Author Topic: CDL A/B  (Read 2465 times)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
CDL A/B
« on: August 19, 2013, 08:57:48 AM »
So I just completed a six day course hosted by the Army Guard to get my M915A3 license.  Now all I have to do is take a short written exam at the DMV and I can get my CDL Class A if I want to use it on the civilian side.  I can also prepare for and take an exam for a Hazmat endorsement, which sounds pretty easy (I'm already certified on the military side).

So, my question to the forum is, what sorts of CDL careers are recommended, and which should be avoided?  Which pay the most, and which endorsements are worth adding?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Chuck Dye

• friend
Re: CDL A/B
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 10:56:12 AM »
I can't advise much on career options as most of what I "know" is anecdotal info from less than trustworthy sources.  I can, however, recommend that you not get a hazmat endorsement unless you really need it.  Getting the hazmat endorsement now requires a fairly costly background check.  Having the endorsement subjects you to lower thresholds in some enforcement situations even when you are not hauling hazardous materials.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:01:41 AM »
This shouldn't matter much, but I thought it was very interesting that in Kansas a CDL holder is held to a DUI limit of 0.04% - regardless of what you're driving.

It's my understanding this would make having a 2-3 beers and driving home legally hazardous.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:14:02 AM »
This shouldn't matter much, but I thought it was very interesting that in Kansas a CDL holder is held to a DUI limit of 0.04% - regardless of what you're driving.

It's my understanding this would make having a 2-3 beers and driving home legally hazardous.

Nick, same here in Ohio. http://bmv.ohio.gov/cdl.stm
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 11:44:48 AM »
Nick, same here in Ohio. http://bmv.ohio.gov/cdl.stm

I think it was a national move when they went to standardize CDL licenses nationwide in the late 1980s-early 1990s
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 12:08:20 PM »
I can also prepare for and take an exam for a Hazmat endorsement, which sounds pretty easy (I'm already certified on the military side).

The exam is not exactly a cakewalk, but isn't terrible if you put in some study hours for it.
At a previous place of employment, they asked several chemists to obtain Class B with Hazmat so that we could transport materials from a warehouse down the street. All passed the Class B written and road  test the first time through, but out of 10 personnel, I think one might have passed the hazmat test on the first try.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »
I think it was a national move when they went to standardize CDL licenses nationwide in the late 1980s-early 1990s

Yeah - seems like I went out of business logging about that same time, either shortly before or shortly after.  CDL wasn't the issue, but instead the drastic increase (~500%) in insurance rates.

I was still sorta somewhat legal anyway, except maybe for the "trailer over 6000 pounds" part.  I never weighed my rig loaded and for sure the log trailer was under 6000 lbs empty  :P  :angel:

Of course you could still haul a 15,000 lb trailer with a pickup but not with a "truck"  ;/  :facepalm:  One of my "competitors" (we sorta had different markets) had a huge gooseneck and ran on non-commercial insurance.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 02:05:03 PM »
Long haul is easy to get into but a hard, lonely life. Short haul is better but not that lucrative depending on what you're doing. Class B delivery work pays poorly and has no room for growth (but then no driving career has a direct growth path). Unionized gigs such as garbagemen pay obscenely well for what they do but are hard to get. Several trades view a CDL as a plus when getting apprentices, linemen for example.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 02:18:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  I'm still trying to get full time Air Guard but a CDL job might be more lucrative in the short term than security work.

That seems likely; here in Connecticut it is 0.04% as well.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 02:31:50 PM »
Not too long ago, I was watching a show on the History Two channel about long haul truckers and serial killers.  The FBI has done research on this issue and suspects that hundreds of killings may be committed by serial killers who work as long haul truckers.  I never knew.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 02:34:43 PM »
Go ahead and get your CDL and all the endorsements but hazmat (doubles/triples, air brakes). The reason I say don't get your hazmat is because simply it's gotta be renewed on a yearly basis (IIRC) and you gotta pay that fee every time. It's a simple written test though so you can add it at any time I think. For your CDL to be valid to drive a big truck you'll also need a current DOT medical card.

Now the issue with driving as a career is that you will have the license but not the experience that you need to be hired by the better carriers. They hire truck driving school graduates because that truck driving school counts as recent experience as the insurance is concerned. They may hire you and put you through a refresher/orientation vs. the full on CDL school or you may have to go through CDL school again. Just depends. Either way you're pretty much looking at the big starter companies (Werner, Swift, Schnieder, and so forth). There are some pretty crappy companies to work for, some tolerable ones, some a bit better, etc but regardless of what company you sign on for expect to spend a lot of time away from home as an OTR driver. If you're looking to be home on a regular basis or every night this ain't your career, particuarly starting out. You can get a local/regional gig once you've got some experience but to get there is going to generally take a year or a couple of years of OTR experience. If you're a nomadic person like me that can tolerate that, you'll do a lot better. If you've got a wife/gf that wants you home frequently and you like to be home frequently, then you're gonna be unhappy most likely. The reality of it is you're spending several days to weeks on the road, sleeping in a sleeper and taking truck stop showers and eating on the road. You've got wierd hours of service laws to contend with, too that can make for an odd schedule. And you'll spend plenty of time waiting to get loaded/unloaded, where you ain't getting paid because your wheels ain't turning. Figure an average truck driver makes from 22-26k per year starting out. If you can budget yourself on that, you'll do fine (it's what I make as a park ranger, so it can be done)

There is also stuff like expediters (you'll see them in anything from a van to a Sprinter to a straight B class truck to a class A tractor trailer). You need to contact Bogie about stuff like that.

If you can endure paying your dues as an OTR driver then you can get into some pretty good gigs that pay good. Getting that experience so you can move on to a better company with more favorable terms and higher pay is the part that really blows.  

Now of course that's pure driving jobs. There are plenty of jobs out there, particuarly in the trades, where having a CDL is very advantageous because driving a bigger truck is part of the job but not the whole job (railroads, utility companies, etc).

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 03:04:36 PM »
Working in a receiving office and seeing how companies and brokers screw over the drivers, it's cured me of any occasional thoughts of driving for a living.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 03:41:57 PM »
I think that log truck driving is pretty good: you are home every night, but I imagine you need a lot of experience.  Military might count for something though.  If you have run something like a backhoe or trackhoe then you could probably learn quick to run a self loader, or dedicated loader (but the latter operators usually stay on site all day and don't drive truck).

I never did it for hire - just had my own medium duty gas engine truck.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
There are other gigs other the OTR.  LTL carriers (ABF, Yellow Freight, Fedex Freight, AAA Cooper, etc) have local delivery/pick-up drivers and route drivers (They usually work nights and have a designated run from one company terminal to another.)   They don't pay great, but they don't pay bad either.  Stay away from any union gigs.  You'll be low man on the pole and those remaining unionized companies are slowly but surely getting rid of union drivers.   

Also do get the Hazmat endorsement, yes it's an extra cost and extra bullshit, but it makes you a more desirable employee as you have all the boxes checked.  Especially for a LTL gig.  (You'll generally have set hours and be home each day.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 05:01:36 PM »
Also do get the Hazmat endorsement,

The reason I'm saying don't get the hazmat yet is wait until you are ready to start the driving career, that way if he wants to start driving say, 5 years from now then he isn't wasting a hundred bucks a year.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 06:24:02 PM »
Other options-

Yard dog (you work a companies lot and move drop trailers around as needed)
If you live near a port or rail yard, check in with folks carriers that deal with containers. Almost exclusively drop and hook. Means minimal BS.
Pallet recyclers.

Stay away from Sunco and (notso)Swift. And CH Robinson(broker, but still) is the *expletive deleted*ing devil. Of the top of my head these are the big guys that are the most likely to BS their drivers to take a load "oh yeah it'll be a quick run for ya!" when they know damn good and well we've scheduled the truck to be there for an eight hour live unload. I can probably pull up more if I think on it for a minute.

Basically to start unless you know someone most of your options are probably going to suck. It'll suck less if you don't mind being away from home with a more unpredictable schedule and have a tolerance for BS and being jerked around and can take it in stride. If you go with the "we'll train you" folks read the fine print. All of it. Twice.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 06:31:27 PM »
Yep, CH Robinson (they are noot a carrier, they are a load broker, so if you are an O/O looking for a load you can call them and they'll find you a load where you are at.  It may not be going to where you wanted to go, but tough *expletive deleted*it, oh, and CHR takes a huge cut of the fee.)  Never, ever, ever deal with CHR. 

Getting and holding the Hazmat cert may even be better if you're not going to drive right away.   "CDL A with Hazmat endorsement -5 years.".  Looks like experience on the resume.  ;)

When I worked for Airborne Express minimum required was a CDL/B with Air Brakes and Hazmat.  (Straight Truck)  All drivers had to have Hazmat.  If you are going to be a linehaul driver or local delivery driver for an LTL company, you''ll need Hazmat.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 06:41:04 PM »
Problem is if you work for a smaller carrier, odds are they are taking at least a good number of brokered (probably CHR) loads. They schedule the load, then wont bother to tell you something about the appointment, will lie to you about how long you'll be there "oh yeah, they'll have you out in a hour tops!" which often turns into eight+ hours, oh and they'll schedule you for another pickup or delivery on an LTL before you're even scheduled to be done with the first stop. And then expect you to go BS they receiving office guys, and make like it's your fault when we have to politely tell you to go pound sand.

Much fun ensues when a vendor halfway across the country screws something up and the brokered load gets refused. Not bad money if all goes smooth for you, real bitch to sit around until someone decides wtf they want you to do with it.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 08:38:24 PM »
Took an OTR driving job late last year so I'm still a rookie and can attest that if home life is important commercial drving isn't on the list of things you want to look into.

As previously noted the good gigs want about 2 years experience before even looking at you and that usually means taking a job with one of the so-called "training" companies and they all do OTR. It's mostly due to insurance I'm told and I have no doubt the nicer companies don't want newbs beating up their equipment.

As for brokered loads being a pita, hell yeah! I got on with a large meatpacker as a company driver and their loads are a breeze. Pick up a sealed trailer and take it to a receiver. Only ever had one problem so far and that was one extra case of chicken the receiver didn't want to keep. Not real fun trying to dispose of a whole case from an 18 wheeler.

Anyway if there's no company plant near your drop they'll grab a load from a broker to get you back close to a plant. This time it was avocados and the receiver rejected the entire load, initially stating spoiled due to overtemp because I turned the reefer off as a courtesy to the lumper as they unloaded. Apparently they got called out on bs and changed their tune to overripe since everyone could live with that. Whatever, I still sat there for eight hours for free and it made tomorrow that much more difficult since I'm miles away from where I wanted to be tonite. And every brokered load has been like that

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 09:49:54 PM »
Just don't get a job with jb hunt. I know someone that works for them. cut his pay jerked him around etc etc. He just can't quite because of the half decent medical coverage that he needs for his wife right now.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods