Author Topic: Any web design wizards around?  (Read 2042 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Any web design wizards around?
« on: September 18, 2013, 10:36:06 PM »
My wife wants a web site for what she hopes will be a home-based business. She has now had three (or four?) different people from her native country take a crack at it. Three years have expired, and we still don't have a web site. I'm going to have to do it myself ... and I don't know beans about HTML or web site creation.

Question: Wife really likes photos with "soft" frame -- where the page background fades out and the edges of the photo fade in.

How does one DO that?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Any web design wizards around?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 10:49:47 PM »
Adobe Flash
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 10:57:59 PM »
Adobe Flash

Anymore, CSS can do that kind of thing too.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 11:21:30 PM »
I have a business that makes web sites for folks.  =D

You can do it a couple ways. Flash is one, JavaScript is another.

Two options. Hire a professional, or troll web snippet/template sites until you find something similar. License the code if paid version, or stick to GPL code.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 11:25:03 PM »
The more important question, what is the purpose of the site?
Sell a product?
Informational?
Etc.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 11:25:15 PM »
Rev I need to talk with you about that. Gonna need a website for my welding business. Nothing fancy, just good solid website.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 11:46:08 PM »
Are you asking how to make the border of an image gradient to transparent?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 12:08:20 AM »
Are you asking how to make the border of an image gradient to transparent?

Ummm ... yeah, that sounds like what I want.

I think.

"Feathered border"? Is that the same thing?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 12:15:24 AM »
Ummm ... yeah, that sounds like what I want.

I think.

"Feathered border"? Is that the same thing?

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 12:19:35 AM »
So are these images static, or do they bleed via motion with the background?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 06:31:48 AM »
So are these images static, or do they bleed via motion with the background?

Static. Just a photo with a soft edge that fades into the page background.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 07:00:35 AM »
Static. Just a photo with a soft edge that fades into the page background.
Then I wouldn't mess with either flash or JavaScript.  You can do that in Photoshop or Gimp. Save the image as a PNG with transparency and you will be fine. Less work for the browser to do and it will look good on more platforms. You should be able to set up an action or whatever the Gimp equivalent is to make it easy to run on images.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 09:17:46 AM »
Rev I need to talk with you about that. Gonna need a website for my welding business. Nothing fancy, just good solid website.

Tis what we unofficially specialize in. Good, functional sites that make it easy to get the info to where it needs to go. The pricing reflects it.

Then I wouldn't mess with either flash or JavaScript.  You can do that in Photoshop or Gimp. Save the image as a PNG with transparency and you will be fine. Less work for the browser to do and it will look good on more platforms. You should be able to set up an action or whatever the Gimp equivalent is to make it easy to run on images.

Except each and every product will require the treatment.  It may still be the way to go. OR, making a transparent overlay. You'd only need to do one per size.

I was thinking specifically of jQuery.  It's already done on a regular basis.
http://www.bennadel.com/blog/1014-Creating-Transparent-Gradients-With-jQuery.htm
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 03:05:41 PM »
Good, functional sites that make it easy to get the info to where it needs to go.

Ditto times elebinty bazillion.

Flashy, spastic, grandiose websites are great for marketing... and SUUUUUUUUCCKK as electronic storefronts.  If you want to use them for the marketing side of the eStore, great.  Knock yourself out.  But ditch the interactive windows, sliders, cute little pop ups, and "can you believe how neat this is" features on the product selection / customer interaction pages.  High-zoot whizbangery on that page is distracting, confusing, and generally just annoying as hell.  Make the product selection and payment pages simple, straightforward, obvious, and intuitive.  Lemme pick the damned item, select any options, and pay for it without having to learn the frakking page controls, or dealing with your version of Microsoft Clip popping up all over the place and bugging the crap out of me.  Follow-me dialog boxes should be punishable by death.

Example of how to do it wrong (product selection is confusing and it is very, very, very easy to not get what you think you've selected):
www.v2cigs.com

Example of how to do it right:
www.amazon.com

Brad
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 03:23:20 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 03:27:48 PM »
Ditto times elebinty bazillion.

Flashy, spastic, grandiose websites are great for marketing... and SUUUUUUUUCCKK as electronic storefronts.  If you want to use them for the marketing side of the eStore, great.  Knock yourself out.  But ditch the interactive windows, sliders, cute little pop ups, and "can you believe how neat this is" features on the product selection / customer interaction pages.  High-zoot whizbangery on that page is distracting, confusing, and generally just annoying as hell.  Make the product selection and payment pages simple, straightforward, obvious, and intuitive.  Lemme pick the damned item, select any options, and pay for it without having to learn the frakking page controls, or dealing with your version of Microsoft Clip popping up all over the place and bugging the crap out of me.  Follow-me dialog boxes should be punishable by death.

Brad

Problem is getting paid enough to make it worth while. We're sticking mostly to the B2B market, but also bars slash bands market. Theoretically, folks that understand if you want quality, you need to pay for it. Bottom of the barrel is cheap, but you get what you pay for. I often tell folks that want to buy cheap hosting "Ask them if they back up their hosting".

Plus a lot of them try to be artists. Another standard line I use on customers that want zazz. "What do you go to a business web site for? - Hours, address, phone number, 9 out of 10 times? - So, what should we focus on?"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
Found it.

It is called a "feather" edge. Moderately easy to do in Photoshop ... which, of course, we don't have. Thanks to the deity of your choice, however, we do have freeware. There is an open source image editing package out there called GIMP, and a variant on that called GimpShop that makes it look a bit more like Photoshop. And, with a small bit of a learning curve, I think I'm getting a handle on it.

Unedited photo of Torres del Paine national park in Chile:

Same image, with rounded corners and feathered edges:

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 08:50:41 PM »
so you wife wants a car but she is hung up on the color of the lightbulb in the glove box...
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 08:52:39 PM »
edges need to fade to 100 percent transparent so that the picture floats on the background

the image must be a png file to support transparency
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 01:08:30 AM »
edges need to fade to 100 percent transparent so that the picture floats on the background

the image must be a png file to support transparency

Thank you for that, Sir. I probably would never have figured that out on my own.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 07:13:51 PM »
Not a gimp expert, but you should be able to make an overlay with the appropriate transparent borders.  Might be able to reuse that.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 08:48:33 PM »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!