Author Topic: Binoculars  (Read 2551 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Binoculars
« on: August 23, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
Gearing up for hunting season, and I'd like a pair of binoculars. However, my optics budget is going towards a new scope so I can't afford even a couple hundred for a good entry level pair. Are there any low end (<$50) models that are even worth the hassle of buying? If I try to snag an old pair off ebay, what are some good work-a-day models that would be usable but inexpensive?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Binoculars
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 04:23:16 PM »
Ive got a pair of Nikons that are pretty damn nice for the money. Dont know the model name but they were under 75.00 new which means you should be able to.find similar quality for less used and on.closeout.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 05:09:16 PM »
Several years ago I got a set of green-ring Leupold binocs for well under $100.  I don't remember the exact price, but something around $80.

Worlds better than the crappy Simmons and Bushnell stuff I owned prior to these.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 05:16:41 PM »
i have a set of older bushnell's that stay in my truck, and have fairly decent optics for the $20 i paid for them.  the newer one's i've seen in the store are less clear, unfortunatly.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 05:25:08 PM »
i have a set of older bushnell's that stay in my truck, and have fairly decent optics for the $20 i paid for them.  the newer one's i've seen in the store are less clear, unfortunatly.

I have an older pair of Bushnell Natureview 10x42 that was given to me and they are clearer than a lot the $400 range binos I have looked through. I think they are around $200, mine was a gift from a friend who was upgrading to the $1000+ binos.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 07:53:15 PM »
Full size, mid or compact?

Preference on magnification? 7, 8, 10?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 07:57:52 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 08:30:02 PM »
Beware of poorly controlled internal reflections.  I have two Pentax binoculars, one bought (8x56DCF), one received as a gift (10x50PCF.)  Both have very low image contrast, especially when pointed toward or near a light source such as the sun or a street light at night, apparently due to shiny, unflocced, interior tubes.  Both price out at  nearly triple your preferred price point.  If a major name such as Pentax can produce such junk, off brands at a third the price are really suspect.

I look for three main qualities in binoculars:  resolution, contrast, and ruggedness.  My Pentax fail on the contrast and ruggedness.  Be prepared to buy aftermarket cases for low cost binoculars.  My Pentax optics were supplied, from the manufacturer, with nearly useless soft vinyl "cases."    My 8x56DCF broke rather early on while stowed in a gear box.  It was a wishbone break where the tubes below the focus and hinge were forced together.  Pentax repaired, or replaced, the binoculars for little more than shipping costs.  Both my Pentax 10x50PCF and Pentax 8x56DCF now live in Doskocil Deluxe Two Pistol Cases which I bought, used, at $20-$30.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 11:09:29 PM »
Full size, mid or compact?

Preference on magnification? 7, 8, 10?

I've never been hunting here or used binos much so I don't really know.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 11:13:12 PM »
I've never been hunting here or used binos much so I don't really know.

If you're doing a lot of walking, you're going to want compact or mid-sized (something with an objective between 30mm and 42mm). If you're sitting in a blind, full size (50mm +) would probably be fine.

ETA: Also, the more power you get, the larger your objective lenses need to be to maintain relative brightness. A 10x30mm is going to be dimmer than a 7x30mm. I personally wouldn't really want a 10x with a smaller objective than 50mm, unless it has really, really good optics.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 11:24:02 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 11:29:40 PM »
Reading your other thread about your scope requirements, I'd go with a 8x42mm or a 7x32mm, depending on how much walking you plan to do. Not really sure you'd need much more than that. A 10x in dense woods is a bit overkill.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 08:51:24 AM »
Spending more than $50 closer to a $100 gets you a pretty significant upgrade. It will be hard to find anything waterproof in that pricepoint in a mid size bino.

This is a quick read and should help you decide.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/binoculars.html

A couple of options under a $100

http://www.rei.com/product/853955/nikon-aculon-a211-7-x-35-binoculars

http://www.rei.com/product/708534/nikon-action-8-x-40-binoculars
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 04:30:19 PM »
You hunting east side, or west?  If east side a full size 10x would be a reasonable choice, or 9x midsize.  West side I'd go 7-9x compact or mid-size depending on personal preferences.
Formerly sumpnz

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 05:09:41 PM »
You hunting east side, or west?  If east side a full size 10x would be a reasonable choice, or 9x midsize.  West side I'd go 7-9x compact or mid-size depending on personal preferences.

West side. And the budget is what it is, hopefully next season I can spring for a better pair.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 08:05:05 PM »
Nikon is definitely the way to go.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!