Author Topic: The Road  (Read 5878 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Road
« on: September 07, 2013, 02:54:35 PM »
"The Road" just got put on Netflix Instant so I rewatched it last night. Holy hell, I forgot just how dark it is. A good reminder movie though, that SHTF ain't fun.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: The Road
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 03:18:52 PM »
Yup. 

Pro-Tip: Don't read that book on a tree stand during the middle of winter, just after a heavy snow.  You'll want to open a vein (down, not across).

Chris

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 03:23:19 PM »
I thought The Road was depressing so I read Child of God. WTF Cormac?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 04:04:37 PM »
When they were first available for rental, I watched The Road and Book of Eli back-to-back.  Book of Eli is almost a comedy by comparison.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 04:12:57 PM »
When they were first available for rental, I watched The Road and Book of Eli back-to-back.  Book of Eli is almost a comedy by comparison.

"Book of Eli" is one of my favorite films, but you're right on the comparison.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 04:44:26 PM »
The Road is indeed dark. But then, I like dark movies. I always wonder how the world came to be in such a state (in the movie) though I suspect something such as the Yellowstone caldera going all splodey.

Yup. 

Pro-Tip: Don't read that book on a tree stand during the middle of winter, just after a heavy snow.  You'll want to open a vein (down, not across).

Chris

Did the book tell about the cause of the crappy weather and conditions?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 05:02:08 PM »
The Road is indeed dark. But then, I like dark movies. I always wonder how the world came to be in such a state (in the movie) though I suspect something such as the Yellowstone caldera going all splodey.

Did the book tell about the cause of the crappy weather and conditions?

No, because the book is one big long metaphor for McCarthy being relatively old, and having a young son at an old age and knowing he'll die of old age before his son reaches adulthood. So the actual "whys and hows" aren't important.

However, when McCarthy was pressed in interviews and such, he did have vague ideas the disaster was a nuclear war, or at least "man made" somehow. However, even with some reasonable suspension of disbelief, that's bunk. Your idea of the Yellowstone caldera going up, or perhaps asteroid/comet impact is more in line with what it would take to create the conditions in "The Road".

Full scale nuclear war, even at the peak of deployable/deliverable warheads in the 1980's, and if distributed to create maximum casualties and infrastructure collapse worldwide, and as much fire, smoke, and ash as possible, rather than an attempt at more rational tactical or strategic goals, there'd be a LOT of empty wild areas left relatively untouched. And climatalogical models refined since Carl Sagan proposed "Nuclear Winter", from evidence such as volcanic eruptions, and even the oil fires of the first Iraq war, show the particulate cooling from a 100% nuclear exchange wouldn't make much difference in world climate.

And the land would bounce back very quickly, much like how the animal populations of the Cheyrnobyl exclusion zone, except for some hot spots, the cessation of human activity, agriculture, roads etc. has been more beneficial than the radiation harmful.

I think they've also found that most animals in nature don't normally live long enough to suffer the effects of long term low-dose exposure.
I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 05:31:30 PM »
I think they've also found that most animals in nature don't normally live long enough to suffer the effects of long term low-dose exposure.

So, you're saying that if we humanoids wanted to be more natural about our lives, we'd die sooner so we wouldn't have to worry so much about dying later?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 05:38:10 PM »
So, you're saying that if we humanoids wanted to be more natural about our lives, we'd die sooner so we wouldn't have to worry so much about dying later?

Nah, we've been using technology, even if it's just sticks and rocks to prolong our survival, we operate on a different paradigm. Although concentrations of certain isotopes up the food chain in some apex predators and certain plants is something to watch out for...
I promise not to duck.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 09:42:20 PM »

Is it also the difference between linear no threshold assumptions vs latest evidence that that model might be bunk?
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 02:01:40 PM »
However, when McCarthy was pressed in interviews and such, he did have vague ideas the disaster was a nuclear war, or at least "man made" somehow. However, even with some reasonable suspension of disbelief, that's bunk. Your idea of the Yellowstone caldera going up, or perhaps asteroid/comet impact is more in line with what it would take to create the conditions in "The Road".

Could also be caused by a gamma ray burst.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Lee

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 11:23:45 AM »
His central theme seems to be that given the right conditions many people will revert to being like animals or worse, and that our species has not really changed. Each generation thinks they have evolved to a higher level- then along comes a Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Taliban, etc.etc.  He makes a valid, yet depressing point.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 11:45:23 AM »
His central theme seems to be that given the right conditions many people will revert to being like animals or worse, and that our species has not really changed. Each generation thinks they have evolved to a higher level- then along comes a Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Taliban, etc.etc.  He makes a valid, yet depressing point.

etc Obama etc etc ....   =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 08:22:57 AM »
"The Road" just got put on Netflix Instant so I rewatched it last night. Holy hell, I forgot just how dark it is. A good reminder movie though, that SHTF ain't fun.

I hated it enough to start writing my own books. Bleak post-modern nothingness, blah blah. There is a reason why in the parody APS version, they both get shot in the leg and marked for the cannibals.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 10:01:46 AM »
"Are y'all Americans, or incompetent whining nihilists who see post-modern despair as literary deepness?  Stand up tall, glare and shake your fist defiantly if you're Americans.  If yer one of 'em post-modern nihilists filled with angst and misunderstood deepness, run around with a circle flapping yer arms."

The greatest words ever attributed to me.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 03:13:01 PM »
I hated it enough to start writing my own books. Bleak post-modern nothingness, blah blah. There is a reason why in the parody APS version, they both get shot in the leg and marked for the cannibals.

Did you ever publish anything Rev? I'm still waiting for a chance to give you money for a book. :)
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 04:04:19 PM »

I always thought the character of the Boy was sweet and wonderful in his innocence even in the face of life post Armageddon.

So I'm thinking you wouldn't eat a great kid like that all at once.  Less of a flight risk if he can only hop too.
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 04:16:02 PM »
Did you ever publish anything Rev? I'm still waiting for a chance to give you money for a book. :)

Turning it into three books.

First book is about the apocalypse and surviving it. It's based off a conversation between birdman and myself that we had during a blizzard in Wisconsin. Second book is Tales from the Apocalypse. Third is mentally set but am not disclosing, but fairly logical. Probably bad form, but I'm writing all three at the same time.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 04:48:29 PM »
Turning it into three books.

First book is about the apocalypse and surviving it. It's based off a conversation between birdman and myself that we had during a blizzard in Wisconsin. Second book is Tales from the Apocalypse. Third is mentally set but am not disclosing, but fairly logical. Probably bad form, but I'm writing all three at the same time.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY !!!!*

=D =D =D =D

(To quote Tam.)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 06:08:38 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 04:50:09 PM »
Oh, and would this be a movie appropriate for 12-13 year old boys on Halloween?   (He's having a sleep over.)

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 05:33:13 PM »
Oh, and would this be a movie appropriate for 12-13 year old boys on Halloween?   (He's having a sleep over.)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/parentalguide?ref_=tt_stry_pg
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 06:05:44 PM »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/parentalguide?ref_=tt_stry_pg

"The Feel Good Hit of the Summer !!"

(And the library has not one, but three copies !!!  Colour me surprised !!!)

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 07:41:42 PM »
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY !!!!*

=D =D =D =D

(To quote Tam.)

Who's Tam?

That's a famous Fry quote from Futurama.
http://youtu.be/lQISgWx_-Yw
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 08:37:49 PM »
Who's Tam?

That's a famous Fry quote from Futurama.
http://youtu.be/lQISgWx_-Yw

Classic.  :rofl:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 11:50:38 AM »
Who's Tam?

Did he say that?

Did you really say that?

Are kidding me ??

Are your farking kidding me ??

Tamara from View from the Porch, A gun blog filled with your daily recommended allowance of snark.

http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.