:22:34 AM »
The tones sound right, but are you sure they didn't at least add some echo-like effect to it? I'd think those modulated tones would start and end sharply, rather than fading out like that.

I agree, but didn't anything that says it's been enhanced. I didn't look extensively, but nothing on a quick Google of the video.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 11:20:44 AM »
Couldn't that be some lag in the recording system? Not evident at speed but noticeable when slowed to this extent.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 11:23:10 AM »
Cool.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 01:05:57 PM »
Couldn't that be some lag in the recording system? Not evident at speed but noticeable when slowed to this extent.

I was thinking maybe it's something like that; just not a high enough sample rate on the original recording, so it has some odd artifacts when slowed way down.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 01:10:35 PM »

Keep in mind it's been slowed down to one seven hundreth speed. A tone that sounds like it takes one second to fade out/in on the recording will be doing the same thing in one seven hundreth of a second in real time. The reverb effect? I'm guessing it's an audio artifact endemic to analog phone lines or possibly the speed modulating algorhythm used to process the sound down.  It'd be interesting to hear the same process applied to a human voice on the phone.

Brad
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 01:50:45 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 01:34:05 PM »
If you play it backwards it says "Worship Bill Gates, our Dark Lord."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 02:34:53 PM »
Holy moly, that was cool!  It is very similar to Frey Vladimir's work on the soundtrack to Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 03:24:21 PM »
Keep in mind it's been slowed down to one seven hundreth speed.

one seventh speed.

The sound is kind of cool.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 05:21:14 PM »
one seventh speed.

The sound is kind of cool.

My bad.  I took the percent sign for an X.  Might have helped if I'd put my glasses on, huh...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 05:27:16 PM »

This hasn't really been slowed down to 1/7th speed, because if it was, it would also be 1/7th the pitch or frequency too.

What they did was make it seven times longer, or, actually slow it down seven times, but then upshift the frequency. Either way, the result is the same, 6/7ths, or roughly 85% of the sound is made up or interpolated.

You can't slow down an audio track and maintain the original frequencies without adding in wave crests that did not exist in the original.

It's like trying to make a picket fence longer, and keeping the same slat size and spacing.
I promise not to duck.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 09:59:17 PM »
Right, which is why I'm wondering if the odd effects are a result of that interpolation. A recording with a sufficiently high sample rate would be less likely to experience odd interpolation effects. The higher the sample right, the more you could "stretch out" the sound without any noticeable problems.

A low sample rate and stretching out the sound basically results in the audio equivalent of the pixelation seen in overly-enlarged images.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 01:45:25 AM »
Right, which is why I'm wondering if the odd effects are a result of that interpolation. A recording with a sufficiently high sample rate would be less likely to experience odd interpolation effects. The higher the sample right, the more you could "stretch out" the sound without any noticeable problems.

A low sample rate and stretching out the sound basically results in the audio equivalent of the pixelation seen in overly-enlarged images.

That's an apt analogy, I even thought about saying something about trying to blow up half-tone newsprint as an analogy before I settled on a picket fence.

The higher the sample rate, the more closely you're approaching the analog waveform with more smaller discrete digital steps. Depending on the interpolation used, it could be that your algorithm is creating digital, analog, or pseudo-analog artifacts. A lot, maybe even most of these use short-time Fourier transforms to do this sort of stuff, but there's still a ton of variation of what they do with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short-time_Fourier_transform

A lot of it can have to do with the "window" of time the short time or short term Fourier transform is using. They could be trying to isolate several frequency values and then play them out longer, or they could be taking an average frequency value for that timeslice and repeating it, or maybe even just taking x milliseconds and repeating it seven times before moving onto the next slice and calling that a 1/7th playback speed.

If you read a book and every sentence was just repeated seven times before moving onto the next one, I'm not sure anyone would think the book was actually 7x longer.  =D

The Fourier transform is an incredibly useful tool for analyzing analog spectrum info for many things with a waveform, a lot of what SETI@home is doing is fast Fourier transforms to quickly sift through the raw radio data and look for spikes of carrier signals etc. The problem is that no matter what you did to measure the sounds of the waveforms, once you try to "stretch the data out", it's making up what isn't there.

Equally "made up" but a more accurate way to both time-shift and frequency shift an audio track might be to try and discretely pick out every frequency you can, and then produce each one for a longer period of time and mash it all back together, but I've no idea if that would actually sound any better. And I'll guess that it's possibly prohibitive in terms of computing power or time. (Considering what's done with image and video information these days, even in realtime, while apples to oranges, it might just be prohibitive to write in terms of the code...) OTOH, it might still be trivially easy for CPU's and DAC's to do because of all the increases in power, unless the sample rate is unreasonably high. Like something several times higher than CD-quality audio.

I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 09:29:25 AM »
If you read a book and every sentence was just repeated seven times before moving onto the next one, I'm not sure anyone would think the book was actually 7x longer.

YYYYYYYooooooouuuuuuu'''''''rrrrrrreeeeeee       dddddddoooooooiiiiiiinnnnnnnggggggg       iiiiiiittttttt       wwwwwwwrrrrrrrooooooonnnnnnnggggggg!!!!!!!

;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin