Author Topic: Motorboating  (Read 2598 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Motorboating
« on: September 08, 2013, 10:18:47 PM »
No, not that kind of motorboating, but the audio distortion type.

(Now that I got your attention with the accurate but misleading title)  After being out of town for a week and a half, I'm catching up on editing the sermon MP3 files from my church and getting them posted to a public google-docs folder.  The one from last week has a low-pitched "chirp chirp chirp" with a fast rise time and slower decay that occurs a couple of times.  No idea what it's from, but it's in both stereo channels.  (I wonder if it picked up something from the ceiling fan)  I'm trying to figure out how to filter it out using Audacity.  If I could just clip it to the level of the speech that would help quite a bit, but I don't see any way to do that.  Also didn't see anything useful in the noise filtering options. 

Any suggestions?  BTW, the file has a bit rate of 128kbps and a sample rate of 44 khz, I haven't downsampled it yet -- not sure if that matters.
"It's good, though..."

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Motorboating
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 10:50:18 PM »
I feel deceived.  :'(
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 10:57:39 PM »

Here you go.. Make sure you listen to the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0O0nzkESTI
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 11:58:58 PM »

Just go get you a big ol' gal and go to town then...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 12:00:36 AM »
Here you go.. Make sure you listen to the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0O0nzkESTI

*expletive deleted* LITTLE BIG TOWN. *expletive deleted* *expletive deleted* *expletive deleted*

THANK GOD they stopped playing that song on the radio every other *expletive deleted* SONG. It only took them a year to finally drop it to "played a couple times a day" status.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 12:31:46 AM »
I found an Audacity filter that didn't totally get rid of the noise but got rid of most of it; under the "Effect" menu, it's called "Hard Limiter".  I played with different clipping levels, and setting the dB limit to -20.0 cleaned it up pretty good without overly affecting the speech.
"It's good, though..."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 01:32:36 AM »
Just delete the audio in those parts.  As long as you don't go over about 18.5 minutes you'll likely get away with it.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 05:28:09 AM »
*expletive deleted* LITTLE BIG TOWN. *expletive deleted* *expletive deleted* *expletive deleted*

THANK GOD they stopped playing that song on the radio every other *expletive deleted* SONG. It only took them a year to finally drop it to "played a couple times a day" status.

I know your pain. Everytime it came on the radio it took every ounce of self restraint I had to not shoot the radio.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 05:39:13 AM »
I know your pain. Everytime it came on the radio it took every ounce of self restraint I had to not shoot the radio.

I feel the same way about John Mellencamp's Small Town. That *expletive deleted*it is country posing as rock and it should get the *expletive deleted*ck off my rock station.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 10:56:46 AM »
I feel the same way about John Mellencamp's Small Town. That *expletive deleted* is country posing as rock and it should get the *expletive deleted* off my rock station.

I *expletive deleted*ing hate that song too so it needs to die and never be played again. Ever.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 11:01:24 AM »
cell phone ringers can induce audio distortions upon mic cabler
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 07:54:03 AM »
^ Good point.  My first cell phone's periodic "handshaking" with the nearest cellphone tower would come through my radio.  Maybe you could ask people to shut off their phones before coming in.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 08:07:11 AM »
I *expletive deleted* hate that song too so it needs to die and never be played again. Ever.

As I tell me wife when she hates the music I listen too. "That artist/band/whatever made more money during their time of popularity then either of use will make in several lifetimes."
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536