Author Topic: Don Adams U.S.M.C. Who knew?  (Read 4774 times)

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 11:54:15 AM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Don Adams U.S.M.C. Who knew?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 09:12:15 PM »
I had no idea.  Semper Fi and RIP Marine.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 09:43:19 PM »
So many celebrities and athletes set aside their careers to serve during WWII, and not just in stateside roles, but in the combat theaters.  Wonder if there are any like that in Hollywood anymore?  :lol:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 10:25:29 PM »
So many celebrities and athletes set aside their careers to serve during WWII, and not just in stateside roles, but in the combat theaters.  Wonder if there are any like that in Hollywood anymore?  :lol:

I suspect that, given a clear cut cause such as WWII, we might find our resources stronger than the "kids-these-days..." geezers guess, even among the entertainers.  Just don't ask me to name names.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 02:18:35 AM »
Oh, just off the top of my head...

Sterling Hayden served behind the lines as an OSS operator.

Charlie Callas was in the service and did well with the .45.  Somewhere there's a pic of him with a 1911.

David Niven was a graduate of Sandhurst (roughly equivalent to West Point) and gave up his movie career for a while to serve with the British Armed Forces.

Bea Arthur ("Maude") was a Marine.

Drew Carey was a Marine.  (I'm told there's no such thing as a "former Marine."  Once you're a Marine, you're always a Marine, but never a "soldier.")

Ted Williams, of course, was a Marine fighter pilot.

I think Lee Marvin was wounded on one of those Iwos in the Pacific.

Others, of course.

Many of those in show biz served in entertainment groups in WWII, but there were many of them in the actual battlegrounds.

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 06:38:59 AM »
I suspect that, given a clear cut cause such as WWII, we might find our resources stronger than the "kids-these-days..." geezers guess, even among the entertainers.  Just don't ask me to name names.

Respectfully, I disagree - and I blame the very heroes we are talking about.  They were double survivors - The Great Depression and WWII.  They had tremendous incentive to want their children to not have to go through what they had gone through.  Baby Boomers were possibly the first generation  of Americans where, in general, it was not necessary to send at least one child out to work to help support the family - including farming families.  Boomers had the leisure to become hippies, and the influence that had on American society was/is immense.  There is a string leading directly from Haight-Ashbury to Milie Cyrus.

This is not to say that most American kids are as bad as she and her ilk.  It is to say that there is a lot of what makes her that has to be overcome in the "kids".  We have seen a bit of that with those who stood up and joined up after 9/11/01 because there was nothing else that offered any opportunity to defend their country from a second attack.  Their hearts and minds were in the right place - it was their country that was unable to step up and provide them some way of actually accomplishing what they wanted to.  But OBL and al Qida and the Taliban are not Hitler and Tojo who held territory we could battle over and would agree that when their territory was taken away from them they had lost.  (For the sake of remaining polite we will sort of gloss over the whole politics of the Vietnam War.)

Which, I think, brings be finally to my point - that the distance between the fringe and the mainstream is getting smaller.  At one time Milie Cyrus and Justin Beiber and such would have had to join a freak show to sustain themselves.  Some of the hipper-hoppier would just be gunned down as so much trash without kids ever wanting to grow up to be just like them.  As I sit here typing this the thought has flashed across what passes for my brain - was Ed Sullivan the one who caused all of today's ills by bringing Elvis and The Beatles into otherwise innocent livingrooms?

(OK, that's a clear sign I need to quit.  But everything up to that point remains pretty valid.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 11:06:28 AM »
If you want to take that path then you might blame those very same "double survivors" for abdicating their parental duties in favor of the media (does the phrase "great one-eyed babysitter" strike a familiar note?), the government, or almost anyone raising the kids.  Given the need for a "a clear cut cause such as WWII" to test my hypothesis, I'll forgo a real test.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 11:14:47 AM »
If you want to take that path then you might blame those very same "double survivors" for abdicating their parental duties in favor of the media (does the phrase "great one-eyed babysitter" strike a familiar note?), the government, or almost anyone raising the kids.  Given the need for a "a clear cut cause such as WWII" to test my hypothesis, I'll forgo a real test.

I have heard that- and there is a tiny bit of truth there-but they also did not realize the trusted institutions that were educating their children had been taken over by the enemy and turned into leftist indoctrination camps.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 11:27:29 AM »
I have heard that- and there is a tiny bit of truth there-but they also did not realize the trusted institutions that were educating their children had been taken over by the enemy and turned into leftist indoctrination camps.

Some of us thought something didn't smell right even way back then, but finally twisted free of the propaganda.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 11:32:04 AM »
...but they also did not realize...

Could that be because they weren't doing their jobs as parents?   ;)

Forgive me, in such a discussion it is all too easy to come up with such slams.  For an overdose demonstration, tune in to almost any commercial talk radio program.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 11:37:34 AM »
A better writer than I pointed out a major part of the problem:

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."

Thomas Jefferson recognized that slope, slippery or otherwise.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 12:38:53 PM »
Eddie Albert was a Navy veteran and was at the Battle of Tarawa, for which he was awarded the Bronze Star.

Jimmy Stewart few 20 millions in Europe as a bomber pilot, and was later a Brigadier General in the Air National Guard.

Charles Durning was in the Normandy Invasion and was later wounded at the Battle of the Bulge, and was almost killed when the SS massacred US troops at Malmedy.

James Arness was wounded at Anzio and was awarded the Bronze Star.

Mel Brooks was a combat engineer in Europe.

Jack Palance flew bomber missions in Europe and was almost killed when his plane crashed in Britain.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 01:11:05 PM »
Patrick Macnee (John Steed in the Avengers) was a Lieutenant in the Royal Navy and was awarded the Atlantic Star

Mel Brooks was a forward observer and was at the Battle of the Bulge.

Alan Alda really served in Korea (Army, I think)

Rod Serling was awarded a Bronze Star

James Doohan got his finger blown off on D-Day, and was also known as "the craziest pilot in Canadian AF".

There is also this interesting tendency amongst British entertainers to have served in intelligence...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 01:39:46 PM »
While Tokaguwa and Chuck Day make somewhat valid points, the real reason is "coddling".  

The "Greatest Generation" had to struggle to survive both the Great Depression and WWII  (Quite a few did not make it through either.)  I sit back in amazement of what my father went through just growing up in the Great Depression as one of three children to a widowed mother.

Human beings have to go through hardship, struggles, and deprivation to come out the other side better people.   The parents of the 50's, 60's and into the 70's had been through Hell growing up.  They didn't want their kids to have to suffer the way they did.  So we ended up with Spoiled Brat Generation of the 60's and 70's and the Even Worse Spoiled Brats of the 80's and 90's.  Followed by the Millennials, who simply take the cake.

American kids (for the most part) have had everything handed to them on a platter (Silver in most cases.)  There is no hardship, there is no suffering.  Anyone who is the parent of teenage girls understands this.  In the absence of real struggle and hardship, teenage girls create "Drama", in 99.999999999% of the instances, the reason for tears, screaming, etc. is over perceived slights, and suo shee (there are nuances of meaning) incidents.  

As an example, I coached my daughters softball teams, each year we had a draft.  Her Sophomore year, I drafted her team and when I got home she asked to see the list.  There was much screaming and gnashing of teeth (a garment might have been rendered also) and she went flying to her room in tears.  I followed and asked what the problem was.  She pointed to a name of my draft list and said "She said something mean about me in 4th grade."  I said "Really?!?!  Seriously?!?!  THAT WAS 6 YEARS AGO, LET IT GO !!!!" But all that season, there was an unresolved hostility between the two that did nothing but damage team morale.  What a bunch of gosa.

My son has the opportunity to spend a week on a working farm next summer.  While I don't expect them to hook him up to a breadboard plow and have him plow the back forty, I do expect them to put him to work with typical farm chores so that he gains an appreciation of the daily work involved that supplies him his food.  

Struggle and hardship, overcoming real challenges.  That's what made America great.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:06:56 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 03:10:34 PM »
The original hippies/beatniks would have been born in the depression and war years.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 03:56:57 PM »
The original hippies/beatniks would have been born in the depression and war years.

They were.  And generally did not become beatnicks or hippies until after the war ended.  Both lifestyles were responses to what humankind had just emerged from and the reasons they thought had created the situations they had suffered and survived.

To carry things back a generation, the parents of beatnicks and hippies belonged to the flapper generation, which was in great part in response to the horrors of The Great War.

Which in great part was in response to anarchists and labor unions and the beginnings of woman's sufferage (didn't think I had the guts to bring that up, did you?) tearing apart empires and principalities.

Which in great part developed in response to .....

If you carry it back far enough, it is all Eve's fault. >:D  (If you are not derived from Judeo-Christian thought, insert your own fall from grace story here.  If you are not Eurocentric in origin, insert your own world history here.)

Certain theories of chaos and organizations suggest that we are presently nearing a tipping point where the world can no llonger sustain doing your own thing.  Only the perversely curious part of me wants to see what comes up to save us from our long line of drifting from whatever ideal we may have drifted from.  The rest of me too easily recalls the most recent iterations of Europe and Asia and South America and Africa, and wonders why the USA and Canada seem to have avoided most of that tsuris.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 04:39:02 PM »
it is all Eve's fault

She had a fistful of apples  ;)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 04:53:58 PM »
There is also this interesting tendency amongst British entertainers to have served in intelligence...

Christopher Lee
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 06:08:56 PM »
Christopher Lee
Also Jon Pertwee (third Doctor).  He was in Naval Intelligence, together with Ian Fleming. 

Patrick Troughton, the second Doctor, was a Navy Lt., awarded the Atlantic Star.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 09:39:36 AM »
"Alan Alda really served in Korea (Army, I think)"

Nope, at least not that I can find. He was in ROTC, spent a year in service at Ft. Benning, and spent 6 months in the Army Reserve. He was born in 1936, and would have been on the edge of military service at the end of the Korean War.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
"Alan Alda really served in Korea (Army, I think)"

Nope, at least not that I can find. He was in ROTC, spent a year in service at Ft. Benning, and spent 6 months in the Army Reserve. He was born in 1936, and would have been on the edge of military service at the end of the Korean War.
Heh. Chalk another one up to rumors...

Robert A Heinlein

Levant

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 11:32:55 AM »
Boomers had the leisure to become hippies, and the influence that had on American society was/is immense.  There is a string leading directly from Haight-Ashbury to Milie Cyrus.

I hung out at the corner of Haight and Ashbury in 1969, 1970, 1971 but I had nothing to do with creating Miley Cyrus, I swear it.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 09:49:43 PM »
Thanks to those who added others to the list of the famous folks who served.  As I said, it was just off the top of my head.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 03:25:30 PM »
His is a remarkable story of survival. As a 21-year-old infantryman, Private Charles Durning was in the first wave of soldiers to land on Omaha Beach during the D-Day invasion of Normandy. He was the only man to survive a machine-gun ambush. Despite suffering serious machine gun and shrapnel wounds, Durning killed seven German gunners to survive D-Day.

Several months later, in Belgium, Durning was stabbed eight times by a bayonet-wielding teenage German soldier. That day, he survived by killing the German with a rock in hand-to-hand combat. Durning recovered from those wounds and was released from the hospital just in time to fight in the Battle of the Bulge, where he was taken prisoner.

Charles Durning was one of only three men to survive the infamous massacre of American POWs at Malmedy, Belgium. He and two others escaped, and the rest were murdered. Durning was obliged to return with American troops to identify the bodies of his fellow prisoners.

He was one tough SOB.

Dale Dye (who has been in a zillion movies cast as an officer, currently plays Porter on Falling Skies)was a career Marine who spent 4 or 5 years in Vietnam in numerous combat operations. 13 years as enlisted before becoming an officer.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Don Adams U.S.M.C. Who knew?
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 08:28:43 PM »
Iirc james coburn survived 3 island attacks in the pacific where caualties ran about 30% on each one

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I