Author Topic: Dove season starts Sunday  (Read 2609 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Dove season starts Sunday
« on: August 30, 2013, 11:02:35 AM »
Who is heading out?

I'm going out on Monday.  Gonna take out my Winchester M12 and bust some clays with it on Saturday.   I need to make myself a tube plug for the M12.  I figure a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe equal in length to three shot shells should do the trick.  I'll knock one out tonight.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Dove season starts Sunday
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 11:12:20 AM »
First time in several years I'm skipping opening day. Corn at the folks place hasn't been cut yet and I have to be up there for some family stuff, else if I was staying home, I would have just paid a hundred ducats to go to the local dove shoot and bbq.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 11:30:52 AM »
Technically my early pheasant season starts Sunday too.  However, that hatch that survived was late and the birds are too immature.  We are going to wait until October.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 11:35:44 AM »
That's the plan if I am walking.

I used to use a wooden pencil for a magazine plug, cut it to size and insert it in the magazine.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 11:38:19 AM »
Technically my early pheasant season starts Sunday too.  However, that hatch that survived was late and the birds are too immature.  We are going to wait until October.

We have a split dove season in CA. While going out opening day can be fun because there are a lot of still stupid birds and you get to shoot a lot, it's also 100 degrees out and not much fun for the dog (though she thinks it's fun) and a boatload of other hunters. I actually prefer going out during the second part, which starts in early Nov and runs until Christmas. Less birds, but better weather. It's also the time I like to break out my BP shotgun, since I don't get irritated by 30 birds flying over my head while I'm reloading. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 12:39:58 PM »
Who is heading out?

I'm going out on Monday.  Gonna take out my Winchester M12 and bust some clays with it on Saturday.   I need to make myself a tube plug for the M12.  I figure a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe equal in length to three shot shells should do the trick.  I'll knock one out tonight.

Mine seems to already have the block in it, since it only takes two shells in the tube.

I haven't quite figured out how to get it out  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 06:19:48 PM »
Mine seems to already have the block in it, since it only takes two shells in the tube.

I haven't quite figured out how to get it out  ???

From AR15.com...

There is a pin at the top of the magazine tube called the magazine locking pin.

Push this down and to the right and pull it out until it stops.

Using it as a lever, rotate the magazine tube counter-clockwise about 1/4 turn until it stops.

Pull the magazine tube forward until it stops.

Move the action slide/forend assembly forward until it stops. There is a action slide handle retaining spring that will keep the forend from falling back, it is a flat piece of steel. Rotate the barrel and magazine assembly 1/4 turn counter-clockwise and pull it away from the receiver.

There is a round wire spring inside a slot in the magazine locking pin. Press this spring into its slot to clear its fat rolled end and pull the pin out of the magazine tube.

Remove the 2 opposing screws at the front of the magazine tube. Remove the magazine plug and stop plate toward the front. Be careful, the magazine spring is pressing on this and it could get away. There should be a wooden plug just under this, remove it and reverse the above directions for reassembly.

You will marvel at the machine work and hand fitting that was used on this fine shotgun, all the moreso that is was a production piece, meant for mass production. Only the finest materials were used to manufacture it, nickel steel early on then Winchester Proof Steel- Chrome-Molybdenum Alloy Steel later.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 06:30:23 PM »
We have a split dove season in CA. While going out opening day can be fun because there are a lot of still stupid birds and you get to shoot a lot, it's also 100 degrees out and not much fun for the dog (though she thinks it's fun) and a boatload of other hunters. I actually prefer going out during the second part, which starts in early Nov and runs until Christmas. Less birds, but better weather. It's also the time I like to break out my BP shotgun, since I don't get irritated by 30 birds flying over my head while I'm reloading. :)

I've been thinking about doing some pheasant hunting this year in the second part. Not being to familiar with it here, since I'm originally from Kansas and would go hunting with my dad a few times, any advice on some good places to go? Distance isn't really a concern.
Man it has been hot!
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 08:13:51 PM »
I can't ever heard the words "dove season" and not immediately flash back to this story:

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2007/09/top-dove.html
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 10:53:40 PM »

You will marvel at the machine work and hand fitting that was used on this fine shotgun, all the moreso that is was a production piece, meant for mass production. Only the finest materials were used to manufacture it, nickel steel early on then Winchester Proof Steel- Chrome-Molybdenum Alloy Steel later.

I have a 1924 Model 12, mine is nickel steel.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 11:01:44 PM »
I've been thinking about doing some pheasant hunting this year in the second part. Not being to familiar with it here, since I'm originally from Kansas and would go hunting with my dad a few times, any advice on some good places to go? Distance isn't really a concern.
Man it has been hot!

I haven't been pheasant hunting in CA since the early 80s. There used to be tons of them in the San Joaquin Valley, but around the mid-80's everybody started planting citrus and other trees, which, along with the population influx, devastated pheasant cover. In the late 70's it was a pheasant hunter's paradise around where my folks live. You would be hard pressed now though, to find any in the valley outside of any private clubs where they plant them. I know there's a pheasant club off HWY138 by Lancaster, and there used to be a couple off HWY46 outside of Paso on the way to Kettleman City. There might be some up around Sacto, but I'm not familiar. I also seem to remember some kind of hunt club down by Norco. If I remember right you're around SD, so that might be the closest to you.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums  might have some more up to date info than me.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »
Headed out in a little bit. Got some decoys, a mojo and headed over to our favorite spot, the landowner even planted some sunflowers this year to assist us. Should be a good time if we can hit them.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 01:41:51 PM »
Headed out earlier today.

Bagged a couple of 'em.

Can't wait for Irish Spring season to arrive!
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 06:01:14 PM »
Headed out earlier today.

Bagged a couple of 'em.

Can't wait for Irish Spring season to arrive!

Were The Stones thinking of you?

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you find
You get what you need
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 07:45:16 PM »
I got one yesterday. He just wasn't quick enough to dodge the front corner of the hood.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 01:17:15 PM »
only had two doves come in, I missed them both. Checkout a few other dove spots and I couldn't see any working those spots either. Lots of doves on wires mocking me on the way home.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 01:58:25 PM »
Looks like a bad year for doves in central CA. I heard a lot of shooting in the distance up at my folks (corn is still up here as I mentioned, so I wasn't shooting) yesterday morning, but hardly any yesterday afternoon or this morning. Haven't seen many flying around either, not even Eurasians. Got a text from a friend who went to the shoot and BBQ where I live, and he said he basically had a $100 BBQ. The couple of times I went there in the past, I limited out in an hour.

I can't remember if doves go through fazes like rabbits. I remember a few years where it was really bad on the opener, but the second part of the season rocked. Maybe (fingers crossed) it'll be like that again this year.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 03:13:38 PM »
Never been shotgun hunting at all.  Got invited to go Dove Hunting in a few weeks.  Need to shoot a few clays this week.  I haven't shot my shot gun in a few years. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 04:53:39 PM »
I think the only clay shooting that emulates doves are battues or shondels with rocket engines on them.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 05:10:19 PM »
I think the only clay shooting that emulates doves are battues or shondels with rocket engines on them.

Or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65t-OzhlmvE

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 07:22:12 PM »
I have a good Air Force friend who signed up for one of those week-long Argentinian Dove hunts you see advertised from time to time.

He said he shot so many doves down there, and so many dove/quail loads in his Benelli that it started choking from the powder fouling and associated grime.    :O
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 07:35:27 PM »
I have a good Air Force friend who signed up for one of those week-long Argentinian Dove hunts you see advertised from time to time.

He said he shot so many doves down there, and so many dove/quail loads in his Benelli that it started choking from the powder fouling and associated grime.    :O

I've heard some of those South American dove and pigeon hunts are ridiculous. Some of the hunts they advertise in the Cabelas catalog look to be a blast, especially as a "gentleman's hunt" in the fancy lodge with the five course meals and the cognac and cigars. As much as I like "roughing it" hunts, I would really like to do one of those fancy hunts one time, though I'll probably do it in the US or Canada - the international hunts are a little too rich for my blood (not that the US ones are all that cheap).

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 09:16:28 PM »
It was over 100 degrees for opening day in Texas.  I am on vacation in the UP of MI for some fishing.  I have my Grandpa's M12 made in 1919.  I replaced the barrel with another which is cut down to riot length for HD.  When I removed the original barrel, the mag had the original Winchester wooden plug in it.  I shot alot of ducks with that gun in the old days....chris3

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 10:07:55 PM »
Went out this weekend to try out the M12 (I bought it used at a gun show).

Turns out it has a malfunctioning lifter.  I need to fix this.

So, no dove for me today.  I'd like to go out next weekend.  Anyone got a link for the M12 schematic?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 12:02:09 AM »
This might help. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Winchester-33573/Shotguns-42603/12-41794.htm

I might have a few model 12 parts around here from my brother.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG