Author Topic: The final shoe drops on partner benefits...  (Read 758 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
The final shoe drops on partner benefits...
« on: August 23, 2006, 06:57:54 AM »
I suspected this was going to happen sooner rather than later...

An effort to rectify perceived discrimination ends up... discriminating.

OLYMPIA -- One of the first tests for Washington state's new gay civil rights law has an intriguing twist: The complaint was filed by a heterosexual woman.

The state's discrimination watchdogs are investigating the case, which claims unmarried straight people should get the same domestic partner benefits as their gay and lesbian co-workers.

But officials are treading carefully, Human Rights Commission Director Marc Brenman said, because upholding the claim could set a sweeping new precedent for Washington businesses.

"We have to proceed very, very cautiously because we could be creating new policy for employers and other entities in the state," Brenman said Tuesday.

The complaint, filed last week, is one of four that have spawned full-fledged investigations under the sexual orientation section of Washington's anti-discrimination law.

It was signed by Sandi Scott-Moore, a Redmond-based employee of manufacturer Honeywell International. Scott-Moore claims health insurance coverage for her male partner was denied because the unmarried couple are not of the same gender.

Honeywell spokesman Robert Ferris said the company does provide health benefits for the partners of its gay and lesbian employees and has a zero-tolerance stand on discrimination. But the company disagrees with Scott-Moore, he said in a statement.

"We believe the claim filed with the Washington State Human Rights Commission is without merit and plan to vigorously defend our position," Ferris wrote.

The state law at issue was expanded earlier this year, when state lawmakers added sexual orientation to an existing law that prohibits discrimination in housing, employment, lending and insurance. It went into effect in July.

The measure was aimed squarely at protecting Washington's gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender residents. But its language is broader, banning any discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Joseph Fuiten, chairman of the conservative Faith and Freedom Network, said opponents of the gay rights measure predicted scenarios such as the Honeywell-related complaint.

Brenman said the commission has been deliberate with the Honeywell complaint, including outreach to state pension and insurance regulators and planned meetings with private businesses to discuss the policy implications.

"In order to finish the investigation, we're going to have to figure out what the policy is," Brenman said.

"There's a big controversy about this, and we're going to have to work through it," he added.

Jennifer Pizer, a lawyer for the gay-rights firm Lambda Legal, said similar cases have been raised elsewhere without much success. But the group generally supports efforts that are aimed at ending discrimination, she said.

"It's marital status discrimination. You're telling people, in essence, they will be paid less" because they can't get the same benefits, Pizer said.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 07:11:40 AM »
Kinda like the "fix" put in place in many business hiring decisions. You fix a (perceived or real) race- and gender-based descrimination problem by instituting a government mandated race- and gender-based hiring solution.

Yep, sounds good to me. Sigh...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 07:40:48 AM »
Kind of reminds me when on active duty, a couple would get married for the benifits a married soldier gets.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 12:56:39 PM »
Interesting.

In my state, there is an amendment in the works called the "defense of Marriage" amendment. I've just started hearing radio ads about how its not a 'gay issue' but an issue to all people who have unmarried relashionships and their legal and insurance benifits. Seems like the homosexuals in my state are unable to get much traction on their own, so need to call upon every other flavor of fornicator to jump on the freeloader bandwagon.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 01:32:32 PM »
My girlfriend works for the state. Gay and lesbian couples can be treated as a married couple for benefits. Straight unmarried couples (like us) cannot. I worked for a financial firm that had the same policy. The reasoning for denial of benefits is that straight couples could get married; gays and lesbians cannot.

Huh?

I resent the fact that our long term (18+ yrs. living together) relationship must be "approved" by a church or state for benefits. So I have to get approval for our relationship, but gays and lesbians don't? I think that is discrimination right there.

My current employer gives benefits to all couples, married or unmarried, straight or gay. I think they saw this problem coming.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 02:10:58 PM »
My company has that policy, same sex couples can get bennifits.

I understand strait couples could get married but why should they have to if they choose not to?

I wonder if gays have put put up with the same amount of crap if their relationship ends?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 03:25:44 PM »
Yup...

People tend to look at me funny whenever I tell them that minorities have more rights than "majorities".  But it's demonstrably true, as this story tends to illustrate.  Every one of our nation's minority rights protections can be more accurately described as majority discrimination.  Any program or law that makes use of race/sex/religion/orientation is inherently discriminatory, and is morally and Constitutionally wrong.

It's long past time to end the institutional discrimination against straights, caucasians, Christians, and men.